• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Hamilton looks at Bufotenine in Season 3 of Pharmacopiea

Migrated topic.

JefFlux

Rising Star
I think this is my favourite episode of the new season thus far...fascinating how overlooked Bufotenine has been, with Ott seemingly the only one to write about its visionary potential and given its earlier discovery than other tryptamines. Hamilton looks mostly at Anadenanthera/Cebil in this episode:

Hamilton's Pharmacopeia S03E05 Bufotenine: In Search of Hataj | Hamilton's Pharmacopeia Season 3

...yeh - I'm figuring that actually happened to him and he's integrated it into the show. He also seems to have adopted a more evolved cinematic aesthetic than previous seasons...there's some cool graphics and photography (even kinda 'arty' in places)

I like how Hamilton doesn't try to suffocate you with his knowledge/experience, unlike many psychedelic figures in modern mediasphere.

Hamilton has been an integral part in my re-entry into the world of psychedelics and plant medicines. I love his objective viewpoints and his dedication to responsible journalism. I would not be the man I am today without his influences (as well as many others).

That was a cool video.

Bufotenine is probably one of the most underestimated psychedelic substances.

I usually take it with other psychedelics because you need less of it then to achieve very spectacular results.

The same effects that cause the nausea when larger quantities are taken, are extremely pleasurable and euphoric in smaller quantities.
It gives a very warm and pleasant sort of mellow feeling, and the sensation of floating.

It has some characteristics of the stoned feelings you can get from weed, but also a bit of the mellowness of mescaline, and it is a bit like a strong caffeine or mild nicotine buzz as well.

People who also suffer from motion sickness are probably more likely to get very nauseous from it though, so if you have that a lot it probably isn't something you would enjoy. Or maybe you should take something against motionsickness beforehand.

Smoking is the most effective method of taking it by far, with the least side effects.

Snorting it may be a more effective method than taking it sublingually, but i personally think the chance of accidentally swallowing some of it is smaller when you take it sublingually.

You don't want to swallow it.

I was wondering two things about this episode:

In an earlier episode he shows how to Toad it, but converting 5-Methoxytryptamine to 5-MeO-DMT, with NaBH4 and formaldehyde.

Soooo... if one wants to boof it without Adenantera perigrina, could Hamilton's earlier synthesis be used to make boof just by using 5-HO-Tryptamine (serotonin) as the precursor)?

FTY, I don't know how much 5-MeO-tryptamine costs, but for something that's just a neurotransmitter (and an extremely abundant one too), serotonin is ridiculously expensive!

So maybe extracting it from sebil is ultimately the more viable route (especially since it doesn't involve squeezing slimy toads).

I can't comment on the synth part but bufotenine is reasonably easy to extract from Anadenanthera seeds... it's just not very easy to have a nice looking clean freebase crystal ime (maybe someone already solved the best re-x solvent or dual solvent combination for it and im just not up-to-date on it). It's pretty easy to come with decent looking fumarate crystals by doing FASA though..

Yeah that was a great episode.. very curious about bufotenine!

Season 3 was top notch film making.. love the Lazy lizard school of Hedonism and the Salvia episodes. Hamilton does really great work.. its unfortunate to see people have been so vicious in attacking him lately for his employment with Compass (especially considering Ceruvia/Usona's Carey Turnbull is doing much of the same while making out its just Compass doing this).. To me people are still getting locked in cages for this stuff and that should be the most important issue. And patenting is likely not going to stop people from being able to pick/grow mushrooms/experience them outside of a therapeutic setting. I doubt this is the intention and suspect its more of a technicality than anything.

Not condoning patenting compounds by the way.. there are some legimate concerns around the corporatization of these compounds by big pharma,but I think the reasons for doing so are not always so black and white as trying to monopolize the market. The patents are largely to cover the expenses these companies require to get these substances over the line. I wouldn't worry too much about the availability of psilocybin mushrooms. They're not going anywhere. Anyways, its a very complicated issue.. but I see Carey Turnbull acting very similarly to Peter Thiel.. but perhaps a little more of a wolf in sheeps clothing .. Carey Turnbull is doing a lot of the same stuff Compass do its just that most of the focus is on his not for profit company Usona.. which isn't his only company

Hamilton and Jason Wallach are doing really great work and obviously are in love with the art of chemistry. I also really admire the conservation work he is doing for the Bufo Alvarius too. That last season really was fantastic and beautifully shot.. shame there won't be another one but glad he has decided to pursue chemistry as well.

And @PanSeq no discussion of sourcing, or selling illegal drugs at the nexus.. you can read more about why in the attitude section.

Sorry wandered a little off topic.

Last edited:
Soooo... if one wants to boof it without Adenantera perigrina, could Hamilton's earlier synthesis be used to make boof just by using 5-HO-Tryptamine (serotonin) as the precursor)?
Just to address this particular question, phenols have something of a habit of condensing with formaldehyde, albeit under acidic conditions, so I'd expect some difficulties with using this route to bufotenine (although I haven't expressly checked the literature yet, nor is the place for too much synth discussion).

TO clarify, what I spoke on wasnt an illegal drug nor controlled. Appreciate the concern.
To further clarify, it's prudent to exercise discretion in such matters. Think of it as analogous to MHRB sourcing and hopefully you'll understand where we're coming from.

Those who know already know, and those who need to know will be able to join up the dots for themselves.

To further clarify, it's prudent to exercise discretion in such matters. Think of it as analogous to MHRB sourcing and hopefully you'll understand where we're coming from.

Those who know already know, and those who need to know will be able to join up the dots for themselves.
I respect that. I'll practice refrain in the future

Back
Top Bottom