• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Science paper Harmane from autumn olive as potential MAOI

Pure science papers to share and discuss.
1.) Dynamics of accumulation and distribution of β-carboline alkaloids in Elaeagnus species cultivated in Moscow Region - Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal
2.) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0014299994905746?via=ihub

I'm not sure this belongs here, but I cannot find a better place, perhaps a thread could be added to this section on lesser known beta-carbolines that show promise as MAOIs or, since there are very few posts in this section, perhaps this section could be combined with other sections regarding research on beta-carbolines.

Regardless;
I was reading the Nexian issue 2 when I saw that the bark of Autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) which grows near me (and has delicious edible berries) has been shown to contain significant amounts of beta-carbolines (paper 1), a rather broad spectrum of molecules which contains harmala alkaloids. After a little digging I found that the main beta-carboline it contains is harmane. Harmane is similar to harmine but lacks the methoxy group on the 7th carbon. I decided to do some research into the established MAOI effects of harmane and found a paper (paper 2 above) that demonstrates MAO-A inhibition at nanomolar concentrations in vivo in rats. Furthermore they state in the abstract that "It has been postulated that harman operates as a natural inhibitor of monoamine oxidase type A in mammals." (paper 2)

Harmane has not been found in the berries of Autumn olive as far as I can tell, but I also cannot find a paper that attempts to extract it from the berries. Additionally the effects of harmane on MAO in humans is not well documented either.

Sincerely,

Tryptamine enthusiast

I plan to eat a large amount of autumn olive berries this upcoming fall (something I do anyway) and then consume vaporized DMT to see if I notice longer lasting effects. I might also make an ayahuasca type brew with the autumn olive bark, but only once I ensure that the bark does not contain any other toxic compounds. I will post in this thread with updates when I do.

Ott noted in "Ayahusca Analogues" that oral doses of harman at 250mg were not successful in activating oral DMT. There are a few links to papers on the pharmacology of harman to be found in the archives with a bit of digging around. My hazy recollection is that it principally has action as a GABA-ergic anxiolytic, although I'd advise you check that in the literature.

As a footnote to that, I found that tea from the bark of the related plant, sea buckthorn, appeared to dull and weaken the psychedelic experience slightly, although this was with weak doses. I'd regard my own data here as weak, too 😆

Interesting, I probably should have checked that section first, it seems quite possible that harman dulls the experience due to competitive binding with the HT2A receptor though that is mostly speculation on my part.

Interesting, I probably should have checked that section first, it seems quite possible that harman dulls the experience due to competitive binding with the HT2A receptor though that is mostly speculation on my part.
Amazingly, that was the impression I was getting too, that something from the sea buckthorn (which also contains harman) was blocking the effects. Did you look up the figures for harman's 5-HT binding affinity?

Ott noted in "Ayahusca Analogues" that oral doses of harman at 250mg were not successful in activating oral DMT. There are a few links to papers on the pharmacology of harman to be found in the archives with a bit of digging around. My hazy recollection is that it principally has action as a GABA-ergic anxiolytic, although I'd advise you check that in the literature.

As a footnote to that, I found that tea from the bark of the related plant, sea buckthorn, appeared to dull and weaken the psychedelic experience slightly, although this was with weak doses. I'd regard my own data here as weak, too 😆
Isn't Harman(e) the main beta carboline in Passionflower?

Yes, when boiled together with rue, elaeagnaceae bark seem to weaken the DMT, unless utilized in a ridiculously small ratio, and that is for anyone who actually appreciates the modulation from the tiny amount. But drank separately, as the first brew at least half an hour before the rue, it does not weaken the experience and adds a wonderful masculine focus and centeredness.

It depends on the species and variety - this may be covered in the passionflower/passiflora thread that I'm currently trying to find.

Those search terms both throw up various results but I'm yet to find the one I was thinking of. These might be of some use, perhaps:

Back
Top Bottom