• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

How to dye clothes with Harmala?

josboaz

Esteemed member
Okay, in the past I have put Harmala seeds in a jar filled with 92% ethanol alcohol. This produced a dark red liquid.
I had tried to dye my white T-shirts with this dark dye, but my T-shirts did not fully converted over to dark red, but rather turned light pink.
This there someone here that have experience with dying clothes either through regular means or through dye from Harmala.

Beware, you might be flying in your new cloths!
Syrian Rue has been traditionally used for dyeing wool for carpets in the middle east. Some suggest that this could be a part of the stories of flying carpets :)

You might want to look into mordants.These are substances that fix the dye into cloth more firmly. Something like alum or zinc sulfate might do the job - but that's purely an educated guess.
I read that Zinc sulfate has the following properties:

"Zinc sulfate is very harmful to the eyes and also irritates the respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract. After ingestion, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting may occur."

1. What kind of PPE should I be wearing when manipulating this chemical?
2. What are the key safety protocols when working with Zinc sulfate?
3. Let's say I have one liter of Enthanol extract how much Zinc sulfate should I add to this liquid?

I read that Zinc sulfate has the following properties:

"Zinc sulfate is very harmful to the eyes and also irritates the respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract. After ingestion, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting may occur."

1. What kind of PPE should I be wearing when manipulating this chemical?
2. What are the key safety protocols when working with Zinc sulfate?
3. Let's say I have one liter of Enthanol extract how much Zinc sulfate should I add to this liquid?
If you've been unable to find any specific data about preparing mordant baths of any kind, I would suggest you wear gloves and goggles while preparing a weak (~2g/L) aqueous solution of the zinc sulfate. Use small samples (~5cm squares) of the fabric you intend to dye and make sure you can identify each fabric sample uniquely.

The fabric is soaked thoroughly in the mordant bath, sufficient that it penetrates the fibres completely - but not for too long since the mordant could destroy the fabric when present in excesses of concentration, time or temperature!

You then need to adjust each of these variables for both the mordant bath and the dye bath, and also pay heed to the ratio of fabric (by mass) and the amount of dye baths.

Check once more for better information from experienced home dyers, since this will guide you in your experimentation; the above is a general experimental technique for optimising your dyeing process (assuming your harmala red is even suitable for dyeing!) Check out the video on process optimization from NightHawkInLight on YT for methods of testing multiple variables at once, otherwise going through the permutations of all the different factors will take a long time!

Microsoft Bing AI chatbot Response to OP's first post.

Dyeing clothes with natural dyes like those from harmala seeds can be a bit tricky, especially when it comes to achieving vibrant colors on cotton fabrics. The light pink color you’ve obtained instead of dark red suggests that the dye may not have bonded effectively with the fabric. This is where mordants come into play.
Mordants are substances used to fix dyes onto fabrics, ensuring that the color adheres well and remains vibrant after washing. For cotton, which is a plant-based fiber, mordants like alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) or iron sulfate can be used12. Here’s a simplified process you might follow:
  1. Pre-wash your T-shirts to remove any impurities that might interfere with dye absorption.
  2. Prepare a mordant bath using your chosen mordant. For alum, a common ratio is about 15% of the weight of the fabric.
  3. Soak the T-shirts in the mordant bath. The duration can vary, but it’s typically around an hour or two.
  4. Rinse the T-shirts to remove excess mordant.
  5. Dye your T-shirts with the harmala dye. The mordant should help the fabric take up the dye more effectively.
  6. After dyeing, rinse the T-shirts in cold water until the water runs clear.
Remember, natural dyeing is as much an art as it is a science, and results can vary. It might take some experimentation to get the exact shade you’re looking for. Also, be mindful of safety precautions when handling mordants, as some can be toxic.
For more detailed guidance and experiences, you might want to check out discussions on platforms like Reddit’s dyeing subreddit3, where individuals share their dyeing projects and advice. Additionally, resources like Domestika offer tutorials on textile dyeing with plant-based pigments, which could provide you with more insights into the process.
Keep in mind that the quality of the final color can also depend on factors like the type of fabric, the concentration of the dye, the duration of dyeing, and even the water pH. Happy dyeing!

ChatGPT response to OP's first post.

It sounds like you're experimenting with natural dyes, which can be a fascinating process! Using Harmala seeds to dye clothes is a unique idea, but it seems like you didn't achieve the color intensity you were aiming for. There could be several reasons for this outcome:

1. Concentration of Dye The concentration of the dye in your solution might not have been strong enough to fully saturate the fabric and produce a deep red color. You might need to experiment with different concentrations or extraction methods to increase the dye content.

2. Fabric Type The type of fabric you're dyeing can affect the outcome. Natural fibers like cotton tend to absorb dyes more readily than synthetic fibers like polyester. If your T-shirts were made of synthetic material, they might not have absorbed the dye as well, resulting in a lighter color.

3. Mordants Mordants are substances used to set dyes in fabrics. They can help improve color fastness and intensity. You might want to experiment with different mordants to see if they enhance the color of your dye.

4. pH Levels The pH level of your dye bath can also influence the color outcome. Some dyes react differently to acidic or alkaline conditions. Adjusting the pH of your dye bath might help achieve a deeper color.

5. Processing Time and Temperature The duration and temperature of the dyeing process can impact the final color. Experimenting with longer dyeing times or higher temperatures could help achieve a darker shade.

If you're looking to improve your dyeing results, you might want to consult resources on natural dyeing techniques or seek advice from experienced dyers. They can offer insights and tips based on their own experiences with similar materials and processes.

Back
Top Bottom