• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Jung says that your earliest childhood dreams predict your fate in life - is this superstition?

Migrated topic.

ajlala

Rising Star
Jung said that your earliest childhood dreams predict your fate. And in particular, whether those dreams had a happy or sad ending, would match the future life of his patients.

Do you think this is superstition? Or have you had some experience of this coming true.

(My earliest childhood dreams are quite dark, with unhappy endings - even though my childhood was very happy).

only child hood dream I have is that I was a fire dog, a dalmatian to be specific, or well I was looking at one, for the duration of it.... Not sure where this leaves me.

Vreality said:
only child hood dream I have is that I was a fire dog, a dalmatian to be specific, or well I was looking at one, for the duration of it.... Not sure where this leaves me.
It sounds pretty positive, or just like you were a dalmatian in your past (or future) incarnation.

I had three very strong early childhood dreams (or rather nightmares), which I remember in great detail - each one had an unhappy ending which woke me up in fear, and was seared into my memory.

(So I'm really hoping that Jung was wrong about this topic).

I had vivid, terrifying nightmares throughout my childhood. I still remember them today. I then developed recurring dreams of being chased, being in airplanes falling out of the sky, and variations on nuclear apocalypse.

I've got a very happy life (though maybe I'm a *tiny* bit neurotic, but better with psychedelics!) so I'm not buying the original thesis. I do like Jung tho!

:d

Oh and if it helps with your research ajlala, I'm over 40, so I feel confident in my assessment that the prophecy has been thwarted in my case. Unless... unless all the bad shit has been waiting for me and my life is about to go to hell in a handbasket...?

:shock:

A lot of my child dreams were running away from a threat (in whatever form) and I feel like glued or unable to really run away, something drags me hard and the threat has a chance to catch up with me. Never was there the final confrontation with the threat, it was more the panic of not getting out, not getting away, not able to hide, etc etc.. feeling like a sitting duck for a threat.

I cannot relate that to anything for my later adult life, to be honest. I'm sure that a handful of imagination could bind the two eventually, but then it would feel forced to prove something.

Thanks guys - that's re-assuring.

Do you find no connection then, between the message of the dreams, and your life?

Because I do to some extent, but it's still early...

My understanding of the term fate is not having control over your life, it's just predestined. I would consider this such a waste of humanity; And if fate were true, what happens to spiritual evolution?

Again my personal belief is that we are the creators of our own reality.

Than again, if one believes in there heart that all is determined by fate, this is not wrong either as there is no right or wrong in this experiment, only variations of frequencies and experiences. What one believes is truth, it is truth and there personal reality. So one man's sin (if there were such a thing) is another mans pleasure and not sin for him. There is nothing static, only that which you believe to be static. Whatever you want to believe, is your truth and reality.

I personally choose to stay fluid and open to ALL things within the grasp of my consciousness and imagination and beyond; Never believing anything is static.

-Rainner

I got dragged into the lake by a giant jellyfish and was calling to my brother for help but he didn't hear me until it was too late...hasn't happened yet lol.

Superstition 100%. The claim that there's a connection between having particular dreams in childhood and overall satisfaction (?) later in life is really hard to prove. First you would have to gather a rather large group of children and analyze their dreams for a properly long amount of time. That would be only the first stage. Next you would have to perform something like cyclic examination of them for many years. I'm pretty sure Jung didn't perform such an experiment and this is just a hypothesis nobody has ever proven.

My childhood dreams were weird, from what I remember. In one of them I was hiding in the bathroom and there was a door with a window. I saw someone like an evil witch through that window. She looked like Yubaba from Spirited Away, I knew she was able to harm me, but didn't have such an intention then. I managed to storm out of the bathroom and ran to my friend for protection. I asked him to kill her and he did it. What I didn't expect is that I would feel so guilty after. She was just scary to me, didn't really do much harm to anybody besides being really ugly. It was like killing a spider.

Rainner said:
...Again my personal belief is that we are the creators of our own reality...
I think yes and no. When you say "we" then that is the key. What is "we"? What part of you? Your mental part?
I suppose there is a gap between our mental part, being the stuff we can think, and all the other aspects that make up for you or "we". And I call it not impossible for parts of our being that are in self conflict. There are a lot of naive and iterating thoughts processes, thank god creation is reluctant to give answer to those all 😁

I feel that not only is this true, but that we (I) also to an extent create(d) the (my) bodies we (I) want (within the matrix of our (my) genetic potential-form) and saddle(d) ourselves (myself) with certain challenges to overcome, whether we (I) do (did) it consciously or not. The power of self-suggestion?

PS: I'm reading more into the term "dream" than those weird flying fantasies that occur duringsleep.

null24 said:
I feel that not only is this true, but that we (I) also to an extent create(d) the (my) bodies we (I) want (within the matrix of our (my) genetic potential-form) and saddle(d) ourselves (myself) with certain challenges to overcome, whether we (I) do (did) it consciously or not. The power of self-suggestion?

I also think it's something like self-suggestion. If you believe dreams are important, you tend to analyze them and possibly learn from them (like changing your behavior because of something in your dream), and because of that they have a direct impact on your life.

null24 said:

PS: I'm reading more into the term "dream" than those weird flying fantasies that occur duringsleep.
This somehow seems to be very true to me.

padma said:
null24 said:

I also think it's something like self-suggestion. If you believe dreams are important, you tend to analyze them and possibly learn from them (like changing your behavior because of something in your dream), and because of that they have a direct impact on your life.
I think this is very true as well. I wrote in one of my journals that the melancholy feeling of dreams, is that we cannot change the outside universe when we are inside them. But when we wake up from the dream, we are able to change the world in which the dream itself occurs. This is like our relation in waking life to the dreamworld, is like a god's relation to our own world. That's why it seems like our own world is the dream of some god in a higher (or just different) realm than our own. But our own limitations on earth reflect various issues going on in the life of the higher realm, in the same way our dreams reflect our personal troubles and potentialities. But by changing things in our own lives, we can effect change in the higher realms, at least in a similar way to how our dreams can change what happens in this world. I believe this was known to Jung as well, and is also part of the teachings in Kabbalah.

Back
Top Bottom