• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Jurema article

donfoolio

Established member
.... Deep in the enchanted forest lies a well-guarded secret, with it's branches so thick and it's skin so thorny, that you cannot easily see the truth behind it's blooming appealing: Jurema.

What Jurema really is cannot easily be described in earthly words:

It is merely a principle fluctuating between reality and dreams, material and psychic worlds, microcosm and macrocosm.

Jurema is a spiritual guide, an entity, even a phalanx of entities, it is a city in the realms of the imaginary, a whole agglomeration of visionary estates. It is a cult, a science, but it is also a plant and a beverage.

The first recorded mentions of the cult of the Jurema Sagrada , that has become known as Catimbo, dates back to the 18th century, but little is really understood about its origins, its historical implications and its very secrets.

Even in Brazil, the cult of Catimbo is rather obscure and most often classified in the not completely defined category of Macumba:

folk black magic, sorcery and malveloent practices in the eye of the uninitiated.

Of course, this is a cult of initiation. To become a Jumereiro, a specific set of rituals is necessary among a years long training in medium ship and study of the complex and multifaceted cosmology of this unique syncretic practice.

African diaspora religions mixed with European sorcery, "la brujeria", Amazonian shamanism and the spiritism of Allen Kardec builds the ingredients of the explosive mixture and everybody that comes up just for "a good time in search of his real self" will readily be exploded in a thousand pieces of ego destruction and doubt.

The popularity of Catimbo in rural as well as urban areas are drown from the colourful universe of it's entities directly coming out of the underground:

Gamblers, gangsters, prostitutes, drunkards anr other nightlife figures.

These spirits are mixed in a manner typical for Afro-Brazilian syncretism with the ancestral spirits of the forest, who first have known about the beverage of jurema, the caboclos.
Descendants of mestizio and Indian lines.

Then shakes up well with the old blacks (preto velhos), and mixed toughly together with the legions of Exu and Pomba Gira -; the cult mixing elements of African veneration of the trickster messaneger Exu/elleggua with European demonology and witchcraft, that has been imported to Brazil through grimoires like the Petit Albert or the Book of St. Cyprian.

Beyond all of this obscure syncretism lies the dynamic concept herself:

The mysterious entity, plant and enchantress Jurema.

"And if you gaze long enough in an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you"

- Nietzsche

Jurema is based on the ceremonial ingestion of a beverage made from the roots of Mimosa hostillis. Accompanied by the ritual use of tobacco blown in a reverse sense from a pipe made of the thick wood made from Jurema wood, like it first had been described in the 1940's by Carlos Estevaõ.

In this very decade Dimethyltryptamine was extracted from the core of the inner root bark of this holy tree, threated under the name of "Nigerine".

It was only later that researchers realized that the active principle of this plant is identical to so far synthetical produced DMT.

Anyway, the typical ritual of Catimbo consists of the consumption of Vinho de Jurema in a clearly defined setting to get in a state of ecstasy, accompanied by ecstatic chants and music to invoke the spirits of the estates of Jurema. A typical spirit-possession based cult, but trytaminesque in nature and followed by the rhythm of the maraca and the atabaque.

The ceremonies will most of the time have a character sprung out directly from a cabaret, with lots of travestie and costumes, alcoholic beverages and cigarettes. The spirits are always ready for a good drink and smoke.

"Where the hell I've been landed?" was the first question I asked to myself when I undertook the adventure of partaking in a ceremony the first time.

The Catimbo was without any doubt a Brazilian Bazooka circus. With its mediums dancing in gypsy clothes and drag queen outfits, submerged in the heights of an approximate ingestion of almost 200mg of Dimethyltryptamine and a vaguely dosed extract of betacarbolines, summing up with a pure Dmt joint mixed with some herbs at the peak of a famous song from the Bahia region. "This is the final trip" I said to myself, falling in a deep trance for one hour while continuing to participate in a spectacle of outgrown adults transforming themselves in gypsies sorcerer's, wild going Indians and prostitutes.

"We need to hold the table" said my friend.

One of the famous rituals of Catimbo is the mesa, the table, a kind of psychedelic version of the 19th century spiritist sessions, where every participant is posed around one big table in attempt for the spirits to come.

Within two hours, everybody was in full possession, has 'become a horse' like they say and started dancing and twisting around the table.

"Of course, we need to hold the table" - otherwise these bunch of outlawed gipsies will smash around everything holy to the sacred church and it's allies in a violent tornado of trance, ecstasy and drug abuse.

I lost my mention of time.

"Jurema cienca nobre, manaka nobreza Pura. "

"Of course, this is science. This is the direct experience of the archetypal forces in a setting that allows outstanding people to investigate and analyse what is going on and get in contact with their primary forces " I said to myself. In some sense. Or did jurema speak to me? I can't remember.

But it was also the connection to a year old tradition, geographically unidentified, put together by some centuries of ignorance and inquisition.

"Jurema is the feiticeira" they are repeating endlessly in the chants.

The visions were clear and explicit.

Witchcraft was the original craft in human entrepreneurship. A philosohy dedicated to the forest and its forces.

The manner in which the spirits are called is surreal. "vem,
Vem, vem"

It only needs a little pression in Stakkato and Tremolo and the "tour est joué".

The ghost had come down, ready to ride his horse. If only anyone would be kind enough to lit him a cigarette and serve him a glass of rum. ...

...minutes later the medium will go outside, vomiting the residue of the spirits pleasure, not reallt compatible with a normal mans consumption, especially after the ingestion of hige doses of ayahuasca.

maybe the medium is the message, but the medium is clearly a form of sacrifice.

The cult of Catimbo is based around Jurema preta, Mimosa hostillis or Mimosa tenuiflora, but several other plants are equally sacred and used in the ritual.

To my questioning, the father of the saints replied to me, that a mot of the knowledge about the ancient plants had been lost.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I use this thread to compile some creative writing about an article of the Jurema cult.

This weekend I will make an interview with three juremeiros at a ceremony that will be integrated in the article. Plus some photos and other stuff.

Since I don't have computer access at this moment I use this space like a workspace. So don't worry if it will be modified regularly.

I don't attempt or wait for any background but if you have something to say you are welcome.

For the moment, I use this thread as my personal workspace. Really motivated for the upcoming Nexian 😎

The chorus repeats the chants like a band of satyrs and manaides from a greek tragedy, whirling with their masks of countless deities and spirits from the underworld. The show is as old as humanity. Trance states induced through plant hallucinogens in Eleusis as in recife: ecstasy and sorrow, morning, crying and celebrating.

To the question why the spirits come down to work with the people, the mae de santo replied:

"The spirits want to evolve. It is a synergetic relationship. Most people forget about that. They come to the giras and ask themselves: "what can the spirit bring to me?" They never ask: "what does the spirit want?"

You need respect and exchange. The spirits evolve as do their horses."

The groups of spirits in Catimbo are centered around the seven cities.

First of all, the divine messengers of the path of quimbanda are saluted: Exu and Pomba Gira. They are not evolving but static spirits (egun). Like they are the keepers of the threshold at the crossroads, the first ritual is to their glory in order to let the communication with the spirits come down to the terreiro.
Most of the time, there is a little shrine in their honour at the door of every temple. There food is manioc flour with red palm oil (and honey for Pomba Gira), alcoholic beverages and tobacco, sometimes animals are fed to them.

Then there are the caboclos and caboclas, spirits of the Indian tradition that were the first to use jurema.

The enchanted ones, Malunginho, the mermaids, the preto velhos, descendants of the slave trade, and finally the mestres and mestras of Catimbo. Those are the spirits that are working intimately within the ceremonies.

They are coming directly from the Brazilian underworld, gamblers, prostitutes and other trickster like figures. They died from violent deaths and this makes them likely to dwell still in the earthly realms, looking for salvation through working with the living.
The most famous if these spirits are Ze Malandro, Mestra Luziana and Mestra Ritinha.

It is them that choose a medium, if it is willing to let them in. No one gets possessed by accident, the medium need to invite the spirits through concentration, trance and the welcoming manner of a host.

By the way, 'spirit possession' doesn't fit just right. It is 'incorporation' - to materialise the spirit and become his body for the time th
at it does his work.

Concerning the beverage of jurema, nowadays a differentiation is made between activated and non activated jurema.
There has been a lot of speculating around this and several bioassays claiming for the psychoactivity of cold water extracts of Jurema preta.
For the juremeiros, the water or alcohol based jurema is magically active, not pharmacologically.
Since deeper understanding of the Ayahuasca effect has evolved since the nineties, admixture plants were integrated in the recipe.
Be it Peganum harmala or Banisteriopsis caapi, the inhibition of Monoaminooxydase makes the beverage active.
A simple recipe goes for 3 kg of Jurema and half a kilo of Harmala to produce 5 L of liquid, that works in the 40 mL range.
There is some debat about the use of activated Vs. Non-activated jurema. It suffice to say that both exists.

In comparison, in the cult of Umbanda or Candomblé, no psychoactive drug is taken. The spirit incorporation works well in sobriety just by ritual and music if the medium is well trained.

In any case, activated jurema amplifies the conscious experience of the spirits presence, thus helping newbies to realize what is going on and getting in trance easier. The visionary state it provokes (miraçaõ) aims for a better understanding of the spiritual world.

Photos

Attachments

• cerimonie de mesa-16 (1).jpg
    cerimonie de mesa-16 (1).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • Ritinha e segundo dia-19.jpg
    Ritinha e segundo dia-19.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Francis Azevedo-3.jpg
    Francis Azevedo-3.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
Hey, great stuff! Mind if I go through and proof read these pieces? If so, would you prefer annotated amendments, or just corrections in place without further comment?

I wanted to finish and assemble the text this week. When it is made up I would love if you could proof read it.

Becoming Jurema

The initiatory cult of Catímbo

signal-2024-06-09-00-31-17-016.jpg

A leaf of Jurema fell on the floor
the morning dew came and made it wet
after that, after that
came the sun and dried it of
and Jurema's flowers fully bloomed

... Deep in the enchanted forest lies a well-guarded secret, with its branches so thick and its skin so thorny, that you cannot easily see the truth behind it's blooming appealing: Jurema.

What Jurema really is cannot easily be described in earthly words:

It is merely a principle fluctuating between reality and dreams, material and psychic worlds, microcosm and macrocosm.

Jurema is a spiritual guide, an entity, even a phalanx of entities, it is a bunch of cities in the realms of the imaginary, a whole agglomeration of visionary estates. It is a cult, a science, but it is also a plant and a beverage.

The first recorded mentions of the ritual consumption of the jurema plant, practiced by indigenous tribes, dates back to the 16th and 17th century, but little is really understood about its origins, its historical implications and its very secrets.

For the emerging cult that becomes known as Jurema Sagrada or Catimbo, Mehdi Richard explains:

"The mythical origins of the Jurema cult [...] can be traced to the city of Paraiba at the beginning of the 20th century. [...] Maria do Acais is supposed to have crystallised the many dimensions of the cult into the unique blend of indigenous, Catholic and African influences it is now."

This is the birth of the cult of Catimbo. In its ritual and practice, a beverage made from Mimosa hostillis is ritually ingested and a pipe made from the trunk of the Mimosa tree is used as already observed by Carlos Estevaõ in 1936:

"The preparation of Jurema occurs as follows: the root is scraped to eliminate any soil [...], then it is placed on another stone and macerated.

When maceration is complete, the entire mass is placed in a bowl with water, where you squeeze it with your hands. Little by little, the water turns into a red and frothy infusion, until it is ready to be drunk. [...]

When in this state, the master of the ceremony lights a tubular pipe, made from Juremaroot, and placing it in the opposite direction [...] blows on the liquid in the vessel, making a cross shaped figure with the smoke and a point in each of the angles formed by the figures arms."

cerimonie de mesa-32.jpg

A note on the psychoactivity of Vinho de jurema or Àjuca

(this section should be apart in a little box) [Editors note - known as boxout]

In 1946 the microbiologist Oswaldo Gonçalves de Lima isolated an yet unknown alkaloid from the Mimosa shrub that he named Nigerine.

By the year 1959, when he send a sample to a pharmaceutical company, they found the sample to be 0,57% N,N-DMT, concluding that DMT was the main alkaloid found in Mimosa hostillis (and nigerine probably a mixture with DMT oxide, Yuremamine or NMT).

Since DMT after the Holmsted Lindgren Theory (the Ayahuasca effect) can only be active in combination with MAO-inhibition, a lot of theories would be discussed to explain the potential psychoactivity of the brew. (see Ott, J. - Pharmahuasca, anahuasca and Vinho da Jurema: human pharmacology of oral DMT plus harmine (1998)).

Ott found a high dosed cold water extract to be active whereas the mechanism isn't really clear.

Analysis made in Sweden in 1983 from a beverage of Vinho de Jurema found up to 10mg of DMT per mL.

Nowadays the use of Banisteriopsis caapi or Peganum harmala as admixture plants is among some Catimbo groups made while most groups remain with pure Vinho de Jurema. There is some controversial debate regarding authenticity between these groups. Suffice to say that both exists.

A theory is made in Jonathan Ott about MAO-inhibiting effects of the tobacco smoke used in the rituals at the same time while drinking the wine. The tobacco used is not pure tobacco or Mapacho but a mix of plants from the realm of the Jurema Universe.

Further research will be necessary to understand the phenomena pharmacologically on a deeper level.

Like a wide range of medicinal plants is related to the practice of Catimbo and gave name to the numerous cities in the enchanted hyperspace of Jurema, potential candidates may be found in the future.

There is Catucá, a plant from the Rubiacae family, commonly known as Snowberry (Chiococca alba), Manaca (Brunfelsia spp.), Angico (Anadenthera colubrina, var. cebil), Juca (Libidibia ferrea) and Arueira (Schinus terebinthinifolius).

These are all powerful plants and little to no research has been made in the aim to understand eventual synergistic effects between Mimosa hostillis and the other plants of Catimbo.

The enchanted science

To understand the phenomena of Catimbo on a deeper level, we have to go a bit further.

The rich cultural heritage of Brazil and its colourful syncretic spirituality has its roots in some dark moments of human history.

In the 16th century, the Holy Office used to punish witches with exile to its colonies like Angola and Brazil.

By this means, Iberian and gypsy witchcraft found its way over the ocean and started soon to associate itself with the African magical practices that had been brought by the Slaves as well as the traditions of oppressed indigenous tribes.

This hybridisation has permitted to conserve knowledge of rural folk magic that had in other places been destroyed like within the witch trials in Europe and the Missionary violence in Africa.

In the nowadays typical syncretic mouvements in Brazil, many elements of orisha worship from the Yoruba and Bantu region survived and mixed up with classical European witchcraft, Grimoire magic* and indigenous magic in an absolute synergistic manner as we can see in the birth of cults like Catimbo, Candomblé, Umbanda and Quimbanda.

As in the end of the 19th century the spiritism of the french Allen Kardec gained popularity among the Brazilian middle and upper class, the syncretisms continued to evolve further. Roger Bastide wrote in the Earle 20th century:

"The spiritism is frequently more or less mixed with the occultism and the black men with instruction, with the aim of showing their science , did not stop reading the books of astrology, of alchemy or of the secret sciences to be found in the libraries of Rio de Janeiro. As did the white man, who were the chiefs of the spiritism of Umbanda".

It is in this climate that Maria do Acais of Catimbo began her rituals according to the story, not a long time away from the moment when Raimundo Irineu de Serra started the Santo Daime church and Zelio Fernandino de Moraes the actual form of Umbanda.

The turn to the spirits and plants was a way out of the oppression of colonial and missionary forces as an act of resistance.

"She was condemned by the inquisition
to be burned alive, good Friday.
The priest prayed and the people followed
The more the fire burned, the more she laughed"
- song of Pomba Gira

Francis Azevedo-8.jpg
Macumba

Macumba (and Cabula) is in the public opinion associated with malevolent sorcery, black magic and lower spiritual work.
This lies principally in its African origins that mixed up, little by little with the European witchcraft and demonology how it was represented in classical occult Grimoires from the Renaissance and earlier like the Legemeton, the Portuguese book of St. Cyprian, le dragon rouge and others.

It is in a manner maybe by the catholic church itself, who identified the spirits of African origin with the devil that those ideas came to even more complex levels.

Anyway, the spirits called Exus, for example, are arranged in legions or Phalanges, that everyone who has already put their nose in a book of the "ars goetia" should be familiar with.

Not unlike the witches in Europe that from the 15th century on should be associated with a complex, they couldn't get rid of any more - the devil, the mark and the sabbath - the practitioners of Macumba, accused to partake in devil worship, ironically don't spend a long time to integrate this concept from Catholicism in their rite.

Today the statues and images of Exu and Pomba Gira look like they came directly out of an inquisition manual. Tridents, Skulls, naked women and so on served their imagery burned deep down in the endless fear of the catholic collective unconsciousness.

"he knew that there were parties very frequent in the city of Bahia and its surroundings; at them, the black people jumped a lot, made many grimaces with the body and screamed until falling on the ground as dead. They stayed like that for a time, and when they got up, they said that "the souls of their relatives came to talk" during the time they were unconscious. "

(Laura de Mellon e Souza - O diabo e a Terra de Santa Cruz)

The African trance possession rites were one of the most important spiritual practices and a way to communicate with the ancestors and the spirits of the dead.

However, on the catholic ground of European colonialism, they were seen as the devilish work of liars and demons.

But in these early hours of Macumba, the skeleton of what later build the fundamental work of several syncretic branches like Catimbo had been laid out.

From the 19th century on, we can clearly see a systematic approach in the magnitude and variety of practices that had been described under the name Quimbanda:

-the ritual use of candles
-the use of signs of Salomon, crosses and the pinto Ricardo (a magical circle sigil that can give the identity of a given spirit, his ID in some sense)

-dancing and chanting as practiced by the humans as well as by the invoked spirits

-alcoholic beverages and cigars for the spirits

-offerings and sacrifice

Until today, Macumba is widely seen as a form of black magic working the people from the streets, low level spirits with criminal
and underworld background.

Initiation

Catimbo is an initiatory cult. The adept goes through a long training in both, direct contact by "spirit incorporation" as well as through visionary states induced by the psychedelic wine and in dreams.

Every person has its personal spirits, like some sort of guardian angel, linked to his ancestors. They are dead people, contrary to deities like the Orishas or some sort of Gods.

These spirits usually fell in one or more categories of unnatural death: death before age, violent deaths or other forms of karmic injustice that makes them willingly continue to dwell in the lower astral planes and interact with humans by the means of mediumship and incorporation.

One special category of spirits are the Exus and Pomba Giras - they are gatekeepers at the crossroad, acting as messenger between the Orishas and the living as well as a form of personal counselors. They are egun, they don't evolve anymore. Cults like Quimbanda are entirely centered around them.

In the terreiros of Brazil, there is always a shrine apart for them and often they are saluted and praised first since they help to make the spiritual communication with spirits and Orishas possible.

The other spirits are evolving and for this very reason they are in contact with the living. It is a kind of exchange, of mutual aid, where the adept helps the spirits to evolve as the spirits help the adept to go further.

It is for this reason that offerings and sometimes sacrifice is so important in these cults and often a spirit will give special tasks and rites to do to his adept in order to keep the balance of relationship that is beneficial for both.

It is them that choose a medium, if it is willing to let them in. No one gets possessed by accident, the medium need to invite the spirits through concentration, trance and the welcoming manner of a host.

By the way, 'spirit possession' doesn't fit just right. It is 'incorporation' - to materialise the spirit and become his body for the time that it does his work.

In the initiatory process, the adept has to find his spirits and start to get in contact with them, learning their story and habits and alike since usually these relationships are for a lifetime.

Some of the most important groups of spirits includes (but are absolutely not limited to, the lineages of Jurema represents several dozens)

- the Preto velhos (the old black), spirits of deceased slaves with great wisdom and knowledge of magic.

- the caboclos linked to the tribal lineages of the forests and the earth with their wilderness of warrior ship and plant knowledge. Those are the most ancient and for this reason they take a special role in the life of an initiate.

-the mestras and mestres, spirits that possessed intimate knowledge of the science of Jurema when alive who keep up work in the enchanted cities of Jurema. Every juremeiro has his master or mistress and the aim is to become one themselves after death.
Living masters exist, humans that perfected the science of becoming jurema in their lifetime, but this is as rare as the philosophers' stone these days.

Maria de Acia is now one of them. Other important Masters include Malunginho, a slave involved in a popular revolt against his masters, Maria Luziaria and Ritinha, prostitutes that have been through hard lives while on earth to die violent deaths at the end or Malandro, a funky kind of gangster from the underground, that always have been in trouble with the cops.

Many of them lived in miserable conditions and developed high levels of spiritual attainment which could be one of the reasons while they have become so popular in the urban areas of Brazil, especially among the outlawed and oppressed.

Like the aim of every juremeiro is it to become a Mestre or Mestra in the afterlife, we are talking about an evolving and endless structure, where there is little place for tradition. I mean, a living being of yesterday can easily become an entity in the jurema hyperspace tomorrow.

These things are not static. In a near or already existing future some spirits may prefer DMT vapes and sodas over cigarettes and booze.

"The entities of Catimbo were once people who had a strong link with Jurema while alive. They got so deep into the many mysteries of the plant that they managed to merge with Jurema's space and escaped death. If every spirit has its own personality and individuality, you can sense it in each one of them as they enter into their medium the powerful vibration of the enchantment, the distinct energy that is Jurema. They are themselves and, at the same time, they become the plant in a way that makes it impossible to distinguish one from the other. " (Mehdi Richard)

After initially baptism, the adept go through his training, perfecting himself in the work with the spirits as well as the the duties of the ongoing ceremonies to, after a period of seven years, ends up with a ritual called tomba.

"A key moment of this seven day ritual is called plantar jurema, to plant the Jurema.
Incisions are made on the initiates skin and seven seeds of Mimosa hostillis are inserted beneath it. It is said that a planted juremeiro can feeling the seed running under his skin during his lifetime. [...] Now the Jurema tree is growing inside the juremeiro.
It no longer symbolises the spiritual connection with Jurema entities but the turning of the person into Jurema. [...]

Jurema is the plant of midnight, as a ritual song says. It stand at the crossroads between the two worlds, making the dead come alive and the living die an initiatory death. [...]

Jurema initiation is a ritual death. Dying is the necessary process that unsettled the forces of disenchantment to the extent that Jurema seeds might sprout inside someone."

- Mehdi Richard (The tree and the snake)

IMG_20240615_190334_1.jpg

Conclusion

Needless to say that Catimbo isn't the barbarian monster of black magic that still persist in the minds of many fellows.

Charity and Humbleness are as important in spiritual practices as is Vision and Mediumship.

I would add to finish that there are many forms Catimbo and my descriptions aim for no kind of universal and absolute truth.

They reflect only my conclusions and impressions that I interiorized from working in one terreiro, of whom there are so many different, and from reading and talking with Juremeiros and seeker of other Brazilian traditions. They reflect also my love for this special tree of enchantress.

The cities in the states of Jurema, this mundo imaginalis, are the places where the mestres and mestras live and work and to which this spiky tree is the key. They come down to the terreiros in the sessions of incorporation to do work on earth with the humans as we can travel in their realms of hyperspace through dreams and visions.

Not unlike the DMT - dome of contemporary, westerner Jurema crystal practice with its fractal landscapes and multifaceted entities, the cities are the playground for learning and working the science of Jurema.

These concepts can, at least, be a source of inspiration for the modern DMT - seeker like they evolved in the same manner as every living dynamic culture - with devotion, passion and love for our surrounding planet.

The cartography of the psychic realms is an important tradition to start with as soon as a psychonaut starts to navigate in hyperspace.

As Guittari and Deleuze points it in A thousand Plateaus: "Draw maps, not photos and sketches!"

Since life is movement, since movement is a matter of geography, and geographies are expressed through maps - draw maps!

Zé Malandro, Zé Pilintra-8.jpg

For further reading:

There is unfortunately not much literature in English on this topic besides some ethnographic and anthropological articles but if you want to deepen your understanding of the subject I can recommend the following books:

RICHARD, Mehdi "The tree and the snake", published in "The Poisoners Guild" by Hexen Press, 2023 - excellent article that made my heart beat

PLÖGER, Tilo " Catimbo Jurema Sagrada", 2022 - the only dense book about Catimbo in English in my knowledge

and of course

VODSEL & IRACEMA "Jurema - spreading the Medicine", published in "The Nexian Vol. 1"

Credits:
Thanks to Francis Azevedo for his beautiful photos and thanks to the family of Macumba!

Last edited:
I wanted to finish and assemble the text this week. When it is made up I would love if you could proof read it.
Disclaimer: the text is still not finished and need more accurately corrected and edited. A work in progress. I still don't have computer access and things go forward slowly on my cell phone. So I will continue some editing the next days.
Feel free for any critic or suggestions or things that you would that I come up with.

Love what you've just posted. I could skim through and present a corrected version so it looks really good for publication - mostly just a tiny bit of spelling and punctuation. Easy over here with a keyboard so just get it legible and I'm happy to help spruce it up to save you the trouble on the phone. I know how tedious it is, that alone makes me pleased that my own phone broke :D

Go for it! Thanks a lot!

I would just add some little endnote and bibliography but you can already start this part.

Also if some things or formulations are not clear, let me know.

Whhou, it's done. Took me the whole day to write and tap this with my tiny phone 😅

Of course there are still some adjustments to make but I will let it like this for now.

I know from experience that if you don't let it go at a moment, there will always be things to add, adjust and change ... And in the end it is a book 😇

Becoming Jurema
All I can say is wow!!! I've been keeping tabs as you've developed this article and it really is above and beyond, and a fascinating read. I'm glad you added the further reading at the end because I knew I'd want to look more into this.

I'll be reaching out to consult with you on formatting at some point, I appreciate the formatting notes you included yourself - it gives me a good place to start from.

I assume this reply is your final draft in its entirety?

Whhou, it's done. Took me the whole day to write and tap this with my tiny phone 😅

Of course there are still some adjustments to make but I will let it like this for now.

I know from experience that if you don't let it go at a moment, there will always be things to add, adjust and change ... And in the end it is a book 😇
Missed this due to being both busy and/or ill for a couple of weeks.

Now I'm looking forward to a quiet moment where I can read it through once more.

All I can say is wow!!! I've been keeping tabs as you've developed this article and it really is above and beyond, and a fascinating read. I'm glad you added the further reading at the end because I knew I'd want to look more into this.

I'll be reaching out to consult with you on formatting at some point, I appreciate the formatting notes you included yourself - it gives me a good place to start from.

I assume this reply is your final draft in its entirety?

Thank you. Yes, it is the final draft. If I re-read it, I would like to add stuff and change things, so I avoid to read it again 😅

I have seen that there are quite a few repetitions of words, and little stuff to be adjusted.
I will clear this out and transform was ready to proof read it.

There is so much to say about it, I hope I get an essential point do make this practice a little bit more accessible.

A little video on the procession for Malunginho:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom