• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

MAOI Inhibitors.

Migrated topic.

genghis74

Rising Star
I am just curious if anyone has tried to use any MAOI inhibitors such as Selegeline or Emsam in order to prevent the breakdown of DMT in natural sources. I am aware that these drugs are listed as dangerous when taking things like Ayahuasca or Mimosa, but it would seem that a good MAOI inhibitor would be more effective than having to add other substances. Just curious.

That's an MAO-B inhibitor, you need an MAO-A inhibitor, and so far the only sources i know of are Rue, Caapi, purified Harmalas, or Moclobemide.

ShamensStamen said:
That's an MAO-B inhibitor, you need an MAO-A inhibitor, and so far the only sources i know of are Rue, Caapi, purified Harmalas, or Moclobemide.
And Phenylzine, tranylcypromine and isocarboxazid ... all 3 both A and B irreversible inhibitors but due to that, MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problems with interactions. You'd better have ambulance cover. Ouch.
I've heard good things about passionvine but you need too much of it.
Caapi has a range of alks. but the vine is 'under pressure' from too many people trying it. Syrian rue is always an option.

SnozzleBerry said:
scott_1971_h said:
Caapi has a range of alks. but the vine is 'under pressure' from too many people trying it.
Sorry to derail, but do you have a source for this claim?

I agree that we as a community need to start looking at alternative sources of ayahuasca plant materials. Specifically, things that will grow in more temperate environments. I've read in a couple places that the Caapi vines being harvested for ceremonies in the Amazon are younger and younger. The older thicker vines are prefered, but between the booming ayahuasca tourism industry and all the Caapi being sold online, many of the natives are left harvesting thin and immature vines from the jungle. Syrian Rue is the easiest replacement, but is not ideal since it has large amounts of harmaline and getting THH from it requires some chemistry. For DMT, bundleflower and prairie mimosa seem to be promising sources.

And parallel to all this, I think we need to stop hijacking their cultures. We need to do the difficult work and create our own. We are on the cusp of bringing the knowledge of our ancestors back in to mainstream culture but if people keep trying to merge incompatible pieces together, the merging is going to be a very painful train wreck like experience. You can't just take the culture of the Amazonians, the Incans, the Vikings, the Celts, and Native Americans and try to merge them all together into a modern western context and expect anything other than a failed hippie commune. We need to stop with the chemophobia. We need to stop blindly following mythologies. There is no "magic" to the plants other than that they contain certain chemicals. IF there is any magic, the magic is in the chemicals and the plants are simply carriers that we employ to attain such chemicals.

Mother Ayahuasca is a mythology. MAOI+DMT is the reality.

Let's not throw out the baba with the bathwater here. Humanity's millennia of experience with psychedelics has led to the development of optimising artistic technologies of sound, light and aroma that can be used as a control panel for the spaceship, as it were. This does not mean we have to 'appropriate cultures'. It does mean that we can learn from the accomplished.

Mother Ayahuasca is a mythology. MAOI+DMT is the reality.

Could not disagree more. myrhology in many instances is much more "real" that your reductionist materialism. We truly have no clue what "reality" is, and any profession that one knows reality is based on the most incomplete information possible. Currently we only know what 4% of all the matter in the universe is composed of, and of that 4% we only have the most rudimentary understanding. Maybe "mother Ayahuusa" who is just another manisfestation of spiritual enerfy is the true reality behind MAOI + DMT.

genghis74 said:
Currently we only know what 4% of all the matter in the universe is composed of, and of that 4% we only have the most rudimentary understanding.
Sorry, but I hate these percentages :D Do we know how much is "all"? who calculated percentage from something that is not countable?

Back
Top Bottom