• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Science paper Microdosing psychedelics and the risk of cardiac fibrosis and valvulopathy: Comparison to known cardiotoxins

Pure science papers to share and discuss.
A new paper about the risks that may be associated with the use of psychedelics for micro dosing.

At times this practice has been promoted by members of the nexus. I think it’s important that we consider that the promotion of the practice of micro dosing might not be a good idea. Especially when considering that the proposed benefits seem to be mostly placebo effects.

Abstract
Though microdosing psychedelics has become increasingly popular, its long-term effects on cardiac health remain unknown. Microdosing most commonly involves ingesting sub-threshold doses of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocybin, or other psychedelic drugs 2–4 times a week for at least several weeks, but potentially months or years. Concerningly, both LSD and psilocybin share structural similarities with medications which raise the risk of cardiac fibrosis and valvulopathy when taken regularly, including methysergide, pergolide, and fenfluramine. 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, which is also reportedly used for microdosing, is likewise associated with heart valve damage when taken chronically. In this review, we evaluate the evidence that microdosing LSD, psilocybin, and other psychedelics for several months or more could raise the risk of cardiac fibrosis. We discuss the relationship between drug-induced cardiac fibrosis and the 5-HT2B receptor, and we make recommendations for evaluating the safety of microdosing psychedelics in future studies.

Attachments

• rouaud-et-al-2024-microdosing-psychedelics-and-the-risk-of-cardiac-fibrosis-and-valvulopathy-c...pdf
    442.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Everything comes with some price, right. This is interesting to me seeing as I low dose DMT often and I microdose.

Your analogy to cigarettes is fitting considering we used to think those were benign as well.

It would be interesting to study cardiac systems and processes of people in some cultures that "trip" often, such as ayahuasceros and curanderos.

One love

As far as Tobacco and it's harms go though, i've learned lately that apparently Tobacco smoking can reduce Folate levels in the body, and lack of Folate can cause a lot of the issues we see from Tobacco, so it makes me wonder are the two connected? probably, and so what if a lack of Folate is actually the main culprit and not the Tobacco smoking? but then they'd have to study that and may have to conclude that Tobacco may not be as "harmful" as the anti-smoking propagandists made it out to be. Just a thought, especially considering our only source of Folate really has been Folic Acid which has issues of it's own and doesn't seem to work as well as natural Folates (like Methylfolate for example) in replenishing Folate levels in the body, so we could be having a low-level Folate deficiency, and that combined with the Tobacco smoking can deplete people's Folate and lack of Folate can cause heart issues, strokes, cancers, breathing issues, etc, especially considering the lack of oxygenated cells.

Smoking reduces and increases many things in the body, but as with most correlations in smoking it’s not as easy to say that by solving the deficiency the health risks can be mitigated. The only way to make a difference is to cut out the confounding factor which is the smoking of tobacco itself.

Everything comes with some price, right. This is interesting to me seeing as I low dose DMT often and I microdose.

Your analogy to cigarettes is fitting considering we used to think those were benign as well.

It would be interesting to study cardiac systems and processes of people in some cultures that "trip" often, such as ayahuasceros and curanderos.

One love
For a long time i have thought that my use of dmt was of no harm and I do stil feel that way, but as years have passed I do try to limit my use. I’m not much a micro doser myself as i feel it has no benefits for me, and then when I move up dose to the point where I feel the effects it’s counterproductive in my life.

For more then 2 decades I have used more or less every two/tree weeks a psycadelic usually a mix of pharma or aya with vaped dmt on top. And then usually for three or four days building up to a higher dose, looking back I never thought it’d be at this long, usually my hobbies don’t grab me for more then a couple years. But this has turned into something like a religious ritual for me, next to this I don’t drink or smoke and really like to be sober.

On the research, I’ve have been reading in to the adverse health effects of my hobby and plan on compiling all the articles into a new topic in some time. Hopefully I can find the time to do this after the summer, so far I have not found to much worrying stuf.

Take care

I feel you. I think that I've always thought of the negatives of my DMT use to be mild and worth it in the end, but there's always some downside: nothing is all good and nothing is all bad. I consider DMT and harmalas my sacraments so comes with the territory.

Thank you for being willing to share your research with us.

One love

Back
Top Bottom