• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Minimalist, Drone, & Avant Garde

Migrated topic.

Beelzebozo

Rising Star
I propose we share good minimalist and drone (or drone related) music in this thread. It seems fair to suggest that good headphones or speakers are recommended! Any weird, long-form music that revolves around repetition or slow evolution of a theme is also welcome.

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

And one from the old master:
[YOUTUBE]

btw...

fwiw, the best (by far) source for my "minimalist, drone & avant garde" needs in the last year has been vk.

btw btw...
since op posted a coil track... a vk community called katabasia, that deals with lots of topics of interest here, including certain aspects of organic chemistry :) several days ago reminded me to re-listen to psychic tv's '93 kondole... you'll be very hard pressed to get any more "minimalist, drone & avant garde" than that :)

I know Coil well and Terry Riley but the other tracks posted are new to me and i like them. When i told a friend that i was getting more into the avant garde stuff she recomended Zoviet France and i also like Nurse With Wound....

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

Benzyme is modulating and bending the hell out me, while I am melting down an infinite river.

This is just great, thanks!

tseuq

Thank you all for contributing! I've been listening but slow to reply (final semester grad student. . . need I say more?).

Mister_Niles said:
Not a classic, but I like this drone piece. Great for tripping (esp. Ketamine & dmt) and sleeping. I love minimalism. Terry Riley is a big one. Lamonte Young too. I like the stuff you are talking about too, but bands like Coil and Psychic TV are so much more.

Good stuff, Mister Niles, thanks! And I love Lamonte Young too. In fact, all the folks from that scene are awesome.

If you don't know him, I should plug Pandit Pran Nath, who taught Lamonte, Terry, and all the rest of that group! I find his voice to be deeply entrancing and profound.

[YOUTUBE]

hug46 said:
I know Coil well and Terry Riley but the other tracks posted are new to me and i like them. When i told a friend that i was getting more into the avant garde stuff she recomended Zoviet France and i also like Nurse With Wound....

Ah, Zoviet France is great stuff! Thank you for reminding me about them.

benzyme said:

100% eurorack modular synthesizer

recently, I've been doing experiments using an HPLC absorbance detector to modulate the synth. analytical chemistry ambient music.

Benzyme, this is spectacular. I thoroughly enjoy what you've got going on in these two tracks.

Ah, eurorack! That's a hobby that, at least for now, is best for me not to begin. I am bad enough buying stand-alone analogue synth gear.

As to the, HPLC absordance detector as a source of modulation. . . I love it. :lol:

If you all are not familiar with the work of Eyvind Kang, I highly recommend him. Especially his album Virginal Co Ordinates, of which the following track is one of the highlights.

[YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom