• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Need help First Aya brew - MHRB / Peganum Harmala

Migrated topic.

mexico-magico

Rising Star
Hello Amigos

I´m gonna try to brew my first anahuasca using:

36gr Syrian rue seeds
60gr MHRB
Acetic acid (vinegar)
Bottled Water (no salt or minerals)

Aiming to obtain 12 doses out of it.

I have a few questions for you kind nexians
Should I perform the 3x3 tek?
Or since the mhrb is already powdered would it be better if I just do 3 boils of 40 minutes each?
Why is it wrong to use aluminium pots?
And what do you think about a final boil with the two brews together?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_122043.jpg
    IMG_20160302_122043.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160302_121855.jpg
    IMG_20160302_121855.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0
Hola Nexians
So my cat mixed the 60gr mhrb with 1.1 lt of water and a tablespoon of white vinegar (clemente jaques) and took it to a very gentle boiling.
In a separated pot he mixed the 36gr of rue with 760ml of water and a tablespoon of the same white vinegar.
Right now both pots had been in a gentle boiling for 80+ minutes.
Any advice on the subject?

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_194655.jpg
    IMG_20160302_194655.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160302_194714.jpg
    IMG_20160302_194714.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
Much of the brewing process is personal preference IME. There is a general template to follow, but each individual seems to develops their own style & tweaks based on what works well for them & what produces different results.

With mhrb 3x 30 minute boils with a little lime juice does seem to work well enough to make an active brew if bark is of decent quality.

Aluminum pots are bad because aluminum is a reactive metal & acids from the plant material or added vinegar may react with the pot and/or leach metals into your brew. I have been fine using stainless steel pots with an aluminum or copper core (not the same as a pot made entirely from aluminum), but I do not like metals involved in the process at all & have switched to either a hotbplate & erlenmeyer or pyrex saucepans for brews.

Final boil with mixed rue & MHRB is a personal preference thing. You will have to do some experimenting to decide for yourself whether it suits you best to keep them separate or Mix. Some seem to get better results from waiting 30 minutes between dosing harmalas & mhrb, others get better results taking them together. It is just a matter of personal biochemistry.

Thanks concombres
So my cat could just do 3 boils x80 minutes?
Or could he do the first boil x80 mins and the other two x40?
He doesn´t want to waste any alks for over cooking.
greetings and thanks again

mexico-magico said:
Thanks concombres
So my cat could just do 3 boils x80 minutes?
Or could he do the first boil x80 mins and the other two x40?
He doesn´t want to waste any alks for over cooking.
greetings and thanks again

Either way should be perfectly fine as long as you keep it at a simmer & do not walk away & accidentally boil off all the water.

What you can do is start with longer and/or more boils & every time you brew try a little less time or washes & see how you feel it effects potency.

3x 30minutes has served me well with quality bark but I always save the used bark & throw it in with the next brew incase any actives stay behind.

Great!
Right now my cat is doing the last reduction boiling after 3x80 minutes boils he`s very tempted to rise the heat:wink:
But that will be silly even for a cat rigth?:p
He´s gonna wait ´till the remaining liquid is close the 700ml for the mimosa brew and something close the 250ml for the rue brew.
So both pots are still in a gentle boiling. Any advice here?
What would be the best after treatment for all of the discarted solids?

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_231108.jpg
    IMG_20160302_231108.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160303_003203.jpg
    IMG_20160303_003203.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160302_231121.jpg
    IMG_20160302_231121.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 0
Hi, powdered mimo needs only little boiling to make a strong tea. Even a 1 x 1 hour boil takes a ton of actives out of the powder. Even a once 15 minute boil works on powdered mimo if you want it faster.

Rue seeds, if not powdered, this whole, need more.
3 x 80 min is good enough, but what works better than time is to put the seeds in a cheese cloth or old T-shirt and squeeze then empty after a boil. Then to the next boil. You can do multitude of shorter boils so you can squeeze them semi-dry more times. Like squeezing after 30 minutes. Drawback is that its tea filters really hard.

I would not mix the rue tea and mimo tea.
Having them separate you can later decide to change the mix-ratio of the end drink. Once you have mixed all your tea, you're stuck with it.

To start I'd say 3 to 4 gr rue and 3 gr mimo, to test the waters for your first drink.
You can start from there and up later any component to your wishes.

2 cents...

Happy trials.
Happy cats :thumb_up:

Greetings
After 3x80 minutes boils and a one hour or so reduction the results are as follow:
The MHRB brew is now 820 ml
The rue is been reduced to 310 ml
Now after 6 hours in the fridge both bottles have form a sediment in the bottom.
Is that sediment to be decanted? Or will it affect the alkaloid content? What would be the best treatment for the filtered solids?
Thanks Jees my cat is going to keep the teas separated. Thanks concombres for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20160303_164042.jpg
    IMG_20160303_164042.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160303_164057.jpg
    IMG_20160303_164057.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 0
ime adding vinegar or lime/lemon juice seems to just make it taste worse, doesnt seem to make a huge impact on potency depending what your water is like. mine is pretty neutral around ph of 7.0.

as for dose id say for sure go with 3-4g mhrb then 3-4g rue(depends how much rue you need) especially if its your first time. usually between 50-90mg dmt is a mild to strong dose and with good mhrb you should have around 2% alks. so 3g=about 60mg dmt and 4g=about 80mg dmt. if your 60g brew was split 6 ways that would be 10g=about 200mg dmt(a ton). the doses change dramatically with slight increases, 40mg could be your threshold amount so 70-80mg could be a pretty strong dose, where as 60mg would be a happy medium.

For the brew, i usually do a single boil for 30-60min saves tons of time and doesn't make a huge difference. it is quite active after about 30min, everything after that you'd be putting more effort than what its worth imo... but i also feel bad tossing out the bark knowing something is left in there so that's personal preference.

filter out the solids that settled to the bottom, that can be quite awful trying to drink/eat, if you dont mind leave it in there and stir well before drinking. sometimes i get lazy and drink the mud but is much easier without it in there.

ENJOY! :)

Many people follow the wide accepted rule to not filter volume reduced brews, so to only filter the unreduced volumes (and usually when they are still warm).

But when I see those bottles the reducing of volume is not that huge like with a typical aya brew, so I think all actives are still in the liquid. Meaning I would opt for decant & filtering those bottles without worrying.

Letting settle out and slowly poring of the liquid (decanting) first.

Then coffee filters clog very fast, better is to lay a kitchen paper towel in a kitchen sieve (boulter) to poor first the liquid trough, later the sediment.
41OTEaa983L._SY300_.jpg

A good kitchen paper towel allows you to squeeze it without ripping.
After that you can try a coffee filter as being a finer paper.

I agree completely with blackpanda to not go above 60 mg for first time, I always advise 3 gr powdered wood max for first timers, they can do later what they want.

Thanks people for sharing your knowledge and experience
Last night I took 25 ml of the rue brew and half an hour later 25 ml of the MHRb brew.
I´ve took traditional ayahuasca and Yage brews from peru and colombia before.
But this was my first time with MHRB / Syrian rue.
WOW!!!
It was a light, mellow dmt experience, but I felt it was a little too much on the rue side.
Not unpleasant at all but the next time I´ll take 20ml of rue and 30ml of the MHRB.
BlackPanDA thanks for your advise about dosage.
Thank you very much Jees I`m gonna decant and filter my cat`s brew later today.
Thanks concombres next time the brew is gonna be boiled less time.
You all are very kind.

no problem, glad you had a good mellow experience :) its always good to get the feel for it first to know how to progress the dosage.
you can drink both at the same time too, i always do. if i take the dmt brew more than 15-20min later after the maoi, i feel like it cuts the experience duration a bit short. also i enjoy both kicking in right around the same time to get things going strong sooner.

mexico-magico said:
...Last night I took 25 ml of the rue brew and half an hour later 25 ml of the MHRb brew...
Mimo:
So 25 ml of 820 ml is 3%
You had 3% of 60 gr wood = 2 gr mimo.

Rue
And 25 ml of 310 ml is 8%
You had 8% of 36 gr rue = say 3 gr rue

I applaud your very cautious approach and this is exactly where I also started my practice.
Splendid, now you can rise from there.
:thumb_up:
:love:

I would say keep the rue at that level.
Once you up the mimo you'll see that rue will not upper hand that much anymore as it did now.
Just a thought.

Glad it worked out well magico :)

I noticed the same thing about rue + mhrb brew. At lower dosages it can be gentle & yet still ridiculously powerful in content. Lots of energetic cleansing & even mild closed eye visuals seem to hold an immense amount of meaning & effect on perception.

With increased dosage things can get deep fast. Almost seems as if the actual dose increases linearly, but the intensity & effects increase exponentially with each gram or two up.

greetings amigos
Last night my friend took 10ml MHRB and another 15ml of the rue tea. Rue first and some 20 minutes later the MHRB brew.

I tought it was probably not enought to be an avtive dose acording to my previous experience but I realize it was indeed active whwn I watch him purge only 15 minutes after drinking the Mhrb.
His experience lasted 3- 4 hrs and it was in no way a soft one.
He spent most of the 3-4 hours purging and feeling stomach ache. Could it be related with his historial of alcohol abuse? He´s not under any medications right now but the last time he went to rehab (4 months or so ago) they gave him prozac and rivotril for anxiety and depression.

mexico-magico said:
greetings amigos
Last night my friend took 10ml MHRB and another 15ml of the rue tea. Rue first and some 20 minutes later the MHRB brew.

I tought it was probably not enought to be an avtive dose acording to my previous experience but I realize it was indeed active whwn I watch him purge only 15 minutes after drinking the Mhrb.
His experience lasted 3- 4 hrs and it was in no way a soft one.
He spent most of the 3-4 hours purging and feeling stomach ache. Could it be related with his historial of alcohol abuse? He´s not under any medications right now but the last time he went to rehab (4 months or so ago) they gave him prozac and rivotril for anxiety and depression.

Individual sensitivity to medicine varies largely. Last time i shared a dose with a brother, the same dose that was powerful & lasted me 5-6hrs was mild for him & only seemed to produce effects beyond harmala intoxication for 25-30minutes.

One thing to keep in mind when sharing is to ensure your friend had adequate time for any contraindicated medications to leave his system.
If he was off the Prozac & rivitrol for 4months that seems adequate, but I did not see a real time frame mentioned as to how long he was off the meds.
Medication like that takes time to taper off of & leave the body, as i am sure your friend is aware of, but you should deffinately make sure both he & you understands how long these medications & their active metabolites stick around in the body & how long after getting off them it takes for brain chemistry to return to normal for safetys sake.

Greetings
concombres thanks again. Case solved. My friend is been off meds for the last 4 months. Yesterday he told me he was drinking vodka every day for the last week he even took a "couple" beers the very morning before the night ceremony. :thumb_dow
No wonder he almost turned inside out.
Very humbling experience as he can tell now. He lied when I asked him about drinking the last days, and then got ass kicked by spice. Purging can be very healing indeed.

Back
Top Bottom