• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Newbie question on sep funnel & Nomans tek

Migrated topic.
This question is pretty much a follow on from a question I asked in New Extraction. I figured I'd have more chance of an answer on a seperate thread.

How do you get Noman's extraction to work using a sep funnel? as when SWIM tried this the sep funnel hole got clogged up quite quickly with MHRB dust/sludge, making it impossible to get down to the naphta layer without disturbing the layers. SWIM had to resort to using a turkey baster, which kind of defeats the purpose & is a lot more hassle.

Thanks

that takes hours to run through a filter as the bark cloggs any filter SWIM uses, & he thinks absorbs some naphta, so at some point the bottom of the filter/funnel is filled with MHRB dust & the MHRB juice & naphta can't go through without re-doing with a new filter. It is a lot of hassle and doesn't work very well, SWIM was just looking for an easier way as it doesn't seem everyone else has had these problems.

Why not make the lye-and-MHRB-stew in an inexpensive, glass, gallon wine jug..? Turkey basters are cheap too!

I can't believe you are actually using a precious sep' funnel to do the stb-lye-stew in..!? I think you should go back and ask your chemistry professor how to use a sep' funnel ..!

If you can afford sep' funnels, go back to your lab-supply shop and buy a big beaker, maybe ?! Save your precious lab-glassware for when it's needed - ie doing some proper chemistry ...!

And I chuckle at this attitude, amongst all those who think STB extraction is some kind of easy 'cheat':

"... It is a lot of hassle and doesn't work very well, SWIM was just looking for an easier way .. "

afterall ... filtration is so hard, and who wants to wait for clean results anyways, doing a safe and sound tek for which you don't need to wash, recrystalize and lose yeild..?!

I can't wait to get a sep funnel big enough for a kilo of root bark...

Would a basified solution with all that lye eat through/still burn you if you had rubber gloves on?

If not you could strain it all through a pillow case or cheesecloth.

Why not make the lye-and-MHRB-stew in an inexpensive, glass, gallon wine jug..?
SWIM does, well a litre+ jar anyway. It's just getting the stew & naphta separated out in the funnel that's the problem. SWIM will try filtering it through a sieve though before putting into funnel.
Turkey basters are cheap too!
yes for plastic ones, but finding a glass/metal one is a nightmare round here - he did eventually get a metal one though, think it was about £20. Problem with it is SWIM either looses naphta or picks up lye. The intetion of the sep funnel is to get a better seperation so SWIM gets all the naphta out.

I can't believe you are actually using a precious sep' funnel to do the stb-lye-stew in..!?
I'm not, and never said I was.

I think you should go back and ask your chemistry professor how to use a sep' funnel ..!
I would but I never did chemistry beyond GCSE 20 years ago so I thought asking here would be easier.

And I chuckle at this attitude, amongst all those who think STB extraction is some kind of easy 'cheat':

"... It is a lot of hassle and doesn't work very well, SWIM was just looking for an easier way .. "

afterall ... filtration is so hard, and who wants to wait for clean results anyways, doing a safe and sound tek for which you don't need to wash, recrystalize and lose yeild..?!

I don't think STB is a 'cheat', its a process which seems to work, though I've had my problems with it.
What I meant was that SWIM had had to use several filters, swap them over, fill & empty sep funnel several times, suffer spills, blockages, and loss of naphta, the whole thing taking over 2 days & was looking for an easier way than doing this every time. It was a comment in relation to filtering MHRB sludge rather than the tek itself.

SWIM reckons he'll try running it through a sieve as Noman suggests, this sounds easier than the above.

Thanks

... what's clogging the sep'funnel then.!? sorry I don't get the STB tek. In an STB 'extraction' dmt is blended, all clumped up into tall the insoluble gunk and MHRB crud, how are you getting at that yeild if it's not in with the naphtha..? Swim filters all MHRB extracts once, let's chill, decants and filters again. ... she's obsessed with filtering !

I never understand the STB tek - how, why, wherefore, do people do it !? .. it seems so abusive of a way at getting the dmt out, totally overlooking the ease of getting all the dmt safe and dissolved in water.

... musing aloud - does the solvent dichloromethane (DCM)which is heavier than water, work in an STB..? That could be done all in-one-sep-funnel stage if the DCM sunk to the bottom... but would all the MHRB crud float too ?

AVOID metal containers or turkey basters ! Use glass ! The metal (Aluminum, steel..?) will get etched by the caustic lye or acids (HCL ceratinly does !) .. plastic will likely be ok, too, assuming you can see through it.

El Ka Bong said:
... what's clogging the sep'funnel then.!? sorry I don't get the STB tek. In an STB 'extraction' dmt is blended, all clumped up into tall the insoluble gunk and MHRB crud, how are you getting at that yeild if it's not in with the naphtha..? Swim filters all MHRB extracts once, let's chill, decants and filters again. ... she's obsessed with filtering !
The problem is SWIM isn't getting at the yield as the sep funnel clogs. But SWIM is going to try filtering/sieving MHRB sludge with naphta before it goes in the funnel. What was clogging the sep funnel was MHRB dust/powder but SWIM wasn't mixing/sloshing it in the sep funnel, he'd just poured it in directly from the jar it'd been mixed in.

SWIM is using STB as it seems the easiest, with the least number of steps &, relatively, easily obtainable 'ingredients' (no need to find HCL acid). May well be it isn't but for newbies it seems the simplest way to go.
I'm not sure what you mean by "so abusive of a way at getting the dmt out", what is abused, the MHRB? It doesn't seem to me to be any worse than Acid/base.

SWIM isn't too bothered about his turkey baster getting etched by lye, he can't find glass over here (I don't think we really baste turkeys as much as in USA, just pour juices over them). He tried a plastic one but the inside was eaten up by the naphta - evidently not HDPE.

I'm just going to throw this out there...

if you don't have a separation funnel...

when using a turkey baster, even if you make sure to get no lye in the actual solution it IS possible to get small droplets of H20/Lye on the outside of the baster (if using the mason jar/turkey baster method). These will quickly sink to the bottom of your final naphtha mixture and can easily be removed by switching containers the naptha is in carefully. You all seem to know what you are doing, but after reading another thread today I figured I might as well put it out there again :)

rainbowserpent said:
when using a turkey baster, even if you make sure to get no lye in the actual solution it IS possible to get small droplets of H20/Lye on the outside of the baster (if using the mason jar/turkey baster method).

I've gotten plenty of these droplets on the outside of my baster, but it's nothing a paper towel doesn't dispatch with ease, just be on the lookout for them dripping off the baster into the naptha's final destination...

Back
Top Bottom