• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

[News]Psilocybin: Magic mushroom compound 'promising' for depression

Migrated topic.

downwardsfromzero

Boundary condition
Heard the end of a snippet on the radio news so I looked on the website. Perhaps it was this:

Psilocybin is equal to or better than escitalopram:
The scientists from Imperial College London's Centre for Psychedelic Research measured participants' mood and functioning using a number of different measures.

Their primary measure scores people's symptoms of depression based on their answers to questions about sleep, energy, appetite, mood and suicidal thoughts.

These questions are largely negatively focused: they ask whether someone is feeling sad, but not whether they are feeling happy.

By this measure, psilocybin performed as well as a conventional antidepressant - an SSRI called escitalopram.

All 59 participants saw comparable reductions in their depressive symptoms.

But on several other measures - though they weren't the scientists' primary focus - the psychedelic drug performed considerably better.

That includes measures of work and social functioning, mental well-being and the ability to feel happy.

The study is among the first to pit the psychedelic head-to-head with a traditional depression treatment - and to open the trial to anyone with moderate-to-severe depression, not just those for whom all other treatments had failed.

Important to note:
Both groups were given therapy.

Prof Nutt said the therapy was "as important as the drug action" - the scientists are anxious to warn against people trying to self-medicate.

"It's not the drug alone. We're not sure the drug alone would have an intrinsic antidepressant effect," he said.

Just from personal experience from people close to me, I can attest to this. My mom said the 2 month regimen Of microdosing did more for her than any antidepressant she’s ever been on. And my wife noticed a big improvement in her depression while microdosing. And this is without therapy. I can only imagine the increased benefit of doing it in tandem with therapy.

Back
Top Bottom