• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

People wanting to try DMT, but to scared to try

Migrated topic.

Schafschaf

Rising Star
In the two years, since my initiation to the spice, i tried to share this incredible experience, with as many of my friends, as i thought could handle it.
And while some seeing me do it and hearing my stories, jumped right in, some shyed away, scared by the mere thought of smoking it...
Even with changes in set and setting and me shutting up...
Has this happend to any of you, or is me, scaring them of?

schaaf

It would seem wise to let them find out themselves and to see if this is truly something for them. Anything to further inform your friends from books to authentic websites(like the DMT Nexus) are good starting points. Or perhaps dose threshold-low amounts and work up from there instead of dropping anyone into a full-blown tryptamine experience. That doesn't seem responsible unless the 'initiator' wanted that, intently. No force is needed, agreed.

I don't think that I'm forcing them to do it and i'm certanly not going to give them a full on breakthrough dose at their first attempt...
But maybe i am to pushy about it and should overthink my ways...

Browsing the nexus and some of the better dmt docus on youtube, helped to fuel their curiosity but sometimes, made them even more afraid...
"Strongest" drug in the world and such notions, semm to intimidate quiet a lot of my friends...
There seems to be an inbuild threshold of fear of the unknown, that gets people to say: "no i'll leave that out" Even people who took 600mics of acid with me, just for fun.

Maybe it's just not for everyone...

schaaf

Schafschaf said:
I don't think that I'm forcing them to do it and i'm certanly not going to give them a full on breakthrough dose at their first attempt...
But maybe i am to pushy about it and should overthink my ways...

Browsing the nexus and some of the better dmt docus on youtube, helped to fuel their curiosity but sometimes, made them even more afraid...
"Strongest" drug in the world and such notions, semm to intimidate quiet a lot of my friends...
There seems to be an inbuild threshold of fear of the unknown, that gets people to say: "no i'll leave that out" Even people who took 600mics of acid with me, just for fun.

Maybe it's just not for everyone...

schaaf

I think it can be for everybody, but it's not something you can push.

With psychedelics, where some find enlightenment, transformation, gnosis or adventure, others are horrified*... however That's still not to say that at particular junctures in a persons life such a venture would be welcomed, and would even be beneficial.

Timing is crucial, if you catch people at the proper times in their life they may be very open to the psychedelic experience, where at most times it would be out of the question.

You need to make it known that you are knowledgeable in psychedelics, and make it known that when the time is right you can provide the means for the experiance, and then leave it alone, only bring it up if they ask you.

I'm not a very social person, I have my close circle of friends and family, and honestly just want to be left alone by everybody else. I never talk to anybody unless they talk to me first. I'm constantly in study of organic chemistry, with particular focus on tryptamine, phenethylamine, and lysergamide compounds, so I always have my face burried in a book, with a pen in hand, writing in my notebook with ear-phones playing loud music...people will come to me and ask "what are you doing?" Which always leads to a discussion regarding psychedelics.

After that initial encounter These people know that if they talk to me, simply because of my daily research, that they are either going to be discussing chemistry, neurotransmitters, or psychedelic compounds...but since I never talk to anybody unless they talk to me first it's their choice, if they don't want to hear about psychedelics, all they need to do is not talk to me, however they also know that if they ever wanted to explore psychedelics that I would probably help them...

Let them come to you.

-eg

--------

* Terence mckenna give some insights on why this might be:

MT: Terence, you were talking about extra-ordinary realities and it occurs to me that there's an enormous amount of prejudice against the... psychedelics and the use of hallucinogenic substances and it's almost as if there's an inordinate fear to open up the door to the closet that these substances reveal.

what about that prejudice? What do you think is- how's that gonna be resolved? What is the resolution of that?

TM: Well, I think it's it's more complicated than a prejudice. It's a prejudice born of respect, because most people sense that these compounds probably actually do what their adherents claim they do. It's possible to see the whole human growth movement of the 1970s as a wish to continue the inward quest without having to put yourself on the line the way you had to when you took 250 gamma of LSD. And, I think all these other methods are efficacious, but I think it's the sheer power of the hallucinogens that puts people off.

you either love them or you hate them, and that's because they dissolve worldviews, and if you like the experience of having your entire ontological structure disappear out from under you, if you think that's a thrill you'll probably love psychedelics.

On the other hand, for some people, that's the most horrible thing they can possibly imagine. They navigate reality through various form of faith, and I think that the psychedelics..
the doors of perception are cleansed and you see very, very deeply.

I spent time in India, and I would always go to the local Sadhus of great reputation, and I met many people who possessed what I call wise-old-man wisdom but wise-old-man wisdom is a kind of Tao of how to live. It has nothing to say about these dimensions that the psychedelics reveal and for that you have to go to places where hallucinogenic shamanism is practiced, specifically, the Amazon Basin. And, there you discover that beyond simply the wisdom of how to live in ordinary reality, there is a gnosis of how to navigate in extraordinary reality. And, this reality is so extraordinary that we cannot approach what these people are doing with any degree of smugness, because the frank fact of the matter is we have no viable theory of what mind is either. The beliefs of the Witoto shaman and the beliefs of a Princeton phenomenologist have an equal change of being correct, and there are no arbiters of who is right.

So, it's the power of these things, the fact that here is something we have not assimilated. We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the oceans, the heart of the atom, but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that here's where all the contradictions flow together and the same prejudice against psychoanalysis that characterized the 20s and 30s, when it was thought to be superfluous or some kind of fad attends the psychedelics now. It's because it touches a very sensitive nerve; it touches, uh, the issue of the nature of man, and people are uncomfortable with this or some people are uncomfortable with this.

-eg

Some people like it and some people don't touch it. Whenever someone I know dislikes it I understand and stop asking them if they want to try it. Some people just aren't ready.

I see no one has linked this little number yet:

Why You Should NOT Take DMT

This thread is a great place to point someone new to DMT, or someone having second thoughts, or both.

Edit: Fixed link, lol

Never push anybody on this. The only people know i take this are my friends and famaly. I dont have much friends but my friends are friends. They accept me for who i am. If i need to hide something from a friend the perosn is not my friend. I talked with them about soem of my experiences, but i see that it isnt something they're interested in cause they're afraid of it. However i could educate them a little bit of what this stuff really is and maybe raised some interest.

They know if they want to try psychedelics they just need to ask me, i also told them its a thing you should do at least once in your life. But they need to come to me. Like morpheus in matrix "I can only show you the door, you need to go trough by yourself." :lol:

However my mom is my tripsitter most of the time and i also talk with her about my expiriences and maybe got her to take shrooms some day. She's extremly afraid of it however as she is a pretty big control freak and maybe forsees that this stuff will show her how she is totally not in control. But if the day comes and she takes it i will ask her beforehand if SHE really wants t do it because of her own will and not because of what i told her. SHE needs to want it not me. I also always tell everyone the negative aspects of psychedelics, i never talk about a super wonder drug. I always tell them there are dangers and what dangers there are. And if i was to give a friend something like this i would ask him questions first if he know what hes really going into. I want to see if they did their research, becaue i think thats a really important thing to do when doing psychedelics.

I only give the spice to people who are interested in it already by themselves, I would never ask someone to take some of my Changa who is not genuinely interested in psychedelics and investigation of consciousness. And i always send them some nexus links in advance so they can prepare themselves.

entheogenic-gnosis said:
I'm not a very social person, I have my close circle of friends and family, and honestly just want to be left alone by everybody else. I never talk to anybody unless they talk to me first. I'm constantly in study of organic chemistry, with particular focus on tryptamine, phenethylamine, and lysergamide compounds, so I always have my face burried in a book, with a pen in hand, writing in my notebook with ear-phones playing loud music...people will come to me and ask "what are you doing?" Which always leads to a discussion regarding psychedelics.

After that initial encounter These people know that if they talk to me, simply because of my daily research, that they are either going to be discussing chemistry, neurotransmitters, or psychedelic compounds...but since I never talk to anybody unless they talk to me first it's their choice, if they don't want to hear about psychedelics, all they need to do is not talk to me, however they also know that if they ever wanted to explore psychedelics that I would probably help them...

It is easy to convince yourself that this is the best method, mainly because it skips any effort that needs to be given in order to establish new connections with people. I just hope that you NEVER ever feel lonely... caus if you do, then your doing it wrong.

I might also add that it is sort to unhealthy to not feel not lonely, isn't it? I thought it had something to do with our fundamental emotional hardware.

I only say this because loneliness has made me make an effort to establish a rapport in a conversation and even at some times to just blatantly walk up to strangers and tell them I like them. Unfortunately, non of it has worked because the people I meet are just absolute DUPES! :thumb_dow I mean, I couldn't be their friend because it would all just end up in us both sitting in silence, lol. I guess now that I failed so many times with the wrong sort of people, your 'method of passivity' seams reasonable. As jack johnson says 'everytime hes rejected man he loses affection', but, then again this is a catch-22 because if you don't try you will never meet like-minded individuals but if you DO try you are doomed for failure (with no hope of success) and, in deed, I have not had success ever.

:shock: :cry:

My friends that are keen on travels with plants on a mere conservative shamanistic style of works, seem to turn easily away from the extracted. So it's not scare for them but not their tune of song. I understand this very well and never will try to defend extracted or "versus" kind of arguments. I leave it, simply as it is. It happens one of them come ask questions and you notice a more open mentality then.

Recruitment for DMT is unnecessary. Those interested in that area of playing with reality will find it and make decisions for themselves. Many aspects of the psychedelic experience are unappealing to many. Conversation with those who may or may not wish to do that kind of work can be interesting, but at the end of the day it is all about personal lines in the sand.

d*l*b said:
Recruitment for DMT is unnecessary. Those interested in that area of playing with reality will find it and make decisions for themselves. Many aspects of the psychedelic experience are unappealing to many. Conversation with those who may or may not wish to do that kind of work can be interesting, but at the end of the day it is all about personal lines in the sand.

Maybe... There are also a lot of people that it is high-time they had a groundbreaking experience like DMT to wake them up and change their ways yet don't have access to it or the materials to make it or know someone who has. I was one of them.

The same can be said for other things too. IE,

* John was technologically backward, he had no idea what a smartphone was or how it could improve his life. Until he met sally, he had no incentive of ever going to the store to buy one.

* Tom was a self-induced manic-depressive, it wasn't until he met Brittany that he discovered how a love in God can save someone from the wallowing depths of a depressive mind.

* Brian was a poor blind man, it wasn't until he met Dave that he learnt that it wasn't wealth that could bring him happiness but instead it was Dave's "magic crystals" that gave him the power to see again. :) :oops:

Need I say more on how you are or might be wrong?

fathomlessness said:
...There are also a lot of people that it is high-time they had a groundbreaking experience like DMT to wake them up and change their ways...
Sorry I jump in but I suspect even you have limits somewhere in "pushing" it up to people? Where to draw the line?

For me, intuition is generally good in estimating when and to whom to say what.

Jees said:
My friends that are keen on travels with plants on a mere conservative shamanistic style of works, seem to turn easily away from the extracted. So it's not scare for them but not their tune of song. I understand this very well and never will try to defend extracted or "versus" kind of arguments. I leave it, simply as it is. It happens one of them come ask questions and you notice a more open mentality then.

Exactly. "I leave it, simply as it is". The few i've turned onto smoking have been because they'd asked me about dmt. A few conversations took place before I ever brought out the idea of 'hey want to smoke?'. Feeling people out and using my own judgement had always served me well usually.

Then again, being nervous or scared of trying DMT for the first time doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't, because there have been two separate occasions where i'd smoked with a friend of a friend. On one occasion (and i've told this story before) I had gave this friend of a friend (someone who painted the picture of being able to handle a reasonable dose) an average dose of DMT in the GVG (20mg), needless to say (and thankfully we were on a big comfy bed) this person flailed around wildly throwing pillows all over the bed and appeared that he was having trouble handling the experience. Whereas with a couple others i've turned onto DMT (both were scared, with one stating to me over and over how they were probably just going to back out), they had ended up having very strong, powerful, moving experiences.

Really hard to judge accordingly how someone will fare until they are neck deep in it.

EDIt: I remember this past talk from Terence, and im going to end up butchering this statement because im not able to find the transcript of his talk. But essentially what I remember him saying was:

"I've been asked 'should I smoke?' im not in the best mood or the best of a place mentally? I remember him saying "Noone cares about you or your problems; what difference does it make?"

^^^ This I totally agree with, and not because of my personal experiences with others, but because (ime) after a significant depth is reached in tryptamine space - all these dualisms, all these polarized feelings and/or emotions - they have just dissolved away almost instantaneously in the face of the infinite. That one thing you may be feeling in that exact microsecond in hypersapce could and can instantaneously change into it's opposite, and back again, ad infinitum; everything transforming, rotating, moving into something else, never a constant, aside from constant change.

fathomlessness said:
entheogenic-gnosis said:

It is easy to convince yourself that this is the best method, mainly because it skips any effort that needs to be given in order to establish new connections with people. I just hope that you NEVER ever feel lonely... caus if you do, then your doing it wrong.

I might also add that it is sort to unhealthy to not feel not lonely, isn't it? I thought it had something to do with our fundamental emotional hardware.

I only say this because loneliness has made me make an effort to establish a rapport in a conversation and even at some times to just blatantly walk up to strangers and tell them I like them. Unfortunately, non of it has worked because the people I meet are just absolute DUPES! :thumb_dow I mean, I couldn't be their friend because it would all just end up in us both sitting in silence, lol. I guess now that I failed so many times with the wrong sort of people, your 'method of passivity' seams reasonable. As jack johnson says 'everytime hes rejected man he loses affection', but, then again this is a catch-22 because if you don't try you will never meet like-minded individuals but if you DO try you are doomed for failure (with no hope of success) and, in deed, I have not had success ever.

The best method for what?

I never feel lonely.

I actually have to go out of my way quite a bit just to keep people from bothering me, when I'm in public I already have head-phones in playing loud music, I always have an open book in my lap and a notebook and pen in my hands, and people will still come up to me to get my attention...

I'm constantly surrounded by close friends and family, however I also enjoy solitude quite a bit, I actually would rather be alone, and had my friends not proven themselves to be such amazing, good-hearted, talented, understanding and intellegent individuals in their own right, I would likely spend all my time to myself or performing research.

Like a said I have a very close circle of friends, and I have my family, and honestly just want to be left alone by everybody else.

I'm reminded of an interpretation of a segment in eastern philosophy that has been labeled as a Buddhist quote:

If you cannot find a good companion to walk with, walk alone, like an elephant roaming the jungle. It is better to be alone than to be with those who will hinder your progress.

In reality this was derived as an interpretation of these two Dhammapada verses:

329. If for company you cannot find a wise and prudent friend who leads a good life, then, like a king who leaves behind a conquered kingdom, or like a lone elephant in the elephant forest, you should go your way alone.

330. Better it is to live alone; there is no fellowship with a fool. Live alone and do no evil; be carefree like an elephant in the elephant forest.

-eg

Thanks for all this great replies :)

I think i´ll just stop pushing and ask only once if people want to and if they don´t, i´ll leave them alone until they approach me and ask for it :)

Schaaf

entheogenic-gnosis said:
fathomlessness said:
entheogenic-gnosis said:

The best method for what?

I never feel lonely.

I actually have to go out of my way quite a bit just to keep people from bothering me, when I'm in public I already have head-phones in playing loud music, I always have an open book in my lap and a notebook and pen in my hands, and people will still come up to me to get my attention...

I'm constantly surrounded by close friends and family, however I also enjoy solitude quite a bit, I actually would rather be alone, and had my friends not proven themselves to be such amazing, good-hearted, talented, understanding and intellegent individuals in their own right, I would likely spend all my time to myself or performing research.

Like a said I have a very close circle of friends, and I have my family, and honestly just want to be left alone by everybody else.

I'm reminded of an interpretation of a segment in eastern philosophy that has been labeled as a Buddhist quote:

If you cannot find a good companion to walk with, walk alone, like an elephant roaming the jungle. It is better to be alone than to be with those who will hinder your progress.

In reality this was derived as an interpretation of these two Dhammapada verses:

329. If for company you cannot find a wise and prudent friend who leads a good life, then, like a king who leaves behind a conquered kingdom, or like a lone elephant in the elephant forest, you should go your way alone.

330. Better it is to live alone; there is no fellowship with a fool. Live alone and do no evil; be carefree like an elephant in the elephant forest.

-eg

It is easy to convince yourself that this is the best method, mainly because it skips any effort that needs to be given in order to establish new connections with people. Good friendships can be the lifeblood of a meaningful existence, and from your point of view... so too can the self. I mean to say there is good in both, so one shouldn't just openly deny people because they think want to be alone. That leads to alienation. :thumb_up:

Jees said:
fathomlessness said:
...There are also a lot of people that it is high-time they had a groundbreaking experience like DMT to wake them up and change their ways...
Sorry I jump in but I suspect even you have limits somewhere in "pushing" it up to people? Where to draw the line?

For me, intuition is generally good in estimating when and to whom to say what.

Yes indeed there are limits... nevertheless I think we could all agree that someone with the same demeanor has Hitler could of used a smash from the pipe ;)

Back
Top Bottom