• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Psilocybe subaeruginosa season in Australia

acacian

Guide
Donator
Subbies are in season now and fortunately as part of my work I have found myself in some locations that are conducive to their growth. Below are some from today in a native woodland and some others from a week back growing in the woodlands near a large gorge/waterfall. The ones growing near the gorge tended to have broader stems and were overall a bit ‘meatier’ .. but both forms beautiful. Below some pictures for the viewer’s pleasure

Attachments

• IMG_6930.jpeg
    IMG_6930.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6936.jpeg
    IMG_6936.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6948.jpeg
    IMG_6948.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6863.jpeg
    IMG_6863.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Some more thick juicy wavy cap Psilocybe subaeruginosa.. they tend to be much thicker and more potent in eucalypt woodland as opposed to grasslands in my experience.. definitely my preference over the ones found in pine forests. Curious if other peoples experience with the differing substrates and potency?

Attachments

• IMG_7145.jpeg
    IMG_7145.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7143.jpeg
    IMG_7143.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7123.jpeg
    IMG_7123.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7121.jpeg
    IMG_7121.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7119.jpeg
    IMG_7119.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7128.jpeg
    IMG_7128.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7138.jpeg
    IMG_7138.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
Unsure if there's a substrate difference from what I recall from personal experience but it's a good question that needs exploring. Certain patches are definately stronger.

I think a member on shaman australis posted lab results ages ago and found differences between states. Further south produced stronger subs with I think the most potent tested in Vic Mt Dandenongs. The percentages he got tested were for higher than in the literature iirc. Long time since I read it

I’d love to see those lab results that’s really interesting.

Dandenongs fascinate me to no end.. there’s really something about that area. My favorite Acacia extract has also been from there. Maybe something in the soil is conducive to tryptamines there

Lovely pics again! I find it fascinating that this species apparently is happy both in woodland and grassland. Do the grassland specimens grow on dead grass stems, or is there an element of buried wood involved?

And has woodlover paralysis ever been observed from Australian species?

@Transform probably an element of wood involved I’d say. They won’t be found in paddocks or fields but can grow in grassy areas in forest..

Yes wood lovers paralysis is definitely a thing with subaeruginosa.. I’ve not personally had it but know of many who do

And @Transform no it doesn’t seem they are growing on dead grass stems. I’ll go and have a look later on at some grassy ones to confirm that though. I think in these grassy areas though there would be a layer underneath of broken down matter .. the grassy areas like I said are usually very close to woodlands.. but also extend beyond into some more open areas.

This seems very much to mirror the reports of grassland Ps. cyanescens - that they grow on buried wood. Essentially, we're not really seeing the substrate versatility of something like oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus spp.).

Yeah I think you’re on the money there. Certainly it seems in late autumn to early winter that where there’s a lot of broken down organic matter, subbies won’t be far away. Perhaps in larger chunks of broken down wood there is more food in there for them to grow much more dense. The grassy ones are often very dwindly.

I’m no mycologist though so pure speculation on my part :)

Curious to hear of peoples experience with the wood lovers paralysis here?

Back
Top Bottom