• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Q21Q21 White Funfest - Comparison of HOT and WARM Naptha (pics)

Migrated topic.

Levanah

Rising Star
Hi,

My question is:

I read that some of you clean your spice with IPA to get rid of any possible petro ether (naphta) traces.

Is this steps really necessary with this q21q21 white funfest tek or is this beatyful spice ready to smoke, lets say in 7 days?

Thanks nexus, man! This white funfest is really my personal victory, because my yield with limonene was very low.

Comparison log:

- started with 250g powdered MHRB.

Yield of Pull 1 + Pull 2:
- Day 3 after basifing, each pull sitted 15minutes
- done immediately in a row in a HOT water bath - the naptha [40-60C pure medical petro ether] was BOILING
700mg (pic: brown DMT - on the left side)

Yield of Pull 3 + Pull 4:
- Day 6 after basifing, pull 3 sitted 30minutes, pull 4 sitted 60 minutes
- done immediately in a row in a WARM water bath - the naptha [40-60C pure medical petro ether] was NOT BOILING:
1,3g (pic: white DMT - on the right side)

Wow - it worked!

However I lost 96% of my petro ether. It seems to evap extremely fast.

I lost over 30% per pull.
Before freeze precip I let it furthermore pre-evap 30minutes outside (it's cold in europe right now) and 400ml or so evapped in 30minutes down to 100ml in my wide glash dish (pic 2). And it seemed that it even evapped a bit more after putting it in my -20°C cold freezer. I used 1000ml petro-ether for 4 pulls (250ml each) and I am left with 40ml. Crazy fast evapping stuff. However 6-7 Euro per liter is quite cheap. In my next extraction I won't do the 30min pre-evap step. :)

Attachments

• 20161007_212854.jpg
    20161007_212854.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20161007_212649.jpg
    20161007_212649.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
One thing to add. When I work with petro-ether / naptha I always use a GAS MASK and have my windows WIDE OPEN.

I'm really happy and feel safe with the gas mask... No smells at all!

:!:

Dear you, never let your solvent boil. Even with the windows wide open you can have a pocket of gas that reaches its Flashpoint.

You will not be the first one to burn off parts of their body when that happens.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

The Traveler said:

Dear you, never let your solvent boil. Even with the windows wide open you can have a pocket of gas that reaches its Flashpoint.

Thanks for the info, Traveler. Didn't know that it's so dangerous without open flames.

It was not planed and just happened accidently on my first pull when I followed the q21q21 tek step:

Step 1: Put the top/smaller bowl into the bottom/larger bowl and add enough boiling water to the BOTTOM bowl to match the level of the bark in the top bowl, either that or just until the top bowl floats. This is very simply to warm the naphtha indirectly and safely.

Step 2: Add enough naphtha so you can see it on the sides. It should be 1ml naphtha per 1g of bark or more (100ml naphtha or more for 100g MHRB) The naphtha should stay completely separate from the bark and remain transparent.

*The naphtha does NOT need to be hot, only warm (feel the bowl, not the naphtha.)*

The tek states that the naptha doesn't need to be hot, however it recommends to use boiling water in the bottom bowl. I just used near-boiling very hot water and it made my solvent boiling in less than 4 minutes. I was a bit scared and didn't expected this but then just followed on.

Never again boiling water in the bottom boil.

The Traveler said:

You will not be the first one to burn off parts of their body when that happens.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Yep, I learnt that the hard way on gas double boiler...

BOOM!

:twisted: :x :p

Volatile solvents are no joke. Burns suck, and it's really easy to get them when heating volatile hydrocarbons. Treat these chems with the same respect you'd treat a loaded gun or similar. Just because you don't see an open flame doesn't mean ignition can't happen. A spark from excess static is enough to put you in the ER.

downwardsfromzero said:
Levanah said:
[40-60C pure medical petro ether] [...] It seems to evap extremely fast.
The clue is in the name.

fathomlessness said:
Yep, I learnt that the hard way on gas double boiler...

BOOM!
So, you missed the line where it says "turn of the flame before adding any solvent"? :?

Lucky you can still type here.

Yes well it was in a double boiler in a huge pot so I didn't think the flames would interact but they travelled at least 2 foot around and inside a pot and ignited the naptha until I covered it with a towel... this was many years ago and was my first extraction, there was no dmt in that naphtha pull though, lol.

Back
Top Bottom