• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

regarding NaOH and glass...

Migrated topic.
mydriasis said:
I actually was wondering about this myself recently.

What concerned my more is using mason jars for STB and the metal reacting with the lye/water soln.

Especially considering the lids are made of aluminum.

benzyme said:
mumbles said:
NaOH will also etch glass.

that's what I meant by reacting with glass, causing harm to the structural integrity

but it won't etch it nearly as quickly as CsOH or HF, it takes a while.
I had a very similar conversation a couple of days ago. I was saying to my friend that he needs to oil his rifle so it doesn't oxidise, and he said: "yeah, this and also for not getting rusty"!

Infundibulum said:
I had a very similar conversation a couple of days ago. I was saying to my friend that he needs to oil his rifle so it doesn't oxidise, and he said: "yeah, this and also for not getting rusty"!

HaHaHa!

/me rubs mossberg with steel wool and typewriter oil

Ya gotta be careful with NAOH and glass.

SWIM has personally had a jar crack on him during the mixing process of water + NAOH.
Whether it was the NAOH itself or the heat generated from it is uncertain.
Talk about a wild purple mess.

From that point on, SWIM always mixes his NAOH and water in a plastic jug and then
transfers it to glass once it's thoroughly mixed and cooled down.

Infundibulum said:
benzyme said:
mumbles said:
NaOH will also etch glass.

that's what I meant by reacting with glass, causing harm to the structural integrity

but it won't etch it nearly as quickly as CsOH or HF, it takes a while.
LOL :lol:

Benzyme what is the machine in your avatar?

I investigated this matter, because I wanted numbers. If in doubt, one want:

Borosilicate glass, Akali resistance class ISO 695-A2 or A1

However, at ambient temperatures caustic solutions up to 30% concentration can be handled by borosilicate glass without difficulty.

[..]

Alkali attack on borosilicate glass 3.3 as a function of temperature. It can be seen from the corrosion curves in fig. 2 that the attack on the glass surface initially increases as the concentration of the caustic solution increases but after exceeding a maximum it assumes a virtually constant value. Rising temperatures increase the corrosion, while at low temperatures the reaction speed is so low that reduction of the wall thickness is hardly detectable over a number of years.

http://www.scientificglass.co.uk/pdf/SGL_Glass_Traps_Chemical_Composition_of_Borosilicate_glass.pdf

At ambient temperatures, borosilicate glass 3.3 can nevertheless be exposed without difficulty to alkaline solutions in concentrations of up to 30%.

Back
Top Bottom