• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Soaking Plain Leaf in 190 Proof Ethanol?

Float Legend

Esteemed member
Hello Legends,

Theoretically, lets I have access to an outrageous amount of plain leaf and a bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol. I would like to use the following method to make a strong ethanol tincture; Soak X amount of plain leaf in Y amount of ethanol for Z amount of days, and then decant the solution into dropper bottles. I would rather not use any other solvents or have to evaporate anything. Can a wise SalviaExtractoNaut tell me weather this is a viable method, and if so, what ratios I should do for XYZ? Just curious if something this low tech is a viable option.

Another thread that nearly slipped under the radar!

You'll get a salvia tincture for sure, but it will also contain a lot of plant fats and chlorophyll. Chlorophyll slowly decomposes into a brown crud. And I'm not sure how you plan to use this tincture, so the XYZ is something of a moot point in that respect. There's a Twig Harper recipe for oral salvia tincture that contains a few things to help it become more efficaceous than a plain salvia tincture. I can probably dig it up tomorrow if you yourself haven't found it by then (do let us know!), and here in the salvia section it's worth a digging a little deeper for the salient (sally-ent?) information that I'd be looking here for since that's not top-of-the-head data for me.

Hi @Transform! Seems in my reading of the oral salvia forums/literature plant byproduct helps carry Salvinorin A buccally, and I figured if I decant the solution I will not have so much of that brown crud in the containers I transfer to from the master bottle. I have seen the "Salv-A-Syrup" recipe that is on the Nexus, but it is unclear what the carrier solution is, it mentions olive oil but Sal-A is not soluble in lipids as far as I know. The tincture would be used sublingually, so if you have any thoughts on XYZ in that respect, i'd be appreciative.

Salvinorin A has an XlogP3 of 2.5. This is similar to that of DMT, so we might reasonably expect it to have good solubility in a number of nonpolar, or less polar solvents (hence the preferred use of ice-cold acetone for Sal A extraction). Your assumption(?) about its lack of lipid solubility may require re-examination, although iirc it is practically insoluble in hexane so perhaps the lipid solubility is poor at best. The various posts which refer to the Twig Harper recipe ingredients suggest at least some solubility, however - but this may also be enhanced by the inclusion of essential oils in the blend. What I particularly would add here is that sublingual use of 190 proof alcohol produces considerable discomfort and the tissue damage precludes regular use.

[@Zebbie carried out a number of tests on an oral/sublingual formulation which may prove to be of interest to you as well.]

So, going back to the original question, for the purposes of clearer thinking we'd better relabel X as 'm', Y as 'V' and Z as 't'.
'm' and 'V' in my one experiment (albeit using IPA, and many, many moons ago, thus somewhat hazily recollected) was about 50g dried leaf and 250mL alcohol. I would say the soak time should be kept to a minimum since the SalA is present in trichomes on the outside of the leaf and should dissolve fairly rapidly. Perhaps you'll get away with just percolating the alcohol through your leaf? I'd consider minimising the chlorophyll content of the extract to be quite desirable.

I even have a feeling I may have kept the extracted salvia leaves for reference, so if I manage to find them I'll get back to you with an update of their actual mass since I also know that I used exactly 1/10 of them to make a 10x enhanced leaf. The other thing I've noticed in trials with the enhanced leaf was that, while the salvia spirit didn't like beer - it gave a 'dirty' feeling and resisted opening fully into the space - she loved absinthe, so you may want to consider formulating your tincture into an absinthe-like product. I'm happy to advise on choices of essential oils in that respect (and to that end, you can also check the nutmeg reference post linked in my sig).

Hi @ Transform, thanks for the info. Been hitting the Salvia Tek threads, great resources here. My tongue and gums are well familiar with the drawbacks of grain alcohol tincture lol. Truly just curious if an outrageously low effort, single solvent extract that is immediately a viable ROA is possible, like the tek I described. I think @Zebbie cornstartch tek is probably the best to come out so far.

What springs to mind here is the MEAD principle - Magic is Empowerment by Attention to Detail. This is kind of a further reflection on how a bit of additional effort will prove to be (potentially) exponentially more rewarding.

PS - I had a busy day and didn't manage to locate the old herb specimen yet, but I still have my fingers x'd.

Hello Legends,

Theoretically, lets I have access to an outrageous amount of plain leaf and a bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol. I would like to use the following method to make a strong ethanol tincture; Soak X amount of plain leaf in Y amount of ethanol for Z amount of days, and then decant the solution into dropper bottles. I would rather not use any other solvents or have to evaporate anything. Can a wise SalviaExtractoNaut tell me weather this is a viable method, and if so, what ratios I should do for XYZ? Just curious if something this low tech is a viable option.

if your talking about salvia leaf...using alcohol and crushed leafe...You need to wait several days alowing the all the leafe particles to drop to bottom of container... every day the tincture will look more and more clearer.... then remove the tincture after several days... seperating it from the particles on bottom of bottle...
190 will burn your mouth some if your using it sublingually...
But another benifit would be that you could dropper some salvia tincture on top of some thing smokable ...then alow the alcohol in tincture to ...compleatly evaporate ... before smoking...

Back
Top Bottom