• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Spice?

Hyperspace Fool

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
As with many of you here, I have often referred to DMT and other similar smokables as spice (jim jam or jungle spice etc.).

It began to feel somewhat wrong when that wave of synthetic cannabinoid stuff began popping up everywhere under the name SPICE. I don't want to discuss that stuff, but just to ask whether, considering its former popularity, as well as the negative press it has received both before and after being illegalized in the US and many EU countries in the last year or so... if it isn't prudent to start thinking of better terms for DMT freebase and salts. I have encountered confusion on this subject many times over the past decade.

While we're at it, talking about freebase has its own set of negative (albeit wrong-headed) connotations.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for bringing this up. It has also crossed my mind. I propably would not use the term to an outsider anyways, but yes...Spice is better known as the syntheetic cannaboid, i agree.

I see no problem with spice...contextually, I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT. No one seems to think that people may be referring to jwh/cp.

As to freebase, it's the scientifically correct term for any freebase alkaloid, so to my mind, there's even less of an issue here. If someone has a negative connotation of "freebase", all I can say is it sucks for them that they're so closed minded/unaware of chemical terminology.

I mean, "drug" has a bad connotation in many circles (as evidenced by the "why people hate drugs" thread) should we pretend that DMT (or any substance we like to use) is not a drug?

I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT.

Yes on this board. In .de, Spice has been WILDLY popular for instance. Ask anyone, any "drug user" about spice and he will think you mean JHW.

obliguhl said:
I'd be quite surprised if someone ever got them confused, the board seems to get on just fine with spice being substituted for DMT.

Yes on this board. In .de, Spice has been WILDLY popular for instance. Ask anyone, any "drug user" about spice and he will think you mean JHW.
But even when talking about it outside of this board and relating set/setting/effects/etc...it should be apparent, imo (which is why I put contextually in front of the quote you took). The context of the discussion should, to my mind, make it apparent as to which spice you are referring, no?

I thought spice was a term that could basically be used as a slang for any substance of a certain nature. Everything is spice these days.

The only problem I have with "Spice" is the fact that, despite my most sincere wishes, I will never return to my body to find that my eyes are AWESOME GLOWEY BLUE!

Really, it's not like the terms are going to get mixed up in the same circles. At least, when I talk about synth-weed "spice", I'm usually referring to the unpleasant habits of people I'd rather avoid.
-
I am rather partial to "Rocket Fuel", however

I don't talk about DMT to people who don't know about it already, or outside of the context of general psychedelics, so it's usually not an issue. As far as corruption of name goes, let the ignorant be confused. If they want to learn, they will learn.

۩ said:
I couldn't care less about that crap. N,N-DMT is the spice, regardless of the connotations.

THIS! Plus, I don't know anyone who smokes synthetic cannabinoids... I have a couple of my friends smoalk Spice with me but they only know it as 'DMT' or 'Changa' - they get a little confuzzled when I call it Spice, despite spelling it out to them lol.

I get confused looks from most if I use the term spice, whether they have ever come into contact with the other spice or not. Despite the fact that using the term almost always leads to me having to explain myself I tend to err on the side of using it rather than DMT as it is less clinical and in some ways more subtle. I had wondered, however, if using the term spice would lead to increased attention due to recent legislation against JWH/CP and smoking mixtures based on them, but who knows. Whatever I still like the term spice.

If we have to make a name change I propose we are all mandated to use a new term that I’m sure you’ll all agree really rolls of the tongue. How about “The Hyperdimensional Access and Entity Communication Portal”?

Back
Top Bottom