• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Stupid recrystallization question

Migrated topic.

misterpip

Rising Star
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
38
Merits
42
Hi everybody!

I think I understand this, but I'd like some input from people who are in the know.
If this needs to go into "For FAQ's Sake" then in it must go :)

If I have some crystals that I feel need re-xing can I do that with acetone rather than naphtha successfully? I get the impression this will work. I'd like to be sure though.
The material will have been produced using noman's STB tek.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
I'm no master in this area but I believe that we use a more selective solvent for the re-x in order to separate the spice from impurities. I think that acetone is not a very selective solvent and therefore it'd dissolve both spice and impurities so you'd accomplish little to nothing with the process. Most people seem to use heptane for re-x because it's a very selective solvent and won't drag as many impurities into your final product.
 
Hi, thanks for the reply.
That makes sense. I suppose just because I have some acetone lying round I don't necessarily have to use it.

I've been using a slightly higher quality naphtha for re-x than I've been using for the pulls so I'll continue doing so.

Thanks again.
 
Have you tried using sublimation??
It seems a really cool and easy way to purify your crystals. Plus the benefit of not using a solvent is great too.
A lot of people talk about using vac pumps and condensers for sublimation but for a small batch it seems this way will work a treat:


I found this link in another thread but I can't seem to find the thread now.
Also couldn't find any results on the outcome of using this process... would be interesting to try though.

But yeah, good luck with whatever method you use!
 
Okay - I get the sublimation idea. I am, however, too much of a wuss to try that at this point. I see sooo many things that could go horribly wrong & result in not having any spice. It's probably the warning in red letters half way through that's done it :D

Thanks though. I think it's interesting & I might even attempt it one day......
 
Back
Top Bottom