• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Technique Enhancement

Migrated topic.

amor_fati

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
So recently I've taken to a few methods to extract in a more efficient manner:

-Reusing empty distilled water jugs to store old basified jurema solution.

-Reusing the that same solution to basify second and third pulls (at least as a buffer).

-Using HCL extraction and STB extraction in conjunction on the third pull.

-Using wine bottles as sort of reverse separatory funnels (pulling naptha from the neck, and if it doesn't quite reach, then I use the aforementioned buffer solution to increase the volume of the aqueous solution).

-When mixing npt to the aqueous solution, I prefer to either premix it with the acidified solution and then basify, or drop the basified solution through the npt with either a pipette or a siphon.

...and here's a few ideas I'd like to try:

-using a spray nozzle to introduce the basified solution to the npt, in order to further maximize their exposure to one another.

-fashioning siphoning stoppers out of rubber corks and latex tubing for wine bottles, and maybe adding a nozzle if I can find one that fits.

-using classic-style chianti bottles instead of regular wine bottles.

...and the big one:

-finding or making a box-shaped inflatable device of some kind, cutting holes in it for rubber gloves and an airlock chamber, building a frame for it, from the inside, fashioning an air filter on the inside, over the air nozzle, attaching an electric inflation/deflation device (like for air-mattresses) to the nozzle, and finally channeling the air to a more desirable location--maybe into some absorbent chemical or material or just outside. This would of course be a fume hood, but would open possibilities to other applications like temperature regulation for synthesis or temp and humidity regulation for cultivation.

amor_fati said:
-Using HCL extraction and STB extraction in conjunction on the third pull.

-When mixing npt to the aqueous solution, I prefer to either premix it with the acidified solution and then basify, or drop the basified solution through the npt with either a pipette or a siphon.

- What do you mean here? They're kind of mutually exclusive.

- By npt are you saying non polar solvent? What is the advantage of mixing it with the aqueous before basification?

-In the final acid pull, I would leave the material in the solution, rather than strain it, and basify the the whole thing; so I would be basifying whatever's in the solution (AB), and anything that I may have missed in the material(STB). I'm betting that this probably wouldn't be at all useful with fully powdered material, but could make a difference in mostly shredded material.

-I thought I had seen npt used before as a sort of abbreviation for naphtha, though I suppose I should use the more general, 'nps.' Anyway, the the idea is to mix the solvent and solution together as much as possible before basifying in order to maximize the amount of contact between the two during the reaction.

-So the chianti bottles work wonders, I still have to see about fashioning an integrated siphon/stopper/stopcock(a tap, not a nozzle as I had mistakenly said in my initial post). My other methods have had speedy results as well. This is the first time I've gotten overnight precip without evap, though I suppose that could have more to do with using a smaller amount of naphtha--thanks to the chianti bottles.

I will record the amounts from my next batch of materials to verify the degree of success my methods may enable.

-I don't recommend using mattress inflation/deflation pumps to create vacuo, they're incredibly noisy and aren't suppose to run for more than 15min.

-I've taken to pooling old material and solution in a five gallon bucket for final, last-ditch extraction before disposal. I still hold to the value of storing strained basified solutionin a jug to buffer the volume of material, because it can be a little touchy (at least without a siphon stopper) to siphon into as you approach its max volume.

Back
Top Bottom