• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Botany The Acacia Grow Thread

Growing logs with advice and results.
Migrated topic.
OK, I got enough coarse sand together (on consultation of my esteemed missus, she confirmed which fraction looked best) and the thirteen seeds that sprouted out of nineteen which had swelled have now been planted in the 65:25:5 sand:perlite:coir mix. Photo story to follow.

EDIT: I've just realised I got the perlite and coir amounts mixed up 🤦‍♂️
And to think, I not only double-checked, but also thought "that doesn't seem like much coir" :ROFLMAO: I guess I'm too accustomed to cactus gardening and high-mineral substrates and just shrugged it off, thinking acacias must prefer low-organic compost, especially since my first acacia grow failed due to using compost with way too much organic content.
coarse river sand, peat moss/coco coir and perlite at a ratio of 65:25:5
I’m impressed you went to such effort to sift the fine sand out.. attention to fine details like that really will make a difference in the seedling’s early development
Well, so much for attention to detail - do you think this foolish but easily-resolved error should be dealt with as soon as possible, or should I now wait until the seedlings have strengthened some more? Because right now it would still be very easy to prick them back out of what is essentially sand, and simply mix in an appropriate amount of coir to - hopefully - make things a little more hospitable for them. The current mix is so loose that one of the seedlings had pushed itself out of the sand:
CIMG1000.jpgCIMG1004.jpg
and I've subsequently re-set it into its hole:
CIMG1009.jpg

I'm concerned that if I leave them longer, this may stunt their growth, but then again, coir contains bugger all nutrients anyhow and the low organic content may help prevent mould, so I dunno...

To reiterate, the ratios ended up being 65:5:25 coarse sand/coir/perlite.

I can either sort it out first thing or wait for the plants to grow. Which option is best - or is there some super-genius level solution that I've overlooked (like Scott's Osmocote or whatever)?

Hey @Transform .. I’m really sorry I thought I had replied to this! Must not have clicked post..

I was going to say that at that very early seedling stage just sand should be fine. But a few weeks into development I would do up a mix and add coir/peat moss and a little perlite. How are they looking now?

An update on my end:

Have been nervously observing some of the more cold sensitive species. So far all of them are okay.. some more stressed than others. The maidenii for example have gone dark red, and the courtii are getting more pink by the day. No signs of death yet.. my new place seems well sheltered from frost, while other parts of town get hit harder.

Phlebophylla is of course unphased.. and the floribunda are for the most part shrugging it off. Same with the obtusifolia. That said.. this has been a mild winter. I’ve been fortunate that the cold was delayed this year so they’ve been given a little more time to harden off. The shock of the cold as well as living out of the green house is noticeable.. but I’m confident they’ll all pull through.

Hope all of you acacians are well :)

Attachments

• IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7615.jpeg
    IMG_7615.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7619.jpeg
    IMG_7619.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7622.jpeg
    IMG_7622.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Nursing my Acacia simplex inside for winter. It is too young at this point to risk putting in the frost. Being a tropical plant, I suspect a single frost could kill it this early on..

I figured since the roots won’t be super established until spring, watering from underneath will be fine. So having it in an eski means I won’t make a mess on the carpet when watering.

Attachments

• IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7647.jpeg
    IMG_7647.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Hey @Transform .. I’m really sorry I thought I had replied to this! Must not have clicked post..

I was going to say that at that very early seedling stage just sand should be fine. But a few weeks into development I would do up a mix and add coir/peat moss and a little perlite. How are they looking now?
Hey, no worries - I took the permaculture approach and did nothing but observe. They seem happy enough, although some of the seedlings with stronger roots had to be replanted a couple of times after pushing themselves out of the exceedingly loose planting substrate. There's a sort of collar between the root and the stem that I presume is best somewhere around soil level. Now that they're a bit more advanced, I've resorted to banking up the soil mix around the protruding root, which is of course a lot simpler and less risky than poking around the roots too much.

Here's a few pics from a couple of days ago, and one to show off the protruding radical symphysis (or whatever botanists might call the join between the stem and the root :D)
CIMG1099.JPGCIMG1058.jpgCIMG1057.jpg
This shows the first time one of the seeds pushed itself out of the ground, the little collar should be quite visible if you zoom in:
CIMG1000.jpg

They look happy :cool:

And yeah the collar is where the soil should start. Go too much below the collar and you'll end up with leggy weak stems that can't hold the plant up very well. This is another reason why its good practice to have the seed not too deep in the mix, but deep enough that the collar is not above the soil level. I'll get some photos of some plants where below the collar was left exposed. They haven't developed a lot of roots and the wind pushes them over. This seems key to getting a nice thick stem early on.. I had to repot a whole bunch recently that weren't ready to be re-potted so that I could anchor them a little deeper in the medium.

Making this thread so that people can share their progress growing acacia. Share photos, discuss techniques, share experiences, seed sourcing/collecting and any other info on growing here. Really keen to see more of what people are doing in this area as its a bit scattered on the forums.. hoping to consolidate people's experience growing these plants into a succinct space.

Below is some basic info on cultivating acacia for anyone interested - which I will continue to update once the ball is rolling.. much of this I am paraphrasing from Marion Simmons's book "Acacias of Australia: volume one/two" I couldn't recommend her two volumes highly enough.. they are the bible on Australian acacia.. I'd say much of her info can be applied to acacia outside of oz.

Methods of growing

Acacia can be grown from seed as well as cuttings. Cuttings will ensure true to type characteristics, while seeds can vary in their genetic expression. Some types of acacia are easier to grow from cuttings than others - bipinnate or 'fern-like' plants are more difficult than plants with phyllodes.. I believe because they will fall off the stems when stressed more easily than phyllodes which hold more moisture

Most Acacia seed, with a few exceptions, requires pre-treatment before sowing. The most commonly used method is treatment with boiling water - in which boiling hot water is poured over seeds and left to soak for about 24 hrs or until swollen. Swollen seeds can then be sown into potting mix, or germinated in a dark place on a damp cloth. Seeds directly sown into mix can take anywhere froma week to a month (sometimes even more with some species) to germinate. Already sprouted seeds should pop up within a week.

Growing medium

Acacia likes being grown in a well drained mix.. tried and tested is a mix of three parts river sand to one part loam, coco coir or peat moss. Coir is popular as it is cheaper than peat. Sand allows the mix to drain freely while peat moss/coir helps retain a little moisture and helps bind the mix - as sand can fall out the bottom of the pot when moved/watered. Once the roots have developed a little they will also help bind the medium, preventing sand loss. A small amount of perlite will help aerate the mix.

Depending on your climate, its probably a good idea to grow seedlings in partial shade - full sun can scorch the sensitive little seedlings. When they start maturing, they can be hardened in the elements.. this is best if done gradually as sudden changes will likely shock the plants. A greenhouse setup that is partially shaded and holds heat/humidity works well for the early stages of their life. It's important for there to be ventilation as lack of airflow will result in weak stems. A cost effective option is to build a 'hoop house' with star pickets, poly pipe, greenhouse plastic and shade cloth.

Sourcing seed

Of the lesser researched species, I recommend sourcing seed from confirmed active specimens. Species such as Acacia floribunda and Acacia maidenii seem to have some differen't forms - and much of the seed from vendors probably won't be what you're looking for. Obviously many those outside of Australia can't be as selective with seed.. I think those of us who have access to seed from yielding strains of known variable species should collect, grow and produce seed of these 'type' forms. I hope there can be a standard of seed reached that becomes easy for people to acquire. But my point is for species like maidenii and floribunda, first confirm whether the seed is from a confirmed active plant to avoid future disappointment.

So .. surely there is lots of Acacia confusa being grown by members here? Are many growing African Acacia?

Don't be shy! Can't wait to see what people can bring to the thread. :)
My experience with Acacia growth has been truly rewarding. Watching these trees flourish from saplings to towering canopies has been a lesson in patience and appreciation for nature's resilience. The Acacia's ability to adapt to varying climates and soil conditions is awe-inspiring, reflecting its role as a symbol of endurance and renewal. In my garden, their presence has transformed the landscape, providing shade and attracting diverse wildlife. The process of nurturing them has deepened my connection to the environment, fostering a sense of stewardship and wonder. Acacias, for me, embody the beauty and strength inherent in natural growth.

My little seedling of A. floribunda "Glabrous" broad phyllode.

The other ones got eaten by gastropods 😭 in the spring rains, despite the bands of copper tape around the pot.

a acum glabrous broad leaf.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Jagube! Glad to see more type floribunda being cultivated. Sorry to hear about losing your other plants.. how old were they when they were eaten?

At very early stages I will often put a clear plastic cup over new seedlings as the young cotyledons are fodder for insects and other "predators". Especially will do so if the seed is something I don't have a lot of. Rare plants I ALWAYS cover at early growth stages. Once they get their first phyllodes they seem to do ok.. but I'm sure this differs based on the local ecology.

Looking great @TheAwakening (and nice to see you about) .. mid north coast "brother"?

To those who know the plant in question - curious as to your thoughts on discussing it by name in the context of growing. The cat is well and truly out of the bag now. It is mentioned on multiple psychoactive plant forums and most Australians in tryptamine scene are well aware of it. I wonder whether talking about growing it more openly at the nexus is of any consequence at this point? If there is an online community I think would benefit from the knowledge of growing this plant its probably the community here as people are generally of a sound attitude.

Happy to roll with what others think.. perhaps a few minds might weigh in on this.

Yep
Looking great Jagube! Glad to see more type floribunda being cultivated. Sorry to hear about losing your other plants.. how old were they when they were eaten?

At very early stages I will often put a clear plastic cup over new seedlings as the young cotyledons are fodder for insects and other "predators". Especially will do so if the seed is something I don't have a lot of. Rare plants I ALWAYS cover at early growth stages. Once they get their first phyllodes they seem to do ok.. but I'm sure this differs based on the local ecology.

Looking great @TheAwakening (and nice to see you about) .. mid north coast "brother"?

To those who know the plant in question - curious as to your thoughts on discussing it by name in the context of growing. The cat is well and truly out of the bag now. It is mentioned on multiple psychoactive plant forums and most Australians in tryptamine scene are well aware of it. I wonder whether talking about growing it more openly at the nexus is of any consequence at this point? If there is an online community I think would benefit from the knowledge of growing this plant its probably the community here as people are generally of a sound attitude.

Happy to roll with what others think.. perhaps a few minds might weigh in on this.

Yeah sure is.

It's a tricky topic. While I have for a long time kept it close to my heart I notice that a lot of people seem to know about it, even those who aren't very knowledgeable.

It probably is safer to actually name it with respect to cultivation especially if we can get the seed spread more internationally. It will protect it.

I am willing to put it out there and think it might be time to say it more openly. Keeping its name secret may only harm it at this point and I keep it secret for respect for the work that Nen has done and that he doesn't mention it.

Yep

Yeah sure is.

It's a tricky topic. While I have for a long time kept it close to my heart I notice that a lot of people seem to know about it, even those who aren't very knowledgeable.

It probably is safer to actually name it with respect to cultivation especially if we can get the seed spread more internationally. It will protect it.

I am willing to put it out there and think it might be time to say it more openly. Keeping its name secret may only harm it at this point and I keep it secret for respect for the work that Nen has done and that he doesn't mention it.
Agree 100%

It is a tricky issue.. the nexus is mostly made up of people who don't live in Australia .. and so to me, since it can't get much more known than it is in Australia where the wild population actually occurs (It is by FAR the most popular Acacia to grow for DMT in Oz now), I am not sure whether it being known by the global community would have much negative effect. Of course if people travelled here to exploit the wild population it would be disastrous, however the whole point is that this plant is probably, with the exception of floribunda, the easiest and fastest to grow to a point of being a sustainable tryptamine source.. and much higher yielding and cleaner alkaloid profile than the former. It is also about as consistent as they come. It deals surprisingly well with cold too. I think it is probably the ideal candidate for nexians to grow. The phyllodes contain more than the bark of most species we know..

I'd really like to see this one grown globally, as it will help ensure a seedbank.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I got around to repotting my acacias yesterday and thought I’d share some photos of the root development. Interestingly, there’s a noticeable difference between the species.

Here’s a few observations after approx 10 months growth:

Floribunda and obtusifolia have substantially greater root development than acuminata.

Floribunda root ball exhibits a strong pungent smell (good sign?) the others do not.

Acuminata has a smaller, fragile, less compact root system. Initially grows slower than the others and has trouble growing straight (growth rate has increased substantially over the last 3+ months).

Obtusifolia is the fastest growing with similar root development to floribunda (a densely packed root ball). It is much taller than floribunda however floribunda is more dense and very springy.

Something to note, obtusifolia doesn’t overly appreciate having its roots loosened when repotting (can result in deformed new growth), whereas floribunda doesn’t mind it.

Overall, floribunda seems to be the most robust, with good constant growth, solid root growth and the least amount of pest related issues.

Interested to hear any input or suggestions. It seems Acacia grow reasonably well in Daltons cactus mix. I’ve now repotted them in Goldcote Premium potting mix which has a lot more organic material and the obtuse are finally in the ground!

Attachments

• IMG_20240804_165332.jpg
    IMG_20240804_165332.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240816_163604.jpg
    IMG_20240816_163604.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240816_172156.jpg
    IMG_20240816_172156.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240816_172219.jpg
    IMG_20240816_172219.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
Great work CheeseCat. They're looking great. I've experienced obtusifolia as being pest sensitive. They also seem to be a bit sensitive along roadsides etc where floribunda is fine but I've seen them pushing through regardless, they're tough plants.

One I would recommend for your climate and that I have been hesitant to disclose but its discussed all over fb and reddit now but not properly here (where I feel there is generally a good tone of respect and self responsibility for the most part) is Acacia courtii. It is a fast grower and also yields usually 1%< in phyllodes. It's native range is incredibly limited to some mountains on the coast of NSW and so there has been some hesitation to disclose it from multiple parties. I would wager its better to call it nano-endemic rather than micro due to just how small its native range it.

I do believe that there is enough seed available on places like ebay that it only makes sense to recommend this species now. Growing this seed world wide will ensure seedbanks going forward into the future way more than our national parks and wildlife approach of forbidding seed collection. Relationship to plants and ecosystems creates much better outcomes for all members of the ecology than conservation.

It is the species I have posted pictures of my saplings earlier.

Very soon (probably some time today) I'm going to be starting a bunch of Acacia floribunda and Acacia phlebophylla for the coming spring with some more courtii to follow soon. I'll keep the thread updated.

Thanks Animistic! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Spring isn’t far away which is an exciting prospect. Courtii is a beautiful tree that I've admired for a long time. I’m really hoping I can grow them successfully. I’ll keep everyone updated too. Thanks for the info, I like what you say about growing the seed worldwide :)

Hey @CheeseCat !

Nice plants!

I suspect your acuminata isn't happy in the medium you are using. Its a plant that doesn't like being too wet so a very free draining mix is probably a good idea.

Floribunda and obtusifolia grow in much more moist environments than acuminata.. so that is something to keep in mind. Acuminata grows in quite arid areas that only really get good rainfall in the winter.

That groovy scent you are picking up from the roots I believe is the process of nitrification taking place.. which involves the absorption and oxidisation of ammonia (becoming nitrite) and nitrate. I love that smell. More nitrogen is absolutely a good sign but that scent in the roots doesn't mean anything as far as determining whether the plant will produce DMT. I work at a nursery and all the acacias have that smell in their roots. Usually Acacia roots have that good stank.

@Animistic love the new name :) .. looking forward to seeing your plants!

I spent the day weeding and managed to get 3 more plants in the ground. One of my phlebs and two Acacia oxycedrus. Tomorrow I will get an obtuse, mucronata subs. longifolia, floribunda and caroleae in the ground.

Below a few shots of the day's work.. and a floribunda I got in a little over a month back.

Hope you acacians are doing well.

Attachments

• image_67217921.JPG
    image_67217921.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • image_67250433.JPG
    image_67250433.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • image_67224065.JPG
    image_67224065.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well done Acacian, it’s so satisfying finally getting plants in the ground. Can’t wait until my floribunda are the same size as yours, they look incredible, Phleb looks gorgeous too.

Cheers for the advice on acuminata. I did grow them in cactus mix which is very free draining. When my acuminata first germinated they had a really long tap root which I thought would equate to deep rooting that’s why I was surprised to see a shallow root system. The plant size is actually pretty good, just far less roots than the others.

Acacia oxycedrus looks very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom