• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The Benefits of Unjust policy

RhythmSpring

Esteemed member
Now this might be a stretch for some of you. And don't get me wrong, I believe the ideal situation, ultimately, is for psychedelics to be legal and for people to not be prosecuted for using them. However...

Sometimes I entertain the perspective of "pro-noia," which is the opposite of paranoia. A concept I learned from the Reality Sandwich website, which I don't tend to visit. It's the idea that there is a good reason for everything; something in every thing, even the tragic things, that is for the ultimate good. This resonates with a deep sense of faith I have in the universe.

And so naturally, I ask myself, "What good can come from the prohibition of psychedelics?"

And there is something in the caution necessitated by the prohibition of entheogens that resonates with the caution with using and interacting with the Sacred. Risk of imprisonment frightens us to the core, stimulating the survival instinct, which, if forgotten during our entwinement with the Divine, could be fatal. Something about being secretive about our activities resonates with the way God works--working behind the scenes, silently (and sometimes, hidden in plain sight) like how light illumates without sound. I do believe in a grand divine plan, one that takes time to develop and reveal. And revelation too soon is sometimes destructive. The forcing of divine interaction with plants underground could mean we have more work to do before divinity and freedom flowers Out in the Open. The elevated consciousness begotten by the work we do is built well for careful planning, something that can create impactful, safe beauty.

We are conditioned to be careful about who we talk about drugs to, like we should be careful about who we talk about our divine experiences with--and who we share our deepest selves with. We shan't be intimate with everyone.

The realm of the divine is protected by thorns of all kinds, so we may enter it consciously, eyes wide open, aware of the beauty AND its necessity, it's love AND the severity of its importance--not take it for granted, and let it encompass and heal not just the subtle energies, but the core of who we are as animal primates, living on a beautiful, but dangerous Earth.

Just some food for thought.

May all who are persecuted unjustly for their involvement with the Sacred find freedom, ease, and justice.

Last edited:
Risk of imprisonment frightens us to the core, stimulating the survival instinct, which, if forgotten during our entwinement with the Divine, could be fatal
I'm not so sure I agree with this completely. In none of my sacred experiences has the fear of imprisonement been the safety anchor of my journey. If anything, it has been a source of borderline subconscious anxiety that degrades the divinity of the experience instead of improving it. Knowing that I may be robbed of my freedom, and have my future ruined, because I dared explore my own conscious mind within the confines of my own home, without causing harm or distress to anyone else, has never given me anything of value. In fact, it is one of the prime reasons I want to emigrate to a country that isn't as close-minded as Bulgaria unfortunately is.

With all that being said, it's important to keep in mind that the psychedelic experience, and the fundamental transformation that accompanies and follows it, is not suitable for everyone. Some people need to exercise extra caution, and pehaps even abstain completely (i.e. those with traces of severe mental health issues in the family, like schizophrenia, psychosis, etc). For those people, perhaps, the relative unattainability of the psychedelic experience is a blessing in disguise.

Yet I struggle to rationalize the prosecution of someone that dared venture deep within themselves. This, to me at least, is essentially a war on consciousness, not drugs. Whether it's driven by lack of education on part of those that pass these laws, or malevolent intent of keeping us away from being closer to Nature and the Divine, is another topic entirely.

May all who are persecuted unjustly for their involvement with the Sacred find freedom, ease, and justice.
Beautifully said. I can't add anything to that.

Thank you for the interesting perspective, though. It's good to think about these things from all perspectives, as it's never so simple as black OR white. Always some kind of gray zone in between.

Cheers! (y)

Reason is the basis of rationalization; we can see benefits in everything, we can see negatives in everything, nothing is all good, nothing is all bad. Such is predicated by perspective, preference, and context.

What we move towards in these experiences, what many would call the sacred or divine, is not what many think it is. Think of all the individuals we've all come across who have been "enlightened" by their psychedelic use, only to bury themselves in a delusion they may not be able to escape.

Great post. Beautiful perspective.

One love

I'm not so sure I agree with this completely. In none of my sacred experiences has the fear of imprisonement been the safety anchor of my journey. If anything, it has been a source of borderline subconscious anxiety that degrades the divinity of the experience instead of improving it. Knowing that I may be robbed of my freedom, and have my future ruined, because I dared explore my own conscious mind within the confines of my own home, without causing harm or distress to anyone else, has never given me anything of value. In fact, it is one of the prime reasons I want to emigrate to a country that isn't as close-minded as Bulgaria unfortunately is.
Agreed. I've never found any benefit to this persecution. It's the same suppression that has been going on for millenia and doesn't seem to have done humanity any favors.

Regulations aren't directed at individuals like us. Similar to how I don't have locks on my doors for individuals like you. I have locks on my doors for the thoughtless and unscrupulous. Regulations tend to be for those too thoughtless and reckless.

And persecution hasn't made me feel safe, especially being African American in the US. But the persecution kinda makes me feel like I'm reasonably doing something "special"

One love

We create what we perceive and perceive what we create.

Be true to your heart and creation will allow you to grow.

Regulations aren't directed at individuals like us. Similar to how I don't have locks on my doors for individuals like you. I have locks on my doors for the thoughtless and unscrupulous. Regulations tend to be for those too thoughtless and reckless.

And persecution hasn't made me feel safe, especially being African American in the US. But the persecution kinda makes me feel like I'm reasonably doing something "special"

One love
I don't think there is much evidence that psychedelics were criminalized to protect us from the thoughtless and reckless. Nixon's aid said point blank that the drug war was a way to criminalize the anti-war and civil rights movements.

It's Historically just more of the same. Shamanic/right hemisphere activities (dancing, alchemy, music, drugs, witchcraft, herbalism, you name it) have been suppressed at various times and places by the ruling class due to fear and control

Right, I'm not saying that persecution is in any way a good thing. I guess I'm saying that for those that like find ways to learn and grow from limitation, it can be taken in stride as a lesson in caution as it forces us to be more careful and intentional with how we go about it all. Psychedelics being illegal can remind us that, while they are not nearly as dangerous as "hard" drugs, they ought to be taken just as seriously.

Thank you for your responses.

Even in cultures where it's use was not demonized, it wasn't just anyone who could wade in the illuminous waters found in psychedelics and altered states. The complex nature in juxtaposition to our everyday thinking demands a certain critical thought, interpretation, and self awareness. It's almost like some inherent part of us in community and group contexts wants safety for all in these "elevated" matters, and then limitations and restrictions are imposed.

One love

Thanks for this post
I share your ideas ; the illegality also help to keep things at human level, for most it's a direct personal contact with small growers and alchemysts, passionated people dedicating their lifes to the craft; all in intimate, private setting - allowing things to get filtered.
Now let's compare this with an open shop in a street, the convenience is great, but haven't we lost something critical here? We made the magic into another commodity. We will undoubtly have people pressuring to maximize profit, pushing sale, having predator attitudes. We will centralize production. Not that this doesn't happen already... but capitalism has an unamtched talent for it. The legalization will bring its own burden with it too.
In a way, it's not so bad when the state is relax or too busy with other things, and focus on the big guys with white powder, and we are virtually left alone (though, there's always a risk, and that's a pain for sure)

I think if we want true change we would need to change the financial system, as it is the driver behind all policies.

I have the feeling that AI may become an important impetus behind financial reform. Since ~60% or more of all jobs can be performed by a true uncontrolled AI. This will force a reform of the current financial system.

Will it become more free or less 'free' for the 'individual'. That will dependent on our creative abilities.

Thanks for this post
I share your ideas ; the illegality also help to keep things at human level, for most it's a direct personal contact with small growers and alchemysts, passionated people dedicating their lifes to the craft; all in intimate, private setting - allowing things to get filtered.
Now let's compare this with an open shop in a street, the convenience is great, but haven't we lost something critical here? We made the magic into another commodity. We will undoubtly have people pressuring to maximize profit, pushing sale, having predator attitudes. We will centralize production. Not that this doesn't happen already... but capitalism has an unamtched talent for it. The legalization will bring its own burden with it too.
In a way, it's not so bad when the state is relax or too busy with other things, and focus on the big guys with white powder, and we are virtually left alone (though, there's always a risk, and that's a pain for sure)
Those are all very good points that I agree with. Especially the profit-centric approach every capitalistic system enforces by design. I still would prefer that before the illegality of psychedelics and the imprisonment of people that are caught possessing them, but I do realize there's no perfect situation. Not in today's bizarre financial system, as @rkba mentioned.

@RhythmSpring Good Thoughts 👍
I myself have pondered over the same from time to time.
Atleast in my case the lack of ready availability of psychedelics 'forced' me towards a very 'sober' experience of reality which was anything but mundane and carried the same intensity of mystery as psychedelics.

@Nydex makes a valid point as well. It took me about a year to find an unknown guy close to my location trade shroom spores for cash, because forget growing, how could I possibly trip for 6 hours knowing some random dude has my address and is aware I'm consuming psychedelics.

Also I would like to bring up a point regarding this which TM mentioned in his talks, he said 'We became very agitated' - I think this is something to keep in mind because it is said it is hard to find closure with these stuff.

In some sense I think, On a bigger scale the ban on drugs would have happened one way or another.

Are we, in this society, ready for psychedelics on a large scale?

Psychedelics are also posing a great stance for anti-capitalism. It's per se not about the money and profits but the unethical labour practices used to achieve that profit. We are all benefitting from capitalism even though we may not be directly involved in it. Psychedelics are not a substitute for television which you passively enjoy after a hard day's work in a corporate. It's only a matter of time when a person with enough psychedelic experiences which hopefully matures into a hint of common sense says fuck you to the capital overlords who are well connected with the political scum and them both don't want their pockets getting any lighter.

Reason is the basis of rationalization; we can see benefits in everything, we can see negatives in everything, nothing is all good, nothing is all bad. Such is predicated by perspective, preference, and context.

What we move towards in these experiences, what many would call the sacred or divine, is not what many think it is. Think of all the individuals we've all come across who have been "enlightened" by their psychedelic use, only to bury themselves in a delusion they may not be able to escape.

Great post. Beautiful perspective.

One love
True and very paradoxical.
Via reason and rationalisation we are desiring for an objective truth, at the same time very well aware that nothing is as black and white as it seems.

. Whether it's driven by lack of education on part of those that pass these laws, or malevolent intent of keeping us away from being closer to Nature and the Divine, is another topic entirely.
It could be as simple as money, yes?
Not to discount any other factors that was at play then, but surely all those anti-war sentiments was hurting a lot of people's pockets. Including those American politicians that were involved in trade of firearms and ammunition.

True and very paradoxical.
Via reason and rationalisation we are desiring for an objective truth, at the same time very well aware that nothing is as black and white as it seems.

I think those in philosophic and scientific milieus notice the limits to the paradigms used to glean some sort of objectivity, noticing that we're never really objective, but attempt to be.

One love

Back
Top Bottom