• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

TEK The benzoic acid tek

This topic contain a TEK

Jan e Kharabat

Established member
I thought about writing a separate post since benzoic acid has not received much attention so far. The greatest benefit of benzoic acid is that it can be used to detect the presence of even very minute amounts of DMT in the NPS. It also allows one to complete the extraction in a single day by salting out each pull consecutively. This also reduces the amount of NPS one has to use since you no longer need to freeze precipitate every pull separately. You can also perform an entire extraction in one sitting.

I'll write my preferred method but you can change a few things if you like, such as skipping the freeze/thaw step or going straight to base. Also, I don't think I write in a very organized manner, so please feel free to rewrite this and tidy it up if you can. So here's the Tek:

1- powder your bark as fine as possible, pass it through a sieve and do multiple runs if you have to.

2- add the bark powder in a sufficiently large borosilicate glass bottle, add enough water to cover the powder, add some citric or acetic acid, or HCl if you like, check with a pH strip If the pH is below 3.

3- leave the bottle in the freezer overnight. Take it out and leave it to thaw in the morning. Repeat this process at least 3-4 times.

4- now add in NaOH, I usually just eyeball it so... Can't tell the exact amount. But I try to use as little as possible. One method I found useful was to add until the pH reaches 14, then add naphtha and shake. If it doesn't separate well, add some more and shake again. The right amount of NaOH is that which let's the layers separate somewhat neatly within 15 minutes.

5- if you haven't added naphtha to the bark soup already, add it and then shake, let the layers separate, shake again, repeat a couple of times.

6- prepare a saturated solution of benzoic acid (henceforth BA) in 100-200ml naphtha in a separate bottle. I use a small 250ml borosilicate bottle. You can also warm the bottle to allow more of BA to dissolve.

7- pull the naphtha out of the bark soup bottle and into a 400-500ml beaker or any large enough glass container.

8- add the BA solution and stir. White clouds of DMT benzoate will appear and upon stirring, DMT benzoate will quickly crash out and settle at the bottom. You can do it over a magnetic stirrer if you have one, or just stir manually and keep adding the BA solution to see if more clouding appears. Add smaller amounts by the end when the clouds become fainter so that you don't have too much excess BA in the naphtha by the end. Stop when no more clouding occurs upon adding BA solution

9- let the solution sit for a while, 15-30 minutes ought to be enough.

10- put some of the naphtha from the beaker back into the bark soup bottle and some into the BA solution bottle (just to keep the equilibrium), use filter papers as the DMT benzoate is very fine. The naphtha poured back in the bark soup bottle will likely turn milky, but that is just excess benzoic acid reacting with NaOH. Just shake a couple of times and it will clear up.

11- make the next pull the same way, add BA solution to your pull to crash out the DMT benzoate, then pour the exhausted naphtha back into bark soup bottle through a filter paper.

12- you can separately weigh the DMT benzoate from each pull, or you weigh it together after 6-7 pulls. After that, clean up the beaker, dissolve all the DMT benzoate stuck to the walls of the beaker in hot water, it will take a while. Pour that water into another container and keep it aside.

13- pull again and see how much DMT benzoate crashes out, if the amount is too little, you can either stop extracting or pour the naphtha back into the bottle and leave it for a week or so. After a week, you can pull again and see if enough DMT benzoate crashes out. If it does, leave for another week and repeat.

14- collect all the DMT benzoate, dissolve it in hot water, add it to the container you set aside after cleaning the beaker. You should have all your DMT benzoate in a single aqueous solution in one container, let's call it the mini A/B container

15- add sufficient amount of NaOH to the DMT benzoate solution and pull with small amounts of naphtha until the solution is clear and the DMT swimming on top of the aqueous layer is gone. Collect all the pulls and freeze precipitate.

16- you can check if there's still any DMT left in the mini A/B container by making another pull, and adding a few drops of BA solution. If there's even a few milligrams in there, the solution will turn cloudy. If sufficient amount of DMT benzoate crashes out, dissolve it in water, add it back to the mini A/B container and pull again.

17- Alternatively, you can also perform a dry conversion tek, mix your DMT benzoate with sufficient amount of sodium carbonate, moisten the mixture, let it dry, then pull with small amounts of dry acetone and evap the acetone. The extract obtained in the end can easily be redissolved in hot naphtha and recrystalized, that way you can avoid the mini A/B.

This way, you can control and measure multiple things, the amount per pull, difference between warm and room temp pulls, difference between clean and reused naphtha, number of pulls and amount of NPS needed for the mini A/B step etc. And that too, without having to wait for freeze precipitation of several individual pulls. You can simply collect all the benzoate, weigh it and calculate the amount of freebase.

Benzoic acid can be easily made from sodium benzoate. Simply dissolve sodium benzoate in hot water and add HCl and benzoic acid will crash out immediately. You can calculate the amount of HCl needed for this reaction, but I'm too lazy to do that, so I just eyeball it, then filter out the left over water, add some more HCl to it and see if anything crashes out. The benzoic acid can further be purified by recrystallization from boiling water. Simply dissolve it in boiling water, let it rest and cool down over night, pour out the water, collect and wash the BA crystals with small amounts of cold water and dry them.

Last edited:
I'll be testing for myself but do you know the solubility of the dmt benzoate in different solvents? Even in water? I see you don't keep in benzoate and end with freebase. BTW thanks for the sodium benzoate tip. I'll be experimenting a bit since it has interesting solubility.

Can you recrystallize dmt benzoate from hot water to cold water like with benzoic acid? Or even do this to remove any excess unreacted benzoic acid?

DMT benzoate is very soluble in water, but it doesn't dissolve as easily as fumarate. Also, the initial extract still has impurities and when the residue naphtha evaporates, it leaves behind some fat residue which covers up the benzoate and makes it more difficult to dissolve. So the initial extract is more difficult to dissolve, you have to heat up the water and physically press some of the bits which don't dissolve to free the benzoate trapped within.

Recrystallization is likely possible from hot IPA, but I don't think I've tried it yet. Recrystallization from water wouldn't be very practical, unless you evaporate all the water. You can use a naphtha or dry acetone wash to clean up excess BA. Benzoate is not soluble in naphtha, so you can even use warm naphtha for a more effective wash. I am not sure but it is probably very slightly soluble in acetone, but you can do a wash, evap and see what comes out.

Yes D-limo could work as well but Toluene and xylene might not work in the same way, they may hold more of DMT benzoate, or it may take longer to crash out, but I haven't tested yet. I think Brennendeswasser mentioned that somewhere.

Does this look like dmt benzoate? The weight seems light since it should almost 60%+? in mass from freebase. Probably still in the solvent. I added some more BA to my solvent and more precipitated... I'll filter and then freeze to see if more comes out. I think I found my new favorite salt :)

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does this look like dmt benzoate? The weight seems light since it should almost 60%+? in mass from freebase. Probably still in the solvent. I added some more BA to my solvent and more precipitated... I'll filter and then freeze to see if more comes out. I think I found my new favorite salt :)
Yes, this does look like DMT benzoate. You have to keep adding BA until no more clouding appears, the solution should be completely clear before pouring the naphtha away, and always add another drop before pouring away just to make sure.

I tested 16-18ish mg to see activity and test if indeed it is DMT benzoate and it is indeed active and judging on activity level I think minimal contamination of BA or other salts. I did start from heptane freeze precipitate. Thanks a bunch @Jan e Kharabat Benzoate is indeed a sleeper salt :)

Last edited:
This works well with hexane as well.

Do you know if this works with xylene? If it does I'll always use benzoic acid. So easy and quick.

I haven't tried it with xylene, but I think DMT benzoate is a bit soluble in xylene and won't crash out completely at room temp. You can run a test, weigh out some freebase, dissolve it in xylene and add some BA, then measure the amount that crashes out at room temp and see if more crashes out in the freezer.

How about heptane? Will that also work?
Heptane works but not as well as hexane from my test. Not because it is bad but I guess since it is even more selective than hexane it yielded less so just means more pulls.
I couldn't get it to crash in my freezer since not cold enough only -16C since we are in winter and when I added benzoic acid it did cloud and precipitate like hexane but was a little different in behavior maybe because was very cold.

I'll test xylene and report back.

Heptane works perfectly. As far a I know, the solubility of DMT is lower in hexane than in heptane. You simply pull and then add BA solution. Add in a good amount and then stir, DMT benzoate will crash out.

I never use hexane for extraction as it is very low boiling and doesn't dissolve much DMT. Heptane and naphtha are much better for extraction, heptane is better for the clean up and final freeze precipitation. Hexane can work well for a clean up as well as it is more selective than heptane.

Heptane works perfectly. As far a I know, the solubility of DMT is lower in hexane than in heptane. You simply pull and then add BA solution. Add in a good amount and then stir, DMT benzoate will crash out.

I never use hexane for extraction as it is very low boiling and doesn't dissolve much DMT. Heptane and naphtha are much better for extraction, heptane is better for the clean up and final freeze precipitation. Hexane can work well for a clean up as well as it is more selective than heptane.
I thought it was the other way around… I like heptane for clean up.

In any case thanks for sharing this technique man I think my previous extractions had lots of lost alkaloids and this is an easy way to see if any more is present. I also prefer keeping it in this form making oral ingestion easier without so much pain. Freebase is too alkaline.

If Benzoate salts precipitate from xylene it’ll be my go to for cacti. :)

Just to be clear, we are talking of adding saturated BA solution in Heptane ?

I just tried the same with some left over, post freeze precipitation, naphtha ( adding Naphtha saturated with BA , it seems to take just under 1g BA per 100ml to saturate at room temperature ) and got a very cloudy result which I'm waiting to settle out now :)

You can also add BA directly, but it coagulates and the DMT benzoate forms a layer on top, trapping the BA within and thus stopping/slowing the reaction. I had to crush the chunks and stir a lot, but there was still a lot of BA trapped inside which didn't react. So, I think using a solution of BA in naphtha or heptane is better.

You can also add BA directly, but it coagulates and the DMT benzoate forms a layer on top, trapping the BA within and thus stopping/slowing the reaction. I had to crush the chunks and stir a lot, but there was still a lot of BA trapped inside which didn't react. So, I think using a solution of BA in naphtha or heptane is better.
What volume NP are you using each pull? I went to clean up and see I need to dissolve the BA because I had lots of excess BA. I get clouding so I know there is DMT but I think too much volume of NP to precipitate.

Last edited:
For the pulls I use excess naphtha, say 100-150ml (extracting from 200+ grams of bark). The benzoate crashes out easily as it is insoluble in naphtha. I highly suggest using BA dissolved in an NPS. In your initial pulls, you can add in a good amount of BA solution, as there will be plenty of DMT in there. Your can add for example 30-40ml and stir, flakes will form, like when you make cottage cheese. In later pulls you can use smaller amounts of BA solution.

Back
Top Bottom