• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The Ice House Homestead

Migrated topic.

Ice House

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
I was kinda questioning myself, weather I wanted to do this piece or not, I think I'm gonna give in and just pray that it doesnt give out too much personal information about me in the process.

Sustainable Living!

You got that right ... .. . . . . . . We all gotta do it or else.

I got to thinkin one day, I got a pretty good deal here! A great deal!

I got fed up with the city sold my house, wife quit her job, and we left for the country.

I was never a city boy, never grew up on a farm, but I did live in the country most my life. My wife was born and raised in the big city.

We purchased an old farm house with some fenced pastures and a couple of lean to structures to houe animals, some of the land is wooded and There is a stream that runs through it. 7acres total....

Thats the story line ..... Sorry to bore you with the details but I needed a lead into the pictures.....

Spring comes slow to our neck of the woods but I gotta say, Spring has Sprung!

Just wanted to capture this old cast iron bathtub look closely inside this time of year and the arsparagus shoots are on there way up

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00159.JPG
    DSC00159.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 0
I've been wanting to do this thread for a long time kinda as a diary but mostly to get ideas or suggestions from others.. My wife and I are living life in a crazy sort of way. We know what we want to accomplish but we are really new at this and so its been a trial and error festival around here for the better part of four years. The first year we were clueless. Life is getting better. Life is fun at Ice House. Everything is a work in progress and aventure is never lacking.....

I was walking around my garden area today assessing the situation... I got ssooooooo much work to do, but there are some things thatare bouncing back-

Rhubarb returns! Yeeeeeeehaw!

Lots of strawberrys comming back!

Beautiful spicy Korean Red Garlic planted last October is up and healthy!!! Whoooohoooo!

I have some rasberry canes comming to life as weel as som sage from last year, that I didnt think would make it.

Attachments

• DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00163.JPG
    DSC00163.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Ice House

Sounds like you've got a nice place out there in the sticks...
Its always nice to see new growth after a long winter...
Spring sprung here as well last week but its now sprung away again now...

Ios

Anotherthing that spring in Ice House is new little baby critters!!! Whooooo HOOOOO!

We raise eggs for local sale and consumption. We are also raising a couple dozen fryers.

Right now my count is at 14 laying hens, 28 laying poults, and 24 fryers that will be harvested in about 8 weeks

Organic and truely free range

Attachments

• DSC00168.JPG
    DSC00168.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
One of my favorite things I do at Ice House is raise Turkeys. We carried over Tom and Turkey Girl from last years birds to be the leaders of a new turkey flock.

Sorry folks the turkeys do get harvested.

A bit of good news is Tom and Turkey Girl will never go under the axe. They are to be icons here at Ice House.

Here are some pics of my new flock, these are double breasted bronze tukeys.

Attachments

• DSC00175.JPG
    DSC00175.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00176.JPG
    DSC00176.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    903.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 0
Awesome! One day I hope to get some land in the middle of nowhere...
Congratulations for making it happen, livin' the dream.

OK,

Now its time for and Ice Houe Showed you how moment!

Check out the picture. Yep! Same thing allot of people think when they see em in other folks yards.

Strategically placed in the Ice House Garden this becomes an awesome platform for trellising beans of all sorts! This was one of the best pick ups I've gotten for my garden. I've grown beans on it for the last two years and it works great. I just tie string at the top and anchor it down below at an angle. Growing at an angle gives them better sun exposure and I align the long axis of it east west.

Attachments

• DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 0
Did I mention we compost here at Ice House?

lol

Peeking inside a persons compost bin ya never know what yer gonna find

Attachments

• DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 0
you Mr Ice house are my current hero. I wish I had garden space like that..Right now I must settle for my plot of entheogens sitting in my huge bay window, and small area outside my appartment..thank god Im on the bottom floor and have some garden space. Until I have a house it's this and forraging..

Nice spread. I am sure it is a fair amount of work too, but it is worth it. I love the recycling of the old iron bath tub. A large planter is a cool reuse.

Cool spread Ice House and nice use of space. is that Mary Jane in your compost pile? If so I hope you made the most of her before composting. I love my ice hash and honey oils made from trim. :)

icehouse- wow!!!! your property and manner of living are so beautiful!!!! i get such great vibes from you and your wife, it was an honor to have been fortunate enough to have met you both.

sustainable living is quite a labor of love i imagine and you don't seem to have any shortages in that department!
i look forward to sharing good conversations with you very soon. :d

thabk you for sharing and inspiring others with these pics and words. your a good man.

Beautiful Ice House! You inspire me brother! Someday I wish to grow the balls to break away from the "make believe" world for a life such as yours. Congrats!!

On a related note. Now I get what the turkey profile pic is all about. LOVE it! ;)

Peace!
-idt

The word jealous comes to mind.

Congratulations for having the courage of your convictions. I'm hoping to soon follow in your footsteps on a slightly less grand scale.

Peace

Beautyfull.

My gardening tip would be: don't bother too much about snails and bugs. When plants are under attack they start producing their own insecticides wich often means having a spicier plant. Almost any herb or vegetable becomes tastier when snails start having a go at them. just put them somewhere else when it get's too bad.

Back
Top Bottom