• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The Ice House Homestead

Migrated topic.
Out in the garden this morning early. I took a long hike with my wife and dogs and came home hungry for a monster garden salad. So I was picking through my greens and I found some monster radishes that were ready. They are and extremely spicey hot korean variety. The radish greens were added to the salad and the radishes were eaten whole dipped into some killer locally made blue cheese.

enjoy the pics

IH

Attachments

• DSC00388.JPG
    DSC00388.JPG
    709.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00389.JPG
    DSC00389.JPG
    738.3 KB · Views: 0
What an awesome thing to do. These are the kinds of things that influence me to make changes and live healthier, more happily. Thanks Ice House, we have been working on a garden full of vegetables recently, its very nice what can be done and planting them and eating something you put personal effort into makes you feel accomplished and good about yourself.

Up early this morning and out to the garden to pick some breakfast....... I love a big fresh crunchy head of lettuce in the morning with a little blue cheese crumbled on it and some hot peppers sprinkled on it and then a big pile of black beans dumped on it.

Attachments

• DSC00391.JPG
    DSC00391.JPG
    725.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00390.JPG
    DSC00390.JPG
    572.7 KB · Views: 0
after a weekend away from the farm this is what I picked out of the chicken and turkey pens. This is just two and a half days worth.

The big speckled eggs are turkey eggs.
Enjoy

Attachments

• DSC00393.JPG
    DSC00393.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 0
My fellow Nexians its time for a quick photographic update on the progress of my sustainable living progect.

Enjoy the photos

IH

Attachments

• DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00401.JPG
    DSC00401.JPG
    710.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00405.JPG
    DSC00405.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    683.9 KB · Views: 0
Folks I'm sorry I havent been maintaining this thread very well. Allot has been happening in the Ice House garden as of late and I havent done a good job of capturing it.

Today my wife asked me if we had any potatoes left out in the garden, she wanted to cook some for dinner tonight. I went out to my monster spud patch and dug up a few Red potatoes and some Yukon Golds.

I decided to capture a picture or two of my pumpkin patch also. There will be many more fotos of this in the future as I prolly have 40-50 pumpkins and squash in the big to enormous size.

enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• DSCN0428.jpg
    DSCN0428.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0444.jpg
    DSCN0444.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0443.jpg
    DSCN0443.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Very cool Ice House! It's awesome what you're doing out there.

Just out of curiosity, have you watched any of the Permaculture videos by Geoff Lawton? He's got lots of great info on really getting the most bang for your buck (and neck and back) and keeping everything as sustainable as possible.

I appreciate the tip MelCat. One of the things I do gotta do as I get older is to get smarter. The size of a shovel of dirt remains constant, the weight of that same shovel of dirt increases with old age.

juices drooling from my mouth

thievish bears stealing apples from your trees... what a fantastic place

do you need to buy additional food in the winter?

Great pictures.
One of the nice things about growing your own food is that you can just experiment with what parts of a plant are edible. Very often, a plant has much more edible parts than just the parts sold in the grocery store.

And it justs tastes better when you've harvested it yourself. Beautyfull plants.

Ice House said:
I appreciate the tip MelCat. One of the things I do gotta do as I get older is to get smarter. The size of a shovel of dirt remains constant, the weight of that same shovel of dirt increases with old age.

MelCat... I dig it.. :D

Is it ok if I send you a PM with some info?

Melodic Catastrophe said:
Ice House said:

MelCat... I dig it.. :D

Is it ok if I send you a PM with some info?

@ MelCat Please do! I dont mind PMs at all, fir away!

@ polytrip- funny you mention experimenting with different parts of the plants because I have learned to eat the bright yellow pumpkin flowers. The are delicious fried in extra virgen olive oil and garlic, heerlijk!

@ pau the camera is a Nikon coolpix s8100 digital camera

@ bindu I buy allot of additional food, but I buy as little as I have to.

Back
Top Bottom