• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The Metal Thread

I love Decapitated.

Given the nature of the forum, the "tamer" the better. I probably won't say anything though. While there's some that I find morally objectionable or questionable for me, everyone has their own views, so I don't judge. I don't plan on being restrictive.

One love

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing that. Your perspective justifies mine, and also that I'll be unlikely to remove or say anything.

I know many people that simply like how music sounds. They don't ever try to extrapolate anything from rhe lyrics or sometimes even try go understand what they are.

One love

I know many people that simply like how music sounds. They don't ever try to extrapolate anything from rhe lyrics or sometimes even try go understand what they are.
Absolutely. I've always been this way. I don't see a point looking too far into it, because for me personally it degrades the experience of the music. Listening to specific artists, like Ren, or Aesop Rock, makes sense in terms of analyzing the lyrics, but then there's stuff like what we've shared here where it doesn't make any sense because the lyrics are often quite disturbing. Can't say that it doesn't sound good when it does though.

However, I understand that not everyone feels this way, and some people like to always analyze the lyrics, which is why I'll abstain from sharing the more bizarre and unsettling stuff, like most of IA's work.

Yeah, I find that vocals overall add to the musical essence of a piece, and lyrics can very much add the the same the conceptual vibe, if one can make out what they are. That's really just how my mind works.

One love

Great topic, let me listen to your suggested gems!

I myself am a great lover of music, most styles have their own gems in it, though metal is one of my favorites and just last year I found this gem in that genre (that was already there in 2013 😲):

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Great topic, let me listen to your suggested gems!

I myself am a great lover of music, most styles have their own gems in it, though metal is one of my favorites and just last year I found this gem in that genre (that was already there in 2013 😲):

Kind regards,

The Traveler
Nightwish are cool, quite melodic. I dig their stuff.

One of my favorite metal bands is Australia's own Thy Art Is Murder. Their entire 2013 album "Hate" is outstanding, but my favorite song from it is this one:

Oh, also, I'm sorry, but no metal thread is complete until something by Tool shows up therein. Each of their songs tells a different story that hits deep and in a way no other metal music has ever hit for me.

I was a Tool denier for a long time. I tried listening to them sober a good bunch of times, and every time I was like "meh". Then I was chest-deep in a powerful LSD experience once when I decided to give them one last chance. And then I finally understood. I finally heard the genius in there. And I was never able to unhear it. Since then, they've been my favorite metal band, and it'll take A LOT to for someone else to take their spot.

Given all of the above, it would be virtually impossible to pick my favorite song of theirs. But just for the sake of the mathematical and polyrythmic genius behind Lateralus, I'll leave it here.

I mean, while I don't think of them when I think of metal, if I'm not mistaken they are considered progressive metal.

I like them. Not as much as many, but they're fun.

One love

I mean, while I don't think of them when I think of metal, if I'm not mistaken they are considered progressive metal.

I like them. Not as much as many, but they're fun.

One love
Curiously, I also don't think of them when I think of metal, but that's mostly because I see their music as much more than metal. I can't really explain it, but something in their sound resonates with me on a deeper level. I can say the exact same thing for Pink Floyd.

Tales from The Thousand Lakes from Amorphis is one of those albums I've always really liked, mostly due to their mixture of metal and the 'fairy tale' aspect in their music.

This one is a great example; 3/4 time signature format, piano intro, grunting combined with normal vocal and with an absolute epic synth solo in between:

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom