• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The need for Oxygen Absorbers when vacuuming the mushies?

josboaz

Esteemed member
Donator
Hello,

Quick question about storage:

When I dry my mushrooms with a dehydrator, crumble them, and vacuum-seal them, do I still need to store the vacuum-sealed mushrooms with oxygen absorbers?

And what kind of container should I use the store this all in?

lol, noone replied...

I vaccum seal bigger batches with silica gel and oxygen absorber, bc why not.
the best way to preserve them is in a jar, bone dry, poudered and with agron gas on it.
It is often said that it is less stable in pouder form bc more surface area, but that is wrong. What has more surface area, the densely packed pouder on the bottom with an inert layer or argon on or or some lose dried mushrooms that cannot even have argon on it unless you fill the whole bloody jar...

lol, noone replied...

I vaccum seal bigger batches with silica gel and oxygen absorber, bc why not.
the best way to preserve them is in a jar, bone dry, poudered and with agron gas on it.
It is often said that it is less stable in pouder form bc more surface area, but that is wrong. What has more surface area, the densely packed pouder on the bottom with an inert layer or argon on or or some lose dried mushrooms that cannot even have argon on it unless you fill the whole bloody jar...
I think it’s not clear yet why powdered mushrooms degrade much faster than whole, I think it has more to do with an enzymatic process that is somehow activated by the powdering of mushrooms than that it is an direct result of the surface area of the powder (powdered mushrooms have a much larger surface area than whole)

Other then that I have mushrooms that have been vacpackt in the freezer for over 10 years that are still potent enough. I suppose that the glass jar with argon is nice but I’m not so convinced that it is really necessary.

[...] I think it has more to do with an enzymatic process that is somehow activated by the powdering of mushrooms than that it is an direct result of the surface area of the powder (powdered mushrooms have a much larger surface area than whole) [...]
what enzyme do you have in mind? I have nerver heard this hypothesis and quite frankly just think you are wrong.

Meanwhile here is some data:
1721467003773.png

Powdered with argon is the best way to speserve them, while whole without is the worst.
For a detailed rundown and the methodology behind the data above, see:

It is unfortunately members only, but i would really recommend singing up to Gordo's patreon, its some 3 dollar a month and you could unsubscribe after a month. You get a Psilocybe natalensis and a Paneolus cyanescens spore sprint when you sign up, which is quite the deal.

Gordo does not go into vacuum sealing. If you have a vacuum sealer that uses heat to seal the plstic, i assume it is the best method, with some silica gel and some oxygen absorber, bc why not. However, if you intend to munch on them thw jar is better, just spoon out the amount of powerder you want without tilting the glass to much as to not spill the argon (it heavier than air and thus sinks), then just close your jar or maybe throw some aron on it to be sure. you can buy argon pretty much everywhere. It's used to preserve wine, from oxydation, through the same mechanism as with mushrooms, it exludes oxygen.
If your mushrooms are bone dry and there is not oxygen, I really doubt an enzyme could even work.

Best regards

Your absolutely right I should have put my references in my reply. From the top of my head it was an paper that led me to believe that oxygen was only in part responsible for the degradation of actives so if that’s true then there must be another mechanism that can cause the effect, enzymes would be suspect.
I’m now almost without internet access and it wil take a month before I can properly reply back, so i have to leave the answer vague for now.

Interesting to see the results from the graph, I would say that the data suggests that there is a minimal difference and I wonder if this would be significant for a larger sample size. Now I would say that there not significantly different and that this actually supports the idea that there is more to is than just oxygen.

I should retest my whole mushies after over a year going on two with my vacuum packed, silica gelled, oxygen absorbed, argon gassed packages have degraded any. Based on my last journey they haven't a bit.

Back
Top Bottom