• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Understanding

Physics131

R151ng 5tar
Donator
It was a fallacy to believe that one understood something, as it is more of a feeling of having understood than actual understanding. While this feeling provides security and self-confidence, it only reflects the subjective understanding of what can be understood. Thus, it only considers the understanding of a topic in relation to the currently available knowledge, without accounting for the knowledge that might prevent one from fully grasping something.

Therefore, it considers "only" the conclusions from one or more perspectives that lead to a belief in understanding. Theoretically, one could only speak of complete understanding if all possible perspectives and their conclusions are taken into account. Hence, the statement "I have understood something" is, when viewed soberly, a lie. A more accurate statement would be "I believe I have understood something."

However, it can be argued that some simple "things" can indeed be understood very well. For example, a ball rolls down a slope due to the presence of a gradient under the influence of gravity. To preemptively address the phenomenon of balls rolling uphill, this would be an optical illusion that does not refute my own assumption.

Thus, some things can be explained while others cannot. The degree of explainability depends on the complexity and simplicity of the matters at hand. This does not mean that the phenomena of "understanding" and "explainability" are static. Depending on the starting point and changes in parameters, they can be static/final or dynamic.

Something that can never be understood will always remain inexplicable. Something that proves its simplicity through a single possible perspective is likely to remain understandable. However, this does not mean that something simple cannot become complex and vice versa. And this very point refutes my own contradiction, which leads to the affirmation of my initial thoughts.

A bit paradoxical isn't it?

I've thought about this a lot since high school, having the saying, "understanding is believing enough."

"Understandings" like this one are also why I say I have more than one understanding of most things.

Something is understood until it is shown ostensibly or in some other manner, to be in error. So was anything understood in the first place? Very much akin to the issues found in epistemology. It's also related to objectivity in that we may never truly understand (similar to how we seem to be unable to be truly objective) in a manner that ubiquitously adheres to what we're trying to understand.

Perhaps understanding is something best understood in a scope of variable spectrum and a certain conceptual proximity to what is being understood rather that a blanket binary attitude towards it.

Understanding is in effect a certain stance we take when we feel we have a certain level of assimilation and comfort with that which is being claimed to be understood.

One love

I've thought about this a lot since high school, having the saying, "understanding is believing enough."
"Understandings" like this one are also why I say I have more than one understanding of most things.
The term "understandings" in terms of having more then one "understanding" about something is sensible.
If we substitute the terms with "views" and "view" it makes it probably easier to be understood (if that is even legal in a way that it does not change its actual meaning).
When we look at how Donald Davidson tried to explain "actions, reasons and causes" he had his own theory/aspect/view.
While in comparison "Frankfurt Harry G." with "The Problem of actions" had his own theories.
And both of them make sense in some circumstances and/or considerations

Something is understood until it is shown ostensibly or in some other manner, to be in error. So was anything understood in the first place? Very much akin to the issues found in epistemology. It's also related to objectivity in that we may never truly understand (similar to how we seem to be unable to be truly objective) in a manner that ubiquitously adheres to what we're trying to understand.

Perhaps understanding is something best understood in a scope of variable spectrum and a certain conceptual proximity to what is being understood rather that a blanket binary attitude towards it.

Understanding is in effect a certain stance we take when we feel we have a certain level of assimilation and comfort with that which is being claimed to be understood.
Viewing it like a variable spectrum sounds sensible.
My professor also mentioned/introduced that some things can be viewed in a spectrum.
He mentioned it with the "baldness" example I mentioned in the "objective reality" thread.
I forgot to mention it there.

A bit paradoxical isn't it?
Yes, it is, especially when we would consider that, by "definition" for many, something is no longer considered philosophy if a concrete and absolute answer is found for it.
(although it is not the only definition/reason when something can be considered as philosophy or not)
This paradox is further complicated by the idea that everything that exists could be a philosophical question.
Therefore, if understanding can be viewed as a spectrum, a question can never be explored to the point of having a definitive answer. This not only contradicts the views of many philosopher who believes otherwise, but it also challenges the very definition of philosophy itself.
EDIT: To express my thoughts more precisely, it is very hypothetical and it is one way of viewing it.

Please always feel free to correct me.
And thank you for the replies.
I appreciate this a lot!

Last edited:
I also want to mention how I came to this.
The primary reason, as Donald Davidson mentioned in "actions, reasons and causes", was the parts i read from the lecture itself.
I tried to grasp some paragraphs for a very long time without being sure that I thought that i really understood it at the end.
This lead me to the thought itself, if i really understood what i thought to be understanding.
But I also think that there have been other impulses like the "objective reality" thread or how you used the word "understanding" in more aware ways in other interactions.

After I wrote this thread I was surprised about how I have been using the words "understanding".
This brings me to the thought that this understanding helps to express oneself more clearly.
But it also enables to be understood better.
But I also ask to which degree this can be viewed as beneficial when considering to integrate this in non philosophical communications.
While expressing something as "I believe I have understood" makes sense withing this context of the thread.
Could it be viewed as an unusual way of communicating?
But I do not think it being a matter of honesty, although I wrote very precisely that stateing "I have understood" as being a lie.
Why?
I have a feeling of knowing the answer to it, but I cannot reason it.
In other words I feel the answer but do not know the words required for expressing them.
Not only the words are missing, even the thoughts are not there.

I'll have a reply later (super busy and trying to make space for my own mind), but I do wanna say you on your philosophical journey right now is like watching a beautiful flower bloom.

One love
Wow, thank you! I’m excited about the thought of experiencing this process together.
Please take all the time you need to prioritize what’s important to you first.
And if something can’t be answered, that’s completely fine too. ❤️

My interpretation of understanding is that, in time, it will be revised into a corrected understanding once new, or renewed, perceptions have shown that the initial understanding was an overstanding of the understanding. 😁

🦋

Back
Top Bottom