• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Waste

Migrated topic.

VillainInc

Rising Star
So, I'm curious, everyone here seems to have met someone who extracts spice. Does any one how these people that you met dispose of their waste? I mean, they say, "the solution to pollution is dilution", but I'm sure people don't feel good about pouring acidic or solvent waste down their plumbing and into what ever land that water goes to get filtered before we drink it again. Has anyone met someone that does anything creative with their waste products? Or maybe has anyone met someone that is paranoid about their wastes being found and traced back to them?

I reuse my naphtha until it can't be used anymore. Then it goes to the petroleum recycling at the local dump. The basified just of mimosa cleans out my toilet! Not really worried about a little sodium phosphate and NaOH.

If you have the equipment I encourage reclaiming and distilling your naphtha/bestine.

Hmmm. How would I know when the naphtha is past it's time and ready to be sent to the petro. recycling? Out of all the chemicals used, this seems to be the one that I would like to dispose of better.

I think this topic deserves a bit more attention, seeing as this is an ethnobotanical, the whole enviornmental friendly thing should probally go along with this...

Resuing Naphtha is a good idea. I'll do that.

As for NaOH, would a good idea be to neutralize it, then dump it? Or is this still bad for the enviornment?

I would assume that acid disposal is the least of the concerns (since acids are neutralised in A/B and not used in STBs) plus the majority of acids used are pretty much compatible with life. Citric acid, phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid acetic acid etc are totally fine.

Bases on the other hand are also pretty safe. Ammonia is volatile and a very minor component of earth's atmosphere. Most importantly, it is a by-product of many biological processes, so it is abundant in the ecosystem. It is toxic to organisms however but on the other hand organisms know how to deal with it pretty well.

Other weak bases like sodium carbonate are easily buffered and neutralised in natural ecosystems and I do not feel there is an environmental thread from their use. (at least in those small scale projects some people may partake)

NaOH and KOH might be slightly more harmful, but there are no strong evidence for that. NaOH is used as a drain cleaner as burnt wrote.

Solvents is my biggest concern. Some of them can be pretty nasty. I am not aware how they can be metabolised or cleared by the ecosystems or how they affect them. I feel that people should try and use them as little as possible or reuse them. I really freak out when I see people writing about doing 4x 500ml naphtha pulls, then evaporating the whole thing or even half of it!

I like the FASA not only because xylene can be reused many times, but because minimal amounts of it are necessary since it is such an excellent solvent. And acetone is practically safe for the environment. Its volatility means that it does not accumulate on earth for too long. It evaporates very fast in the atmosphere where it is degraded by the sun's UV.

Solvents is my biggest concern. Some of them can be pretty nasty. I am not aware how they can be metabolised or cleared by the ecosystems or how they affect them. I feel that people should try and use them as little as possible or reuse them. I really freak out when I see people writing about doing 4x 500ml naphtha pulls, then evaporating the whole thing or even half of it!

Use the solvents to help start a fire or something. Its basically lighter fluid 😉

But yes your right its a waste to use 2 liters of naptha in an extraction even if SWIMMERS use half a kilo of bark. However if you worried about environmental impact the amount of solvent that everyone in the world extracting DMT combined would probably equal one cars months worth of gasoline consumption. In other words don't sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom