• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

What to do in Berlin?

Migrated topic.

soulfood

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
Title of threads pretty self-explanatory, eh?

Well I never been to Germany before, then next week I'm having a long weekend in Berlin from Saturday - Tuesday.

My brother's girlfriend lives there and she's been trying to get me over for years. I guess I figure her style doesn't quite match mine, but she's asking me what sort of things I'd like to do. I guess I kind of want to show HER Berlin... if that makes sense? :)

I know enough to know Berlin has a great alternative arts culture but my linguistic skills are holding me back from researching for myself in any depth.

Any local or traveller knowledge would be greatly appreciated :)

soulfood said:
I know enough to know Berlin has a great alternative arts culture but my linguistic skills are holding me back from researching for myself in any depth.

Maybe try O Tannenbaum if it's the alternative arts scene you're into:

They should have some very good Belgian beers :) And they can probably tell you where things are happening.

I'm not a Berliner but I plan on visiting again soon. I'll flash the dmt nexus secret handsign if I happen to see you there :d

Berlin has a wonderful botanical garden.
I have only been there during the summer but if it's open I strongly recommend it.

Destroy the city and get a plane to the Amazonian jungle. 😁

[YOUTUBE]

Hässlich willkommen.

I really don't have a clue. I've been to Berlin two times now and i have to see that it is highly confusing and fragmented. But that is a good thing if you want to explore. All the touristy spots are obviously complete rubbish (parliament, kuh'damm, the historic sites, potsdammer Platz etc etc). Ok, perhaps not rubbish, buit it seems you're looking for a more eccentric experience.

There are also these quarters which once were very "alternative" but are now very gentrified e.g Prenzlauer Berg. But i think there is still a lot of "alternative culture" as in stereotypical leftwing/anarchist. One of these centers would be the "köpi"...I hear its pretty famous.

Art...i don't know but remember the gallery Meredith Dittmar had an exhibition a while back: http://www.strychnin.com Doesn't look too alternative i'm afraid...

What i found interesting was the contrast between east and west, which was still very noticable a couple of years ago. Perhaps things have changed now, but i would take the tram and just drive from west to east and notice the differences...

Sorry i can't be of more help, have fun

edit: Alright, i did some preliminary research....

twofourtwo said:

They should have some very good Belgian beers :) And they can probably tell you where things are happening.

I dont fully understand this, but I'll look into it more later :)

imPsimon said:
Berlin has a wonderful botanical garden.
I have only been there during the summer but if it's open I strongly recommend it.

Awesome. Says on their website they're open, so I'll defo check this out.

steppa said:

Sounds good!

Ufostrahlen said:
Destroy the city and get a plane to the Amazonian jungle. 😁

[YOUTUBE]

Hässlich willkommen.

Cool video!

obliguhl said:
edit: Alright, i did some preliminary research....

Thanks Obli, Loads of useful stuff on that site.

I'll update y'all when I arrive home :)

soulfood said:
twofourtwo said:

I dont fully understand this, but I'll look into it more later :)

Hi Soulfood, I'm afraid I was a bit summary there :)

O Tannenbaum is a bar/ venue in Neuköln that focuses on alternative music and art. I met a lot of interesting people there in the past. Now I haven't been there for the last couple of years but they should still have some interesting things going on. Or they can help you find some cool places, or parties, shows or exhibitions to visit during your visit.

Enjoy your stay!

Back
Top Bottom