• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Wild Grass Extraction Coming Right Up - phalaris arundinacea or just a look-a-like?

Migrated topic.

DMTime

DMTime
453661738_f21453738e.jpg

Miscanthus_sinensis_ja01.jpg

Just for kicks

SWIM plans on picking 5 pounds, running it through a juicer, washing the juice with solvent, raise the ph to 14, extract alkoliods with solvent then freeze.

Swim needs to know if pic #1 & 2 are the correct choosings

SWIM thinks #2 is wrong and #1 is either young canary reed or something close but SWIM having trouble finding anything that looks like this
ReedCanarygrass.jpg

Maybe the grass looks different in the vegatative / flowering stage

#1 doesn't look like canary reed.#2 does on the picture, but if you want to be for sure: the seed husks in canary reed always come in rows on several 'branches' so it looks a bit like a hand with it's fingers if you look closer. Sometimes, but not always, the leaves heve a sort of zebra stripe.

SWIM ended up using grass that looked like #1, these plants were young no more that 12 inches tall.

After the alkaloid extraction their seems to be a massive emulsion that just will not dispurse

This is the emulsified solvent with the first h2o wash on the bottom

CIMG0154.jpg

actual plants used
CIMG0155.jpg

CIMG0158.jpg

Ill tell SWIM to not skip out on the defat for the future experiments, but after pouring off some solvent from the fats and freezing nothing precipitated. Could one simply evap the solvent, or gas with hcl? Any experimental suggestions here?

The lake that I like to swim at is has a nigh-bottomless supply of canary reed grass, and I know for sure that it is in fact phalaris arundinacea. I'm itching to give it a try, but I don't have a wheat juicer. I've heard that the highest alkaloid content is in the leaves, so I would probably just harvest the leaves; it'd be easier to send through the juicer as well. I'm wondering what the typical alkaloid content of the juice itself would be. I've heard that it's just not worth the effort, but I figure that if it works out well, I've got a free, abundant, and local supply of spice.

amor_fati said:
The lake that I like to swim at is has a nigh-bottomless supply of canary reed grass, and I know for sure that it is in fact phalaris arundinacea. I'm itching to give it a try, but I don't have a wheat juicer. I've heard that the highest alkaloid content is in the leaves, so I would probably just harvest the leaves; it'd be easier to send through the juicer as well. I'm wondering what the typical alkaloid content of the juice itself would be. I've heard that it's just not worth the effort, but I figure that if it works out well, I've got a free, abundant, and local supply of spice.

The alkaloid content varies dramatically. Just pull off a couple of kilo's of leaves and go from there. Just remember to defat the heck out of it.

It is not going to be anywhere as clean a profile as from Mimosa, but it sure is a good way to get a free supply.

what you can do is freeze it and then thaw it a few times to break open the cell walls...and then blend the piss out of it...take all that liquid gunk and do some defats...and then once thats done...basify and extract..do freeze precip...and then after that you can recrystallize and possibly end up with some beautiful xtalz

Back
Top Bottom