• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Zinc powder as oxygen absorber for spice storage

Migrated topic.

monomind

Rising Star
Sorry if this information was already discussed elsewhere...
Bau anyways, I am looking to improve my spice storage technique and read somewhere that zinc powder can be used as oxygen absorber. My question is what kind of zinc will do that. Obviousley it is not the zinc oxidise but is it zinc metal ? or other type ? there are quite a few avialable to purchase but I am not sure which type I should get. Also, is there an advantage using zinc over the oxygen absorber sachets ?

Cheers

monomind said:
Bau anyways, I am looking to improve my spice storage technique and read somewhere that zinc powder can be used as oxygen absorber. My question is what kind of zinc will do that. Obviousley it is not the zinc oxidise but is it zinc metal ? or other type ? there are quite a few avialable to purchase but I am not sure which type I should get. Also, is there an advantage using zinc over the oxygen absorber sachets ?

Cheers

Iron powder and table salt :). The iron will eat the water and the oxygen out of the storage. Just make sure you package it well so you dont get iron into your dmt. But you can easily wash that out with a naptha reX.

You can buy those ready made foodsave too. Just google oxygen absorber food.

Ulim said:
monomind said:

Cheers

Iron powder and table salt :). The iron will eat the water and the oxygen out of the storage. Just make sure you package it well so you dont get iron into your dmt. But you can easily wash that out with a naptha reX.

Thanks for your reply. Anther one on the same subject. What about those wine preservers sprays ?
I believe its some inert gas ( Aragon ) heavy than air that is used to create a protective seal on top of opened wine bottles. Any for/against using it to preserve spice ?

monomind said:
Ulim said:
monomind said:

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. Anther one on the same subject. What about those wine preservers sprays ?
I believe its some inert gas ( Aragon ) heavy than air that is used to create a protective seal on top of opened wine bottles. Any for/against using it to preserve spice ?

Its called argon and you can buy it in some hardware stores.
But its way to expensive and overkill in this case. You only need it to preserve chemicals that explode/catchfire/get destroyed instantly when in contact with air.
Simply keeping the dmt dry and out of light will make it last way longer. You dont need to do anything extra.

Back
Top Bottom