• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

ZnO > Zn How to convert?

Migrated topic.

olderROM

Alfred
Correct me if I am wrong... but I was wanting to convert ZnO(Zinc Oxide) to elemental Zn. I can do this by using a strong acid such as HCl correct? And then letting it evaporate?

I think I need to somehow get some elemental hydrogen... =P that sounds daangerous and outside of my capabilities.

Certainly, there has to be a way. Possibly extreme high heat to turn it back into the metal. Maybe with the assistance of electrical arcing or similar--that's how they do aluminium.

Thing is, it's no doubt cheaper just to buy pure Zn powder...

Yeah, I was thinking heat as well... but I don't know what kind of heat that would require. I accidentally bought ZnO instead of Zn. I just got some Zn........ another week wait though.

olderROM said:
Yeah, I was thinking heat as well... but I don't know what kind of heat that would require. I accidentally bought ZnO instead of Zn. I just got some Zn........ another week wait though.

melting point of zinc is 420C, so you'd want to keep it under that or else you end up with a lump of metal!

I'd just wait for your straight zinc powder...

ROFL :lol: Guys You are sooo FUNNY hahahahaha :lol:

Heating ZnO hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha you will add to Global warming a LOT , lol

Is a bit about heating actually, but in more sophisticated way
Elemental Zinc (Zn) is commonly get via reduction with Carbon (coke) in very high Furnace (simmilar as one used for producing steel)
ZnO + C -> Zn + CO

This is a funny one cos reduction doesn`t run bellow boiling point of Zinc.Also if vapour of zinc get a bit colder reaction with CO2(which is produced by burning carbon)creates ZnO and CO and you are back at the beginning, lol

So the vapours are led away cooled down a bit and dissolved in rain of liquid lead which makes amalgame and protect zinc to oxidise back to ZnO. one can get 99% Zn from this which could be vacuum distilled to obtain 99.99% Zn

Or, convert oxide to sulphate first
ZnO + H2SO4 -> ZnSO4 + H2O
then reduce using electrolysis
Zn2+ + 2e- -> Zn0

One can get Zn 99.95% via electrolysis and maybe it could be possible make it home. don`t know details though. Only know that on the Aluminium cathode zinc will be created.

Back
Top Bottom