• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Can xylene pulls can be backsalted?

Kalitechnik

Established member
Hey folks please help me on this one as i am wondering, can my xylene pulls be backsalted?
Do i understand correctly that i can use water with citric acid to backsalt my xylene, and later add the base solution and do the pet ether pulls to freeze precip my xtals?

And how to do it corectly? If i will have around 350 ml of xylene, how much acidic water i should use, and how many times i should do it?

Last edited:
Ran a typical A/B on 200g bark strained the bark, let lye water cool, and after basing cool. Did 3 cold pulls with naptha and froze.
Not a lot, but pretty white crystals.

I took Kalitchnik’s advise and Rand two more hot pulls using xylene then went straight to backsalting with naptha and froze that trey.

Got A LOT more than expected from the late xylene pulls, and it’s a fairly decent first pass.

Next I’m definitely doing all xylene hot pulls straight to backsalting

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpeg
    IMG_0365.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Great! Nice to have some colab on a topic. So this bacsalted xylene is one pull? BTW. if you could give some numbers... how much you started with, how much you got , etc.... Cheers @bodymechanics
200g of bark
4 long (overnight) acid cooks straining the liquid from the bark each time.
I used citric acid on each cook bringing my ph to 2-2.5
Collected all the strained liquid totaling 1750ml
Added 130g of lye to get a ph between 12-14
Let it cool.
Did 3 cold pulls using naptha
100ml
150ml
75ml
Freeze precipitated

Then did two hot xylene pulls
100ml
150ml
Made about 200ml of acidic solution at a ph of 2.5 added it to the xylene.
Mixed very well, separated the xylene from the acidic solution.
Added 1cup of lye water at a ph of 12-14 to the acidic solution and mixed well.
Did two pulls with naptha
100ml
75ml
Freeze precipitated

I’m not sure what weight I got. I have t weighed anything lately. My good scale broke. Looks about 3.?-4grams as expected

The xylene definitely has more of a fine goo where the cold nap pulls had almost no goo

I’m not sure what weight I got. I have t weighed anything lately. My good scale broke. Looks about 3.?-4grams as expected

The xylene definitely has more of a fine goo where the cold nap pulls had almost no goo
Hope you manage to replace your scale soon - the density of the crystals in bulk can vary quite wildly:

Interesting that you did cold naptha pulls.. I imagine it would pull much less DMT.. but to see that it has pulled any is very useful info for you to share. But my question is: was the base soup warm/room temp or was it all cold? Because of the base mixture wasn’t cold then the naptha won’t have been either once mixed through.

Looking great 👍

Interesting that you did cold naptha pulls.. I imagine it would pull much less DMT.. but to see that it has pulled any is very useful info for you to share. But my question is: was the base soup warm/room temp or was it all cold? Because of the base mixture wasn’t cold then the naptha won’t have been either once mixed through.

Looking great 👍
Base was room temp along with the solvent. And yes it got less dmt but beautiful dmt.
Pulling with xylene after that got quite a bit, but it could be cleaned up. However it’s surprisingly less gooey than I expected

So I started on a dedicated batch for part of @Kalitechnik idea.

200g bark
I did 3 acid cooks straining the mud each time over a period of three days.
Each acid cook simmered for hours at 80c and sat idle overnight then strained.
1st cook 1L ph 2
2nd cook 750ml ph 2
3rd cook 750ml ph 2.5
Added to my 2L Erlenmeyer totaling 1725ml
Made 1 cup of lye water that sat till it became clear, added it to the flask and mag stir for 45mins ph of 12-14 ish.
Cranked the heat on the mag stir till Erlenmeyer was hot to touch, not too hot to pick up, but too hot to hold for over 30second.
Did 5 xylene pulls
1st 100ml new xylene semi saturated but weak ish
2nd 100ml new xylene saturated but still slight
3rd 75ml new xylene extra saturated
4th 75ml used xylene super saturated
5th 50ml used xylene saturated

Now I’m just waiting on more lye so I can decant, and backsalt this beast with hot naptha.
Let cool to room temp.
Wrap in a heat pad and cool in the fridge.
Possible to the freezer, but maybe it’ll look really good after days slow cooling in the fridge 🤞🏻

Looking forward to sharing the results @Kalitechnik

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
COOL !
I dont understand what you mean by this:

1st 100ml new xylene semi saturated but weak ish
2nd 100ml new xylene saturated but still slight
3rd 75ml new xylene extra saturated
4th 75ml used xylene super saturated
5th 50ml used xylene saturated

what is this saturated/super saturated things?

And also i dont understand why do you keep basing for a long time, usually as i understand we want to minimize the time ot that stage.
(as @Loveall observed the more time in teh lye the more chance to get gooey, polimerized dmt?)

And also i noticed you skipped adding salt at all to the mix?

I’m just describing the xylene.
I used fresh xylene and used xylene. The used xylene definitely became more saturated. Might be due to those being the later pulls.
By the time the lye mixes into the juice I start pulling.

@Kalitechnik
Here’s my xylene experiment backslted with xylene.
I just wanted to share here because I got this idea from you, and I greatly appreciate all the back and fourth.
I might make my own thread about it, or maybe this will just be the place.
I’ll weigh this after it dries.
Seems to have turned out wonderfully.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
This begs to question.
Why to the bigger formations look a little yellow, while others are straight white.
What makes the yellow “come together” and leave the rest alone?
Good question - maybe the yellow stuff is stickier? :p
Also, the yellow stuff will have crashed out first, and it has a higher content of polymers. It has formed larger crystals from being there for longer. The smaller crystals are purer as they formed more slowly from the resulting less-concentrated solution. I suspect the white crystals will have a higher density than the yellow ones, but I could be wrong. Some of the yellow material may be denser because of the polymer content, plus it's not homogeneous so that metric is of limited use.

Good question - maybe the yellow stuff is stickier? :p
Also, the yellow stuff will have crashed out first, and it has a higher content of polymers. It has formed larger crystals from being there for longer. The smaller crystals are purer as they formed more slowly from the resulting less-concentrated solution. I suspect the white crystals will have a higher density than the yellow ones, but I could be wrong. Some of the yellow material may be denser because of the polymer content, plus it's not homogeneous so that metric is of limited use.
Thank you for the detailed response.
I may try to weigh some equally sized yellow vs white crystal

@Kalitechnik
Here’s my xylene experiment backslted with xylene.
I just wanted to share here because I got this idea from you, and I greatly appreciate all the back and fourth.
I might make my own thread about it, or maybe this will just be the place.
I’ll weigh this after it dries.
Seems to have turned out wonderfully.
great xtals. i wonder how much will they weight. also please post the yellow oily stuff, maybe some other more experienced users can give us some information about them.

the idea of backsalting xylene came to me after reading many colaboration around nexus, so i would say its from the common mind space. Would be nice if we can keep it in one place and not make more threads about it. I found nexus to be a nice space of colaboration, and the more people are actively involved in it the more we can get it together. Possibly we might change the name of the topic one day.

I am preparing to try to filter the freebase after backsalting and basing the solution as @doubledog sugested before.
Please post some more pictures from the process and give some numbers too when you will get your scale.
cheers !

This is the best I got right now for a scale. Not as big a yield, but very much crystal only. No goo.
It oddly has almost zero smell

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
This is the best I got right now for a scale. Not as big a yield, but very much crystal only. No goo.
It oddly has almost zero smell
Very nice pics! Crystalline + no smell very much suggests that it's the pure substance, and goes to illustrate how pure DMT can indeed be yellow.

You might want to use some kind of tray or liner on your scale, to help avoid gumming it up - a square of foil will do.

Back
Top Bottom