• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Check what your solvent contains here

Migrated topic.
FLeP said:
I'm having trouble readin the msds sheets. Nowhere on the one I'm looking at does it list the hydrocarbons used. It just says Lt. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent and these listed below:

ACGIH TLV
PPM
OSHA PEL
PPM

Are these the things I need to look up? I'm not having great luck so far.

What is the brand name of the solvent you use?

ACGIH and OHSA are American chemical safety regulators
TLV - threshold limit value
PEL - permissible exposure limit
PPM - parts per million

Light doesnt exactly sound like what I'm looking for but to be honest I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly I'm aiming for in my naphtha content. Can you shed some light on this? Is what I have a desirable solvent for dmt extraction? The only thing I've been able to gather is that I want aliphatic and not aromatic.

something cool said:
Anyones ever work with Recochem camp fuel?

I know this is old, but I also found a jug of this. I phoned the company and they said it didn't have any additives (like coleman fuel) and it looked clean. I evaped it though and appeared to be an oily residue. Too bad because its a lot cheaper than rosonols.

FLeP said:
Light doesnt exactly sound like what I'm looking for but to be honest I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly I'm aiming for in my naphtha content. Can you shed some light on this? Is what I have a desirable solvent for dmt extraction? The only thing I've been able to gather is that I want aliphatic and not aromatic.

Petroleum naphtha is split into light and heavy fractions during the refining process. Light naphtha boils between 30C and 100C, while heavy naphtha boils between 101C and 190C.

You want light naphtha for DMT extraction as it contains fewer different hydrocarbon structures and very little in the way of cyclics.

Short answer: yes, your solvent is fine to use

ehud said:
something cool said:
I know this is old, but I also found a jug of this. I phoned the company and they said it didn't have any additives (like coleman fuel) and it looked clean. I evaped it though and appeared to be an oily residue. Too bad because its a lot cheaper than rosonols.

i just recently found this solvent in canada, and from the MSDS it seems to be better than Ronsonol, Zippo or VM&P.
but its possible that i read the MSDS wrong, so if a chemist or the like, could chime in here it would be great.

> Recochem Camping fuel (Quebec)
> CAS # 64742-49-0

> naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light
> Aliphatic hydrocarbon

> Boiling/condensation point 64 to 94°C (147.2 to 201.2°F)
> Conc. (% w/w) 100 (think that means 100% naphtha?)

it seems to be 100% naphtha, with nothing else added. No rust inhibitors, like other camping fuels and fluids. (i.e colemens).

http://209.226.4.29/Clientsportal/PDF/3/9/6/149693R6a.PDF
http://www.rona.ca/en/camping-fuel-0263201

OK, i wasn't too good at chemistry... Is Ronsonol a good choice, or should i go with something like ACE VM&P Naptha from the hardware store? I don't understand these charts at all. I wish someone would just say "use this"... :d

For what it's worth, it says these runs were done in 2005. Many of these products may have changed their formulas up significantly since then (I know Klean Strip has a few times).

lewinii said:
ehud said:
something cool said:

i just recently found this solvent in canada, and from the MSDS it seems to be better than Ronsonol, Zippo or VM&P.
but its possible that i read the MSDS wrong, so if a chemist or the like, could chime in here it would be great.

> Recochem Camping fuel (Quebec)
> CAS # 64742-49-0

> naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light
> Aliphatic hydrocarbon

> Boiling/condensation point 64 to 94°C (147.2 to 201.2°F)
> Conc. (% w/w) 100 (think that means 100% naphtha?)

it seems to be 100% naphtha, with nothing else added. No rust inhibitors, like other camping fuels and fluids. (i.e colemens).

http://209.226.4.29/Clientsportal/PDF/3/9/6/149693R6a.PDF
http://www.rona.ca/en/camping-fuel-0263201

I can't seem to find naptha in Canada. I was planning to purchase that camping fuel from Rona that you linked, but even that is sold out now. Did you have any success with it and do you know where to get more of it? Thanks.

looloo said:
I can't seem to find naptha in Canada. I was planning to purchase that camping fuel from Rona that you linked, but even that is sold out now. Did you have any success with it and do you know where to get more of it? Thanks.
How about using the forum search engine? I just typed in "naphtha canada" (you need to spell naphtha correctly btw) and readily found lots of posts with information. Some recent threads are:

Is this Naphtha ok?
Substitute for naptha
What lighter fluid or alternative?

Good luck.

pitubo said:
looloo said:
How about using the forum search engine? I just typed in "naphtha canada" (you need to spell naphtha correctly btw) and readily found lots of posts with information. Some recent threads are:

Is this Naphtha ok?
Substitute for naptha
What lighter fluid or alternative?

Good luck.

You don't think I tried using the search engine? All the links you provided are 2 years old.. I'm just trying to get a more recent answer. As you know, things can change. Even in the links you provided some people are saying Ronsonol no longer works and Zippo lighter fluid has changed their recipe.

hello
i have tryed 2 extracction wth the sae naphtha, andwhen i hoing tp eveporae, it never get fully evaporated. it always get like a brown fat snd never gets clean or dry.
i thinking culd be becouse thhr kine of naphtha i uin. im reading nowth componets in it , adsa it has
hydrocarbons and c9 aromatics
coukd anybody help me ?
thanks
Alberto

Strangely they just offer product details to the 100 version ... but the following aspects apply to both and I think you should not use both for this reason:

They are only aromatic Hydrocarbons and not aliphatic Hydrocarbons. Aromatic means, their electrons have a different hybridization and binding condition. They carry an additional form of electrons, called P-electrons. These can induce much higher Van-der-Waals binding forces and therefore these aromatic solvents are regarded as much "stronger solvents".

This means that you will never be able to freeze-precipitate anything with them. Also because of this you will catch up a huge amount of unwanted compounds. Being inable to freeze-precipitate you would always have to fully evaporate your solvent - which is possible of course, but you will always be left with a goo and maybe only 50 % of this will be DMT. Not only purity is an issue, but also sticky stuff is always a nightmare to handle.

I'm not from the US so I never was into VM&P Naphtha, but I think it has only aliphatic Hydrocarbons, which have the correct solubility profile to selectively dissolve mostly only DMT and also drop it at -20 °C in the freezer. No reason to go for another product.

Then you also should take an eye on the isomer size (the size of the single molecules that are sold as the solvent). The perfect range is C6-C7, meaning isomers of Hexane and Heptane. They have the perfect solubility profile and are also the best for freeze precipitating.
As stated above that 2 solvents are not useful due to their aromatic nature, but also they have "too big" molecules, being a mix of C8-C10. The boiling point is much higher because of this (135 °C - 210 °C) and this is always a good way to quickly check if you have the correct mixture. The max boiling temp (upper end of the temp range) would be not higher than 100 °C if you have the C6-C7 mixture. Even if you have aliphatic (and not aromatic) hydrocarbons, therefore being the correct chemical family, you would get a bad solubility profile and not be able to freeze precipitate, if you go to a high boiling point range, so also keep an eye on this. C6-C7 is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom