• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Confusion over what naphtha or solvent to use for extraction please help...

MysticKestrel

Esteemed member
Hi all . This is my first post on the forum after say 8 months of using the how to guides when pointed in this direction by a friend.
I got given some un labelled naphtha to start of my extractions but now I've tried to purchase some myself.
I'm a bit worried about selecting the wrong stuff.
What solvent is best for extraction? I'm based in the U.K if that makes a difference to what is available. I have seen some vokes naphtha on eBay but not sure if that is safe or good enough?
Also is there any better solvents but naphtha that gives a cleaner extraction as I'm hoping to make juice for my sub ohm?

Thanks in advance,

Happy tripping !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240625-134520.png
    Screenshot_20240625-134520.png
    610.5 KB · Views: 13
When using a new source of solvent, always put a little on a glass dish and let it fully evaporate outside, it should leave no trace whatsoever, which means it has no (potentially harmful) additives.

Naphta (c6 & c7, including all isomers) will work just fine. The definition of naphta varies per country.
Try to find the 'cas-nr' on your bottle and look it up here for the precise ingredients. Same cas nr equals same solvent.

For example: Coleman Fuel (cas: 109-66-0) which is Pentane with all isomers.

More expensive (and possible tracked because its a precursor of making drugs):
N-Hexane C6H14, boils at 69 °C (156 °F) the N means its 'normal', aka in a row, so no isomers
N-Pentane C5H12, boils at 36 °C (97 °F) you can see it boils at rather low temperatures, so don't exceed it, or it will all evaporate (violently)
N-Heptane C7H16, boils at 98 °C (208 °F)

For solvability info check this.
Which is best depends on your situation (what is legal, what can be obtained readily) and priorities (price, how much/little you want to use, the solvability, the max temperature).

Your product seems to be this I cant read it all, but it might have benzene in it, which is associated with an increased cancer risk. It seems to have no cas-nr, but it does have a EW-NR. Triple check if it has benzene. if it does, switch to another product.

Your product seems to be this I cant read it all, but it might have benzene in it, which is associated with an increased cancer risk. It seems to have no cas-nr, but it does have a EW-NR. Triple check if it has benzene. if it does, switch to another product.
Naphtha products for sale to the general public in virtually all developed countries will have to comply with an upper limit on benzene of <5%. In practice, there will virtually always be way less than this because benzene is valuable enough in its own right to be worth recovering fairly meticulously.
N-Hexane C6H14, boils at 69 °C (156 °F) the N means its 'normal', aka in a row, so no isomers
N-Pentane C5H12, boils at 36 °C (97 °F) you can see it boils at rather low temperatures, so don't exceed it, or it will all evaporate (violently)
Point of chemical pedantry, but nonetheless important: these should be written with a lower case 'n' no matter what, i.e. n-hexane, etc. to avoid confusion in other cases where an upper case 'N' is used to denote substitution on a nitrogen atom, as in N,N-DMT.
When using a new source of solvent, always put a little on a glass dish and let it fully evaporate outside, it should leave no trace whatsoever, which means it has no (potentially harmful) additives.
^Definitely this, and also make sure that the glass dish (or mirror) is meticulously clean since tiny amounts of residual grease or detergent can lead to a false positive for non-volatile contamination.

What solvent is best for extraction? I'm based in the U.K if that makes a difference to what is available. I have seen some vokes naphtha on eBay but not sure if that is safe or good enough?
You may also want to try looking for things a bit like this, but ideally without the propellant gases (i.e., propane, butane & isobutane):
Non-aerosol versions are available:
but I haven't checked if the second one is a naphtha product.

Low odour white spirit may also be a viable (last resort) solvent:
but the evaporation test is all the more crucial with this.

My first ever extraction was done using Wilkinson's (RIP!) BBQ lighting fluid - mostly as a joke. It worked very well, but needed recrystallisation from a clean-evaporating solvent to remove the non-volatile residues. Gaining a grasp of the availability of various types of naphtha and their commercial applications helps one to target possible solvent sources.

DMT can be extracted with a wide range of solvents (even vodka, followed by lime for tannin removal) but the main thing is that it's obviously best to avoid introducing unnecessary contaminants from the solvent - as you rightly surmise. Explore the forum to find out more!

Attachments

• -English (UK).pdf
    584.1 KB · Views: 3

Naphta (c6 & c7, including all isomers) will work just fine. The definition of naphta varies per country.
Try to find the 'cas-nr' on your bottle and look it up here for the precise ingredients. Same cas nr equals same solvent.

For example: Coleman Fuel (cas: 109-66-0) which is Pentane with all isomers.

More expensive (and possible tracked because its a precursor of making drugs):

For solvability info check this.
Which is best depends on your situation (what is legal, what can be obtained readily) and priorities (price, how much/little you want to use, the solvability, the max temperature).

Thanks for the in-depth reply this really helps. I will take this all into account. Thankyou.

Naphtha products for sale to the general public in virtually all developed countries will have to comply with an upper limit on benzene of <5%. In practice, there will virtually always be way less than this because benzene is valuable enough in its own right to be worth recovering fairly meticulously.

Point of chemical pedantry, but nonetheless important: these should be written with a lower case 'n' no matter what, i.e. n-hexane, etc. to avoid confusion in other cases where an upper case 'N' is used to denote substitution on a nitrogen atom, as in N,N-DMT.

^Definitely this, and also make sure that the glass dish (or mirror) is meticulously clean since tiny amounts of residual grease or detergent can lead to a false positive for non-volatile contamination.

You may also want to try looking for things a bit like this, but ideally without the propellant gases (i.e., propane, butane & isobutane):

My first ever extraction was done using Wilkinson's (RIP!) BBQ lighting fluid - mostly as a joke. It worked very well, but needed recrystallisation from a clean-evaporating solvent to remove the non-volatile residues. Gaining a grasp of the availability of various types of naphtha and their commercial applications helps one to target possible solvent sources.

DMT can be extracted with a wide range of solvents (even vodka, followed by lime for tannin removal) but the main thing is that it's obviously best to avoid introducing unnecessary contaminants from the solvent - as you rightly surmise. Explore the forum to find out more!
Thanks also for the great answer. This really helps. Ile try the recommended products. Benzene is a worry. Ile do the evap test to check too. Thankyou again really impressed by these answers.

Extracted and put in the freezer. Heptane turned yellow but not very cloudy not confident about getting a good yield. 🤔😕....
Heptane is rather selective, you may want to try running the next pulls a little warmer to improve the yields.

Another thing to be aware of is that slower cooling will allow larger crystals to form. At the present state of play you could try allowing the dish to warm up to room temperature again (make sure it's airtight to avoid condensation) and then putting it in the fridge for a bit, before transferring it back into the freezer. This will cause any smaller crystals to dissolve and allow any remaining crystals to grow larger. Thermally insulating the dish somehow will also slow the rate of cooling.

Heptane is rather selective, you may want to try running the next pulls a little warmer to improve the yields.

Another thing to be aware of is that slower cooling will allow larger crystals to form. At the present state of play you could try allowing the dish to warm up to room temperature again (make sure it's airtight to avoid condensation) and then putting it in the fridge for a bit, before transferring it back into the freezer. This will cause any smaller crystals to dissolve and allow any remaining crystals to grow larger. Thermally insulating the dish somehow will also slow the rate of cooling.
I did what you recommend and I've got some rather large crystals compared to my last naphtha extractions. I only extracted at around 40 degrees and the crystals are nice and light coloured which is what I wanted as I'm hoping to mix into a Pg mix to use in a sub ohm so didn't want fats and wax to clog it up. So far ide say n heptane is a great option instead of naphtha. Do you know if the extraction will have different properties as I've used naptha e.g give different psycadelic effects? Or is it purely just less fats etc.

I did what you recommend and I've got some rather large crystals compared to my last naphtha extractions. I only extracted at around 40 degrees and the crystals are nice and light coloured which is what I wanted as I'm hoping to mix into a Pg mix to use in a sub ohm so didn't want fats and wax to clog it up. So far ide say n heptane is a great option instead of naphtha. Do you know if the extraction will have different properties as I've used naptha e.g give different psycadelic effects? Or is it purely just less fats etc.
Glad to hear this trick - presumably, the slow-cooling - worked out for you! Or did you warm up the first batch of naphtha again?

If it was from a second pull you may have got a bit more yield as the bark has had more time to break down in the alkaline mixture.

Some blind tests here a good few years ago appeared to indicate that aesthetic differences were not responsible for differing subjective effects and any perceived differences from a darker batch were ascribable to expectations and self-suggestibility. The coloured, oily material consists of oligomeric/polymeric DMT formed by electron transfer from the pyrrole portion of the molecule rather than actual fats or waxes, at least in the case of MHRB.heptane has most probably acted highly selectively towards the non-polymerised material, giving you your clean-looking results.

If you want to try making vape juice, be sure to check out the HIELO method and/or the use of citric acid to produce a pH-neutral e-juice:

(Don't worry about the ethyl acetate, this was just to give a broader picture.)

Glad to hear this trick - presumably, the slow-cooling - worked out for you! Or did you warm up the first batch of naphtha again?

If it was from a second pull you may have got a bit more yield as the bark has had more time to break down in the alkaline mixture.

Some blind tests here a good few years ago appeared to indicate that aesthetic differences were not responsible for differing subjective effects and any perceived differences from a darker batch were ascribable to expectations and self-suggestibility. The coloured, oily material consists of oligomeric/polymeric DMT formed by electron transfer from the pyrrole portion of the molecule rather than actual fats or waxes, at least in the case of MHRB.heptane has most probably acted highly selectively towards the non-polymerised material, giving you your clean-looking results.

If you want to try making vape juice, be sure to check out the HIELO method and/or the use of citric acid to produce a pH-neutral e-juice:

(Don't worry about the ethyl acetate, this was just to give a broader picture.)
I warmed up the first batch again wrapped up the bowl in tea towels to reduce how quickly it cooled in the freezer.

Thanks for the other tips I will have a read.

It will be interesting to see how my trips differ with this white product. I will take photos next time it will make for a better thread.

Thanks again 🙂

Hi all . This is my first post on the forum after say 8 months of using the how to guides when pointed in this direction by a friend.
I got given some un labelled naphtha to start of my extractions but now I've tried to purchase some myself.
I'm a bit worried about selecting the wrong stuff.
Also is there any better solvents but naphtha that gives a cleaner extraction as I'm hoping to make juice for my sub ohm?

Thanks in advance,

Happy tripping !
Hi I am also from the UK and am having the same issue, did you find a product to use and if so what was it ? This would appreciated

Cheers in advance

Hi I am also from the UK and am having the same issue, did you find a product to use and if so what was it ? This would appreciated

Cheers in advance
Check this post for a few pointers:
[…]^Definitely this, and also make sure that the glass dish (or mirror) is meticulously clean since tiny amounts of residual grease or detergent can lead to a false positive for non-volatile contamination.

Back
Top Bottom