• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

could we have a realtime chatbox pweze?

Migrated topic.
maybe a simple ajax one would be better?, I could make one that just requires a php file or 2 and a txt file.
Only the last 20 lines or w/e we would decide would be saved in the text file

Im in IRC too, ill try to idle if u wanna hook up the Op, I have modded channels before

olderROM said:
The one thing that would suck about live chat... is it might kill a lot of valuable discussion.
That's why there's not such a chat. SWIM's not very enthusiastic about the live chat idea anyways. What kind of discussions can one have there? "Chemistry"-based discussions are mo0re suted for the forum where things are archived.

Plus, i cannot stop thinking about all the pranks one can do in a chatroom; I presume I can register my nick as "olderROM" or any else nexus member's nick, right?:twisted:

It fun to chat with people who have similar feelings about existence and meanings of life though... these type of discussions are more fun to have live

I know I would enjoy a live chat option, but I don't think that it should be used for questions. It should just be used for shootin the shit. I agree that a live chat option might lessen the amount of info that is put into the forum. As long as we are all just bs'in it should be fine though.

well, i'm late to the discussion, but i have to say as much as i would like real time convos with at least 90% of the people on this forum i agree that the potential loss of documented info would be a loss.

honestly when things get on a roll forums work pretty well for me. plus i've never been a chatroom fan,so maybe i'm not the most impartial judge.

Since when did open communication lead to loss of information? That was pretty silly to say.

Copy and paste into thread. If nothing else, this will speed up learning. Just make sure you come here and type it up if you learn something useful.

Xstacy said:
Since when did open communication lead to loss of information? That was pretty silly to say.

Copy and paste into thread. If nothing else, this will speed up learning. Just make sure you come here and type it up if you learn something useful.

Maybe you will post on the forum what you learn from your chat but in my experience not many will.

ok i have my own entheogen site and i do have a chat app on it - it did draw info away from the forums as its much easier for ppl to just pop in and ask a q but that has been sorted out - questions are kept to the forums and the chat is for just chatting and getting to know other members.
If controlled properly i dont forsee it being a problem, but that doesnt mean someone needs to be there to control it, ppl on my site are able to govern themselves and im sure it would be the same here - perhaps a test run is a good idea - just for a week or so - if it fails it can be removed - if it works out well im sure it would be much appreciated.

Phlux- said:
ok i have my own entheogen site and i do have a chat app on it - it did draw info away from the forums as its much easier for ppl to just pop in and ask a q but that has been sorted out - questions are kept to the forums and the chat is for just chatting and getting to know other members.
If controlled properly i dont forsee it being a problem, but that doesnt mean someone needs to be there to control it, ppl on my site are able to govern themselves and im sure it would be the same here - perhaps a test run is a good idea - just for a week or so - if it fails it can be removed - if it works out well im sure it would be much appreciated.

You are right there Phlux-,

A test run would be the good thing to figure out if this would work.

Doing this might also just be a natural step for the dmt community? don't be afraid of loosing anything on the forum, there are still the teks, the people who want to post teks and the people who want to post their experiences. They really won't/can't post those in a chatbox.

I presume I can register my nick as "olderROM" or any else nexus member's nick, right?

If you implement an IRC-based chat, you can use Nickserv which allows everyone to register their nicks so that no one else can use them.

Back
Top Bottom