• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

DMT ethanol extraction from DMT & calcium hydroxide slurry.

Someone suggested that basifying a crude xylene extraction with Ca(OH)2 and drying it would allow one to extract the DMT freebase from the slurry, leaving behind the Ca(OH)2 and calcium acetate (having used acetic acid for the aquesous phase) as they are not soluble in ethanol. Now, what's usually readily available for some people is 95% ethanol. Would it be necessary to fully dry the ethanol for such a procedure to work? Furthermore, is DMT-N-oxide soluble in ethanol?

Last edited:
Someone suggested that basifying a crude xylene extraction with Ca(OH)2 and drying it would allow one to extract the DMT freebase from the slurry, leaving behind the Ca(OH)2 and calcium acetate (having used acetic acid for the aquesous phase) as they are not soluble in ethanol. Now, what's usually readily available for some people is 95% ethanol. Would it be necessary to fully dry the ethanol for such a procedure to work? Furthermore, is DMT-N-oxide soluble in ethanol?
Where did you see this suggestion?

A small amount of calcium hydroxide may dissolve in 95% ethanol, it certainly makes vodka (37.5% ABV) rather alkaline.That doesn't mean it would be worth drying the ethanol though, especially considering you mention "slurry". You need to dry the lime paste to a powder.

A bit of CO₂ should precipitate dissolved Ca(OH)₂.

DMT-N-oxide would almost certainly be soluble in ethanol, but the usual oxidation products are DMT polymers, not the N-oxide.

Thanks. Somehow I had missed the resource you linked to. Highly appreciated.
The suggestion cane from a forum member. He only suggested using et-OH for extracting the DMT from the Ca mix. All the rest is my speculation/insecurity.
I meant to say "dried mix". I apologise English is not my native language and sometimes I mix up meanings.

When you say "DMT polymers" as products of oxidation, would that mean an inactive compound formed from the DMT? Is that a concern when doing extractions?

I don't really understand the procedure you're suggesting, but if you want to extract DMT using only calcium hydroxide and ethanol, it's possible, but would be a bit messy and possibly result in a lower yield. You can simply powder the bark, mix it with calcium hydroxide, make a moist paste, mix it really well, and let it dry as much as possible. Once it's dry, you can add ethanol, mix it up and pour it off. That's the messy part because the bark powder comes along with the alcohol and it's difficult to pour it off without getting any bark material. I had to use coffee filters but that just makes it all even messier. French press could do better, but the powder is fine (as it should be) and would easily pass through the mesh. One way to make sure you get all the goodies would be to do several pulls, each time pouring off only what you easily can. You'll end up having to use a large amount of alcohol though...
One possible alternative, which I haven't tried myself, would be to salt out the freebase from the ethanol solution. Benzoic, fumaric, or possibly citric acid could do the job. After salting you could use the same ethanol again for the next pull. I use this method with naphtha, with around a 100-150ml I can finish an entire extraction, pulling, salting out, and using the same naphtha for the next 10 or so pulls until nothing precipitates on salting.

Thanks. Somehow I had missed the resource you linked to. Highly appreciated.
The suggestion cane from a forum member. He only suggested using et-OH for extracting the DMT from the Ca mix. All the rest is my speculation/insecurity.
I meant to say "dried mix". I apologise English is not my native language and sometimes I mix up meanings.

When you say "DMT polymers" as products of oxidation, would that mean an inactive compound formed from the DMT? Is that a concern when doing extractions?
Try following the method in the video, but use MHRB instead of acorns. Should leave you with a solution of crude freebase.

Back
Top Bottom