• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Do you think hitchcock movies are trippy?

Migrated topic.

dragonrider

Staff member
For some reason i find a movie 'like north by northwest' to have a very psychedelic sort of...vibe. I don't know how to exactly describe that vibe, but these movies often have a touch of magical-realism. It looks real but yet unreal. Like a very weird dream.

I'm pretty sure it's deliberately done that way. Hitchcock movies are full of subtle and less subtle visual effects.

Am i the only one who finds hitchcock movies to be a bit trippy?

dragonrider said:
For some reason i find a movie 'like north by northwest' to have a very psychedelic sort of...vibe. I don't know how to exactly describe that vibe, but these movies often have a touch of magical-realism. It looks real but yet unreal. Like a very weird dream.

I'm pretty sure it's deliberately done that way. Hitchcock movies are full of subtle and less subtle visual effects.

Am i the only one who finds hitchcock movies to be a bit trippy?

I have watched all of them and definitely feel it is true. The Kafka movie called the The Trial (1962), along with The Twilight Zone all share very similar aspects to hitchcock films, with a pre-1960s aesthetic to them.

Somehow though, if it was all in color and was crystal clear HD it wouldn't share the trippyness.

Hitchcock movies are often praised mostly for his mastery of "suspense". Personally, I find them most interesting for their psychological layering. He takes a theme from depth psychology and works it through to the point almost of surrealism. Perhaps that could explain the sense of magical realism that you experience.

Has anyone here noticed how "The Birds" is really about women? "Bird" is english slang for girl.

pitubo said:
Has anyone here noticed how "The Birds" is really about women? "Bird" is english slang for girl.

Was there a time when very silly ppl (both men & woman) where looked upon as sexy?......Is it making a comeback??

It is effectively a movie against bird. In particular larger black feathered songbirds with apparent sentience/sapience. Stuff from the movie is even used in today's bogus law suits:
“No one wants to be trapped living inside an Alfred Hitchcock horror movie,” noted attorney Anna Johnsen in a Seattle P-I article. “This is a residential neighborhood that was not designed to host a 'large-scale' feeding operation.”
The quote was from here in relation to this story.

Back
Top Bottom