• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

FogBong!

Egzoset

Vaporist of Borg
Salutations,

Here's my 2012 series of semi-DiY experiments based on ultrasonic hudimifiers, actually built around a "Mist Maker" module. Overall it confirmed the potential benefit of cannabic vapour conditioning that includes just a tiny ajustable amount of moisturized air, solving the anoyance of coughs as a bonus. Its effectiveness felt so convincing i decided to switch to VaporGenie's pipe being well aware of clean-burning butane self-generating steam besides carbonic gas.

Independant Duplication always been a key feature in all my challenges so i chose to rely on easy/convenient hacking of pre-existing commercially available devices, in the present case some relatively affordable appliance producing cold fog through ultrasonic water cavitation. Lucky me i found one product where the round top opening diameter matched that of a soft drink bottle at 105 mm (dia.) while also equiped with a handle inside which could double as a mounting hook:
1- 105 mm aperture of Ultrasonic Nebulizer (extract from TinyPic 2dl6nf9, 2012-Nov-6) [320x90] .png

That particular purchase didn't only prove justified, while it was in stock nearby i also managed to get food-safe (aquarium) PVC tubing to start building a mixer cavity as shown below:
2 - Fog Mixer Parts for Ultrasonic Nebulizer (TinyPic 2rot543, 2012-Nov-14) [500x400] .png

The black refurbished joint plugs came from a few previous nebulizer experiments, the rest are vaporizer accessories:
3 - Full Path PVC Tubing for Ultrasonic Nebulizer (TinyPic ogc4dl, 2012-Nov-22) [500x300] .png

Notice how sections of smaller PVC tubing caused repeated turbulence before the fumet was inhaled, though the critical part is that sliding section located at the bottom of a "U" shaped tube punctured with a tiny hole, so to form an ajustable mixer injection site:
4 - Fog Conditioning - Shutter Mixer Aperture (TinyPic jh57yc 2eey53t, 2012-Nov-22) [500x400] .png

That's certainly the most clever part considering that fog condensation happened to cause formation of a droplet inside my cannabic path and it got large enough to seal the injection hole between inhalations by virtue of surface tension + gravity, yet also allowing an aproximately-dosed amount of moisturized air to enhance each puff.

Such conditioning effect cured my frequent coughs, it was devine!

This is a view of my « FogBong! » contraption held in place by a convenient combination of mounting handle and simple copper wire:
5 - Bag 'n Fog (extracted from TinyPic wah98g, 2012-Nov-24) [480x340] .png

Notice how those choices supported direct/indirect and bag strategies:
6 - Vaporizer & FogBong! Nebulizer Paths (Previously TinyPic 11b5jxc, 2012-Dec-1) [520x480] .png

#1/#2 accomodated an optional 2-speeds air pump. #3/#4 was used to fill a bag, or #3/#5 for direct inhalation via an anti-return water valve (rudimentary bubbler)... #6/#7 or #4/#7 determined if my bag would be involved or not. Finally, #8 delivered the ajustable mix so i could evaluate how much is too much.

Years later my customized VaporGenie pipe would fit inside a 11 cm (Large) x 9 cm (Wide) x 4 cm (Deep) leather pouch with all of its necessary accessories, this didn't but it sure was a treat in my venerable veranda flooded by sunlight and/or moonlight in Shawinigan:
7 - Ultrasonic Nebulizer - Fog Testing in my Veranda (TinyPic qq92cn, 2012-Nov-10) [400x500] .jpg

As a side-note, the anti-return vase plugged into that vaporizer's air inlet prevented/delayed the moist cannabic path to send moisture back into its oven, which would have cooled it down dramatically... No need for this much precaution when using only a disposable bag combined to some Mist Maker module in a bottle:
8 - Fog Conditioning for Bags using Mist Maker module (TinyPic 33m6b68, 2013-Jan-14) [600x440] .jpg

Ah, and the bubbling sounds + Mist Maker light-show really added to the experience at night:
9 - Vaporizer & FogBong! using Mist Maker module (TinyPic 2z89hkl, 2012-Nov-4) [400x300] .png

In pure honesty those were days i dearly cherished! 🥹

Anyway, this is what's been involved, concatenated in my conceptual schematic symbol below:
10 - FogBong! Conceptual Schematic - Formerly a GiF (TinyPic 6px7r4, 2012-Nov-17) [270x350] .png

The basics are still there to serve as a reminder if one ever wants to try.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Last edited:
That's pretty dope, well done! How fast does the bag get filthy and needs to be cleaned/replaced? Because I'd imagine relatively quickly. Or perhaps the vapor is clean enough for that not to be an issue?

Thanks for sharing such an informative set of images, it's a big improvement over some of the last designs of yours I've seen.

Cheers!

How fast does the bag get filthy and needs to be cleaned/replaced?

I'll recycle the picture to answer that question more properly:

6-Vaporizer-Fog-Bong-Nebulizer-Paths-Previously-Tiny-Pic-11b5jxc-2012-Dec-1-520x480.png

The water droplet forming INSIDE my inner "U" shaped cannabic tube (between #7 & #8) was partly protected between inhalations since it blocked its moisture injector entrance, but there was still going to be backwards contamination so i didn't feel like taking any risk with eventual mold growth; actually the same goes of regular HerbalAire bags which tasted gross after a while anyway... Yet, improvement of the moisture isolation was quite possible via the (#5/#6) anti-return water valve, by plugging a balloon at its input (#5); but an obvious trade-off for doing so would have been water-washing of aroma/taste hints, while my main objective using a FogBong! was to get rid of contact with liquid water, by performing water-less conditioning exactly..

Thanks for sharing such an informative set of images, it's a big improvement over some of the last designs of yours I've seen.

What i done before often got erased by the passage of time, not to mention it's not the same to proceed from a catalog + retrospective compared to updating a journal associated to distractions while not knowing what comes next just yet.

Glad it made a point, lets see if the reader will be inspired enough to evaluate the merits independently! The reason i decided to post it again was simple: i watched a guy's video on YouTube and got reminded of my own cough issues that occurred before i got my VG pipe fixed, which kept me busy starting in March 2013...

Thanks for the nice contribution. Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Update:

Here's a view of the "Mounting Hook" mentioned previously:
FogBong! Mounting Hook & 1-Way relocated Anti-Return valve (2mzwmiv, 2012-Nov-8) [390x260] .png

Notice the white inversed "U" shaped feature partly visible under the dome, maintained firmly in place by a red copper wire terminated with a stylish dual-loop...

Another item this reminds me about is the 1-way anti-return water valve displaced relatively to picture #6 (the one with multicoulour path numbers). This was an attempt to keep moisture away from the vaporizer's oven by acting via pressure at its inlet port, but i vaguely recall fog condensation still created droplets along the upper tubing section which eventually fell down the slope as a result of gravity, which implies a 2nd "pit" located between the glass wand and dome would have been actually required to fix such experimental imperfection during long sessions.

Additionally, i must also point out i later switched to an alternate fog source based on burning-hot steam, to better address contamination issues requiring spotless maintenance.

😷

Back
Top Bottom