• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

hallucinations and OBE's/NDE's

Migrated topic.
burnt said:
How surrealistic are these people. Just look at it for a moment closely: The moment you are out of your body and you SEE it from above, you are not connected anymore. Therefore maybe a chemical is active in your body, but you are not in it.

Anybody who believes it's sort of a dream should research on the topic a little bit.
And i doubt that anybody who actually experienced it can claim it's just an hallucination!

I think these people just heard about the topic and want to point themselves out as very clever logic person who has it all figured out!

Actually your assertions are not necessarily true. Many people have experienced such hallucinations and there is no evidence that they weren't merely hallucinating. People like Charles Tart have claimed that they have evidence for OBE's because someone who was under surgery had one and could see a number they had on a desk but it was later found that there was a window in the room which would have allowed the person to see the number. I think since they have done studies showing that people never see the number on the desk. Maybe its a word I don't remember.

They can also trick the mind without anesthetia into having out of body experiences.

Furthermore SWIM has experienced OBE's using anesthetics. Although it seems real there is no reason to believe you have actually left your body.

There is plenty of evidence showing that OBE's are "all in the mind".

Where? What evidence? I would like to review it to see what kind of experiments they did. ( Oops, i guess i should have kept reading, someone asked that already)

Wow that sux. The world now seems a lot more shitty. So its just me and the world, thats sad, i personaly think the world is pretty fucked up, its sad thats all i will probably experience.

I've had two OBEs, or possibly three, the third of which was under different circumstances. All three occured when I was straight headed.

The first two happened when I was laying in bed, drifting off to sleep. They both happened when I was 17, and I had moved to a house 300 miles away from where I previously lived.

When the first one happened, I was aware that I was in the car park of a social club where I used to live. It was picture perfect, and the time of night and weather all matched perfectly. I was suddenly aware of a dark figure appearing in front of me, at which point I went back into my body with a jerk, and I was back in my room.

The second experience occured a few days later. I was aware that I was in my street not far from my house, looking straight ahead, rather intrigued by the circumstance. Before I had time to enjoy the experience, I snapped back into my body with a jerk, and was once more back in my room.

Both these experiences happened relatively close to each other, and where both in a period when my life went through some dramatic changes. They occured ten or eleven years ago, and I have not experienced anything like it since.

The third experience happened a few weeks after the first two, but the circumstances where different. I was not laying in bed when it happened (although I had literally just got out bed), the place I went to was not familiar to me, and it did not occur naturally; but was caused by orthostatic hypotension from getting out of bed and standing up too quick.

I used to get orthostatic or postural hypotension quite a bit when I was younger. I would stand up too quick, would get dizzy (and have to hold onto something), my vision would go black for a few seconds, then my vision would return, and I'd have a strange; kind of euphoric; sort of ultra-real feeling.

So I got out of bed and stood up quickly, and could feel myself going, so I balanced myself with a hand on the wall. My room was pitch black, and at the time when my vision would usually go black; a well lit room appeared before me, with a red carpet, and people sitting in chairs. A few seconds later and the vision faded, and I was back in my dark room. I switched the light on while having the strange euphoric/real feeling, then sat for a few moments and contemplated what had happened.

As I said before, all these experiences happened ten or eleven years ago, during a time of great change, and I have not had any such experiences ever since. All three experiences where quick, intriguing, and actually quite enjoyable. The first one had a slightly sinister feeling to it when the dark figure appeared, but it was not extremely unpleasant, because the amazement of what happened out-weighed the slight negativity offered by this entity.

Peace,

Macre.

Wow that sux. The world now seems a lot more shitty. So its just me and the world, thats sad, i personaly think the world is pretty fucked up, its sad thats all i will probably experience.

I hope you weren't counting on OBE's being evidence for an afterlife?

They are most likely not.

But no one really knows what happens when you die so I wouldn't sweat it we all have to deal with our mortality at some point or another.

Therefore you should enjoy your life :d

Actually yes in a way, i was looking at the possibility of Reality OBE's as evidence of a soul which can exist without a physical body. Though it has not completely killed my thought of possibility, but after reading, i am 95% sure OBE's are just creative hallucination. Which alone is actually interesting, the mind is obviously mighty powerful in controlling how a person views the world, it can make you believe things that aren't real by giving you seemingly real experiences that can only be proved false through study, if its left up to the person they have no real way of determining weather they experienced reality or hallucination because they can basicaly feel the same.

Cheeto said:
Actually yes in a way, i was looking at the possibility of Reality OBE's as evidence of a soul which can exist without a physical body. Though it has not completely killed my thought of possibility, but after reading, i am 95% sure OBE's are just creative hallucination. Which alone is actually interesting, the mind is obviously mighty powerful in controlling how a person views the world, it can make you believe things that aren't real by giving you seemingly real experiences that can only be proved false through study, if its left up to the person they have no real way of determining weather they experienced reality or hallucination because they can basicaly feel the same.

creative hallucinations :D
yeah, and people are hallucinating straight. Even people who have never used drugs report having OBEs.
They almost never hallucinate other things. Just have OBE's.
Coincidence?

Coincidence?

Well its often people who have surgery so thats a factor. Also it can occur in ones sleep and everyone sleeps right? Its not a coincidence its just the things that cause it more people do. People who tend to have vivid hallucinations while awake are having other problems..

creative hallucinations :D
yeah, and people are hallucinating straight. Even people who have never used drugs report having OBEs.
Coincidence?
[/quote]

Its not really so uncommon for someone to hallucinate without taking drugs, many problems(weather quickly corrected or long lasting) can have side effects that make you hallucinate. I just doubted that a hallucination could seem as real as reality, as in hallucinating that your floating around in a room that really exists, without your body(OBE). But the experiments i just read confirm otherwise, apparently you can hallucinate so hard that your in a world built from your imagination, which can seem just as real as reality. But as they confirmed, what you see in OBE's they produced was imagination, not reality.

Burnt, i had a hard time understanding some of it. Did they attempt to compare brain activity from natural OBE's, or meditated OBE's to there induced OBE's, to see if it triggers the same activity in the brain?

Cheeto said:
Its not really so uncommon for someone to hallucinate without taking drugs, many problems(weather quickly corrected or long lasting) can have side effects that make you hallucinate. I just doubted that a hallucination could seem as real as reality, as in hallucinating that your floating around in a room that really exists, without your body(OBE). But the experiments i just read confirm otherwise, apparently you can hallucinate so hard that your in a world built from your imagination, which can seem just as real as reality. But as they confirmed, what you see in OBE's they produced was imagination, not reality.

Burnt, i had a hard time understanding some of it. Did they attempt to compare brain activity from natural OBE's, or meditated OBE's to there induced OBE's, to see if it triggers the same activity in the brain?

You had hallucinations on a clear state of mind?
I hardly doubt, that a healthy human who had enough sleep is able to hallucinate and is not aware of it.

Well, i've had an OBE in a clear state of mind, you could say. I wasn't on drugs, and i so called zoned out, spaced out so really that would put me in a different state of mind, just like anyone having an OBE is in another state of mind. I started off this topic explaining my OBE's.

I was a big believer in OBEs as reality, being i hadn't seen any research confirming otherwise, i never accepted the its a hallucination because of reasons stated above. But like i said, apparently you can have hallucinations that seem as real as reality, and even based off of reality, like hallucinating an OBE. You should check out the links burnt posted. As much as i want them to be real, i truly just want to know the truth, and the truth now points to no, they are not real, they are hallucinations.

Now i'm not completely saying no there not real, but unless i can see some proof from a trusted source confirming that someone can OBE and correctly identify objects they havent seen, then i must say, to me they now only have a 5% chance of being real. As before i read thoses experiments, i gave it a 50% chance of being real. I don't want to have faith in them being real, i want to KNOW weather they are real or not, and the evidence strongly points to not.

Also....apparently there are also different types of hallucinations or hallucinating states. Your tyring to think of it as i did earlier, as in the term hallucination can only be as you would hallucinate on drugs, seeing distortions, patterns and colors. Don't forget some poeple really do have problems and can here voices and see people that aren't there, and there not ghosts.

Also....apparently there are also different types of hallucinations or hallucinating states. Your tyring to think of it as i did earlier, as in the term hallucination can only be as you would hallucinate on drugs, seeing distortions, patterns and colors. Don't forget some poeple really do have problems and can here voices and see people that aren't there, and there not ghosts.

YES! Finally! Someone sees what I have been going on about for months!

Now i'm not completely saying no there not real, but unless i can see some proof from a trusted source confirming that someone can OBE and correctly identify objects they havent seen, then i must say, to me they now only have a 5% chance of being real. As before i read thoses experiments, i gave it a 50% chance of being real. I don't want to have faith in them being real, i want to KNOW weather they are real or not, and the evidence strongly points to not.

There are many types of hallucinations. Some have real aspects to them. Infact they all have some element of reality to them otherwise they wouldn't exist. But that does not make them real. When you hear voices in your head your brain is creating a perception of those voices. So that part is real. But its not really a separate entity speaking to you. That's why its called a hallucination. In this case an auditory hallucination.

There is no well documented study that provides evidence they are real. As I have said earlier some researchers claimed to have produced such evidence but they were later found to be fraudulent because of mirrors in the room etc.

Back
Top Bottom