Mr.Peabody
Rising Star
After seeing your responses, I realize just how much we agree! My main disagreements are few.
First, jamie, I agree with everything. I said, we shouldn't seek to travel into the stars without first learning to live sustainably, and in harmony with the Earth. We won't get there any other way. Also, I agree, we have traded one set of knowledge for another. We traded the practical knowledge of what we can eat, how to make things, how to build dwellings, etc for another set of knowledge. To me, that shift is a necessary progression in our expansion of consciousness. We have changed from using our brains solely for the sake of survival, to expanding to why. Why anything? Why is the biggest question, and it is important.
I also agree about our political system. There's no way I can see what we have now being a good system for a space faring people. I honestly wonder if humanity is capable of governing itself in a way conducive to this goal.
Doodazzle,
I see your point, about how I came off sounding inconvenienced. It's not the inconvenience that gets me, it's the work itself. I am drawn to the idea that we can create machines that would automate our lives. We would no longer need to work. I feel like our system is dependent on the idea that everyone must have a job, and work, and "make a living". Why? Why can't we make our own Eden? I think technology may be an answer. At the moment, yes you are correct, you cannot have factories build sustainably. There are fumes, and chemicals, and so on. But there are new technologies which may hold the key. One such example is 3D printing. Why do we need factories to build things when you can just run a program on a printer? When you're done with what ever it is, a machine could mechanically separate and pulverize the plastics and metals down to beads, which could then be used to 3D print again. This is by no means the savior, but merely one example.
I am drawn to a society where people are truly free. They are free from needing to work, make a living. Yes, many will become fat, lazy, and worthless. There are plenty of others who just by their very natures would be drawn to higher causes. They'd be drawn to science, civics, art. The motivations for such things, which I find interesting, are not out of necessity of making a living, or otherwise. My motivations are of pure curiosity. I think a society where people could be free to be lazy, or pursue their own interests, would be the freest system humans could have. Yes, this is incredibly idealistic, but I feel it is something worth pursuing.
So, my point I guess is that, technology may be the key. I know, many will disagree, I concede that there is no sure way to know this, but technology has brought us many great things. It has brought us many terrible things.
First, jamie, I agree with everything. I said, we shouldn't seek to travel into the stars without first learning to live sustainably, and in harmony with the Earth. We won't get there any other way. Also, I agree, we have traded one set of knowledge for another. We traded the practical knowledge of what we can eat, how to make things, how to build dwellings, etc for another set of knowledge. To me, that shift is a necessary progression in our expansion of consciousness. We have changed from using our brains solely for the sake of survival, to expanding to why. Why anything? Why is the biggest question, and it is important.
I also agree about our political system. There's no way I can see what we have now being a good system for a space faring people. I honestly wonder if humanity is capable of governing itself in a way conducive to this goal.
Doodazzle,
I see your point, about how I came off sounding inconvenienced. It's not the inconvenience that gets me, it's the work itself. I am drawn to the idea that we can create machines that would automate our lives. We would no longer need to work. I feel like our system is dependent on the idea that everyone must have a job, and work, and "make a living". Why? Why can't we make our own Eden? I think technology may be an answer. At the moment, yes you are correct, you cannot have factories build sustainably. There are fumes, and chemicals, and so on. But there are new technologies which may hold the key. One such example is 3D printing. Why do we need factories to build things when you can just run a program on a printer? When you're done with what ever it is, a machine could mechanically separate and pulverize the plastics and metals down to beads, which could then be used to 3D print again. This is by no means the savior, but merely one example.
I am drawn to a society where people are truly free. They are free from needing to work, make a living. Yes, many will become fat, lazy, and worthless. There are plenty of others who just by their very natures would be drawn to higher causes. They'd be drawn to science, civics, art. The motivations for such things, which I find interesting, are not out of necessity of making a living, or otherwise. My motivations are of pure curiosity. I think a society where people could be free to be lazy, or pursue their own interests, would be the freest system humans could have. Yes, this is incredibly idealistic, but I feel it is something worth pursuing.
So, my point I guess is that, technology may be the key. I know, many will disagree, I concede that there is no sure way to know this, but technology has brought us many great things. It has brought us many terrible things.
