• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Keeping the yellow out.

Migrated topic.

Heyoka

Rising Star
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I'm curious how one could avoid pulling the yellow oily crap from the basified rootbark during the extraction? A FOAF is using heptane and lots of the yellow stuff came across.

yoiu can try to do an acid base extraction next time and see if that helps but root bark shouldnt have too much oil. Collect and evaporate what you have and redissolve it in your solvent. this might help clump the oils at the bottom of the container so you can filter off the solvent for a second drying or freeze precip.

Do a defat? A FOAF did a defat on obtusifolia bark which is much fattier than MHRB, and his solvent came out clear/cloudy white and his crystals were pure white when freeze precipped.

[quote:d9fc42a420="angryanus"]yoiu can try to do an acid base extraction next time and see if that helps but root bark shouldnt have too much oil. Collect and evaporate what you have and redissolve it in your solvent. this might help clump the oils at the bottom of the container so you can filter off the solvent for a second drying or freeze precip.[/quote:d9fc42a420] Yeah, the Antarctican just did his first A/B in awhile and says he'd forgotten how much cleaner the alks were right out of the jar. A freeze precip produced dry crystals that looked like very slightly yellow table salt.

i agree, i just finished an a/b extraction and base extraction. the a/b yields cleaner but less product. the base extraction on the other hand yields a bit more (stilling working on it) but is filthy piss yellow. the strage thing is the yellow isn't oil i've seen before, it's like chalk dust when it precipitates out. its kinda frustrating to get it out ... has anyone used plastic bottles for their experiments? i'm starting to think there is a side reaction with the plastic and the basic solution.

Yep, Fuego, one and the same. AngryAnus, the main character of my story did use a plastic bottle (HDPE). He also used the straight to base tek using powdered rootbark. Given the price of MHRB , purity and convenience are worth a small sacrifice in yield but this yellow stuff really resists cleaning and might be a deal breaker.

[quote:2fec8aef67="Heyoka"] this yellow stuff really resists cleaning[/quote:2fec8aef67] Are you washing or recrystalizing? My friend has yet to get anything so crappy that three recrystalizations wouldn't take care of it. Also he's noticed that the longer the solvent sits with the basified solution, the more yellow there is to crystal. More pulls with shorter sit times might clean that up.

[quote:2c0a00e8c6="angryanus"]has anyone used plastic bottles for their experiments? i'm starting to think there is a side reaction with the plastic and the basic solution.[/quote:2c0a00e8c6] if one is putting basified h2o(if that is a correct term, otherwise, you know what i mean) in plastic bottles, i would imagine that would be bad. however, the solvent in a plastic bottle might not cause any problems, though, i'm not sure on either - just my gut feeling.

[quote:d3a55c6722="Noman"][quote:d3a55c6722="Heyoka"] this yellow stuff really resists cleaning[/quote:d3a55c6722] Are you washing or recrystalizing? My friend has yet to get anything so crappy that three recrystalizations wouldn't take care of it. Also he's noticed that the longer the solvent sits with the basified solution, the more yellow there is to crystal. More pulls with shorter sit times might clean that up.[/quote:d3a55c6722] Actually, I suppose I have to back up a bit. I think that the yellow gook came across in abundance on account of heat released during basification . Then since the good was heavily contaminated with the yellow I decided to reacidify using muriatic acid and water at ph 1-2 and then basified and reextracted. Well, the hcl/water didn't seem to want to dissolve the goods and it sorta floated around and the rest seemed to go downhill from there.

Back
Top Bottom