• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Mask(s) for DMT extraction

Self-container

I am in me
I have found two threads on this matter already, though the links provided were dead. As far as content go, they simply mention that one needs a P3 mask, which is a mask that has the highest safety rating. As such, a P3 mask can be many different things. Although a mask with a P3 rating does protect against fumes, certain masks given a P3 rating are still not recommended. More specifically, disposable P3 "dust" masks are not recommended for fume protection, even though they meet the minimum requirements (source). I put apostrophes around dust, because a P3 mask is by definition fit for more than dust, but it may be called a "dust mask" simply due to its primary use being for dust, and its similar appearance to dust-only masks.

The way I see it, there are two kinds of inhalation dangers one should protect oneself from during a DMT extraction. The first is the danger of inhaling the dust from ground up plant matter. I don't know how dusty this can get, so I don't know whether a P1 or P2 dust mask would be sufficient here.

The second is the scarier danger of inhaling the fumes of the acid/base, and the fumes of the non-polar solvent. For example, the fumes from lye can cause permanent lung damage; the fumes from the NPS can cause brain damage and/or be carcinogenic.

I don't know how high a ppm one can expect from these fumes during normal extraction conditions, so I don't quite know how great the risks are. But not knowing means there could be a risk, which means there is a risk. The question is then, what kind of gas mask do you Nexians recommend? I see candidates that do three things at once; they protect against dust, fumes and come with built-in eye protection. This mask is relatively cheap, and it may be longer-lasting than others, given that the filters are replaceable. Perhaps most gas masks have replaceable filters?

I have no idea when it comes to the topic of gas masks. What do you guys think?

I have found two threads on this matter already, though the links provided were dead. As far as content go, they simply mention that one needs a P3 mask, which is a mask that has the highest safety rating. As such, a P3 mask can be many different things. Although a mask with a P3 rating does protect against fumes, certain masks given a P3 rating are still not recommended. More specifically, disposable P3 "dust" masks are not recommended for fume protection, even though they meet the minimum requirements (source). I put apostrophes around dust, because a P3 mask is by definition fit for more than dust, but it may be called a "dust mask" simply due to its primary use being for dust, and its similar appearance to dust-only masks.

The way I see it, there are two kinds of inhalation dangers one should protect oneself from during a DMT extraction. The first is the danger of inhaling the dust from ground up plant matter. I don't know how dusty this can get, so I don't know whether a P1 or P2 dust mask would be sufficient here.

The second is the scarier danger of inhaling the fumes of the acid/base, and the fumes of the non-polar solvent. For example, the fumes from lye can cause permanent lung damage; the fumes from the NPS can cause brain damage and/or be carcinogenic.

I don't know how high a ppm one can expect from these fumes during normal extraction conditions, so I don't quite know how great the risks are. But not knowing means there could be a risk, which means there is a risk. The question is then, what kind of gas mask do you Nexians recommend? I see candidates that do three things at once; they protect against dust, fumes and come with built-in eye protection. This mask is relatively cheap, and it may be longer-lasting than others, given that the filters are replaceable. Perhaps most gas masks have replaceable filters?

I have no idea when it comes to the topic of gas masks. What do you guys think?
I have some prior experience with respirators, of the non-Covid variety, related to protection while painting/stripping paint and tubs, and while dealing with fungicides/pesticides. In those instances, as when chosing appropriate protection related to Naphtha and other noxious extraction tek related chemicals, I seek to follow the counsel of those more knowledgeable than myself regarding these matters. And this led me to seek out a respirator suitable for organic vapors, the same kind that painters (may) use, as well as eye protection, and gloves. After looking up the resistance of various glove types to Naphtha and Lye, I found nitrile gloves would be my best option, based on the materials employed in the tek I am using. Other tek may call of other gloves. There are many many organic vapors respirators available for purchase. I buy things on Amazon because I rely heavily of the reviews of prior purchases. An item with many purchasers, and good reviews, in the absence of indications that reviews are untrustworthy [fake reviews tend to be consistently lengthy, the reviewers have few reviews listed and/or have few/no low rating reviews], is probably a product that will provide good service. I recently purchased this respirator. This is intended as an example, and not an endorsement. While dust is not a major concern with 'my' tek, replaceable cotten filters,that are included with my respirator, address that concern. All of this said, some others may be like me, and for us, the best safety equipment on the planet won't provide protection if we don't put it on. I am going to focus on doing better in that regard.

As far as lye goes, it's the use of eye protection that's paramount. That's one case where 'safety squint' will not work, whereas, at a pinch, one can always hold one's breath at crucial moments. Always use eye protection when handling lye or (and) strong acids.

It's important to have a perspective on how dangerous (or not) a single exposure to, say, a small amount of heptane vapour might be. Even for a single evening you would be unlikely to suffer ill effects if it was pure n-heptane and you had no respirator - assuming no pre-existing health conditions, and that you're in a well-ventilated area and not huffing it straight from the bottle. The flammability risk is more what you should be aware of in terms of safety.

Rehearsing the motions of the extraction using inert 'dummy' materials might be worth a try if you want to get your extraction technique as quick and smooth as possible, if you really want to minimise your exposure to solvents. This isn't to downplay chemical hazards and sensible PPE usage, but being fearful of stuff that doesn't warrant it is counterproductive: filling up a car with gasoline is at least as dangerous.

Naptha isn't that bad. Xylene sucks.

I have wondered about using an old CPAP mask, or a gas mask. Most of the fumes are what comes up into your face while you are working if you have good ventilation. If you had a mask which went to a hose which you just ran behind you to belt level, I'm thinking that might cut quite a bit of the fumes you breathe.

I always use a dual cartridge respirator, chemical rated/safe gloves and full eye protection goggles. I also wear long sleeves, socks and shoes, keep a gallon of vinegar with a loosened cap handy, have a fire extinguisher in easy reach, maximize ventilation, work slow, work sober, and extract in small batches. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom