• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Ronsonal Lighter Fluid is useless, FULL LAB

Migrated topic.

Impeccable

Rising Star
what follows are the thoughts of my imaginary friend

Purpose
So I've concluded, after 4 failed attempts, that Ronsonal Lighter Fluid absorbs less dmt per volume.

Materials
50g MHRB
12 tablespoons of lye (more than enough)
500mL water
Ronsonal Lighter Fluid
Mason jars

Methods
Simple STB like Noman/Lazyman

Data
1st attempt, 3 pulls
mixed - not too well
30mL, 30mL, 50mL, respectiviley
Evapped - some little green dust that turned into goo, so got nothing

2nd, 3rd, 4rth attempt, 3 pulls
mixed - very well
each pull between 20 - 40 mL (was going to do a freeze precip)
Freeze precip 12 hrs in max freeze settings, each pull had it's own jug, poured out naptha - nothing, not even dust

Discussion
All 4 attempts failed cause no spice was ever extracted from the lye/mhrb, the one that got closest was the first one (green gooy dust), in which the most lighter fluid PER PULL was used.

.4 ml / gram of bark is a fair amount (source Noman's tek - DMT-Nexus Wiki), that means 20mL would've been fine but it seems with Ronsonal Lighter Fluid, you have to use much more

Conclusion
Ronsonal Lighter Fluid is not a very desirable non polar solvent since it does not absorb a lot of spice

FAQ
I did an extraction w/ Ronsonal and got a nice yield
- You were probably using 50ml or more / pull, with 50g MHRB of course
You had crap bark
- the seller was from ebay but had 33 + reviews, some of which even said the product was good, plus even a bad product would at least yield something
You had pH too low or you don't know how to mix
- the pH was plenty the solution was smooth and it was mixed well (hot conditions, mixed hard and for long time)

I have used Ronsonal Lighter Fluid in over 40 extractions using basically the same tek as you.
I always achieve 1% to 1.5%

I never bother with evaporating my naphtha a bit before freeze precip.

The only time I got nothing from an extraction was my first time. I heated the lighter fluid in its own container (the yellow plastic bottle). I must have contaminated the solvent from some chemical in the bottle's container that came out while being heated.

I have read all your threads from the Nexus Nursery and now here about your problem.
All I can think is is it must be your bark is crap. Which was already mentioned.

The only unproven factor in your equipment is your bark.

Find a new source, and if it still doesn't work... Hmmm...

SWIM has used ronsonol lighter fluid (as well as other brands of lighter fluid) in the past with great success. The good thing with lighter fluids is that they have pretty low boiling point and they evaporate much faster. They are the equivalents of V&P Naphtha used in the US, id est they are composed mainly of light aliphatic hydrocarbons, C5-C8 with a boiling point at around 60-80 celsius.

The "naphthas" one can get in the UK have much heavier hydrocarbon composition, usually C9-C15 with a boiling point of ~150. It takes them ages to evaporate.

Impeccable, the Ronsonol is not your problem. You either do something terribly terribly wrong (hard to believe) or your bark is bunk. It happens sometimes. SWIM's first extraction were not that great and he still suspects bad bark quality, let along he was using the QT tek back in the days.

You should check the Suppliers section for reports of consistently good MHRB vendors. No matter how good rating an ebay seller has, it is a rule-of-thumb that they are more prone to be shady.

Just do not get disappointed; shit happens sometimes!😉

I also rate ronsonal. I haven't done many extractions but i have always got a 1%-2% yield from a STB. In some ways the stuff evaps too quick as you have to remember to keep an eye on it...it goes quick!

well someone else mentioned the water, I went with 10ml/gram mhrb the recommended amount is 15 thus a deviation by 34% (which I think is significant no?)

Plus I didn't use a lot of naphta and I only had 50g MHRB, combine all this together and I think it makes some sense

for my next attempt (FIFTH TIME! I would've given up by now but I still have 200g MHRB from this source, I can't just through that away) I'm going to get VM & P naphta, it's cheaper, so I'll use much more, and do three different pulls, 25ml 50ml 100ml and see what that gets me.

Plus I'll make the water 15ml / gram mhrb

I also agree that Ronsonol and Perma Fluid (the UK stuff, I think I remember the US Ronsonol being different in chemical makeup) is excellent for a STB, you should use 50ml pulls for 50g MHRB/ 50g Lye/ 750ml water - Swim's never had any problems with these quantities.

As for shit bark on eBay - swim's FOAF sells on ebay and he gets his stuff from Pedro, which is usually of high quality.

well it looks like in Canada I won't be able to find anything BUT Ronsonal Lighter Fluid...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'll have to purchase 2 bottles just for 1 50g extraction :evil:

so basically for my 5th try, I'll just add more water and more of the same naphta

so this time I'm going to try a single pull first with about 50ml lighter fluid

I've taken boiling water and poured it on the mason jar which has the mhrb/naoh/naphta

shaked for 1-2min every 10 min and put new boiling water every 10 min

after that I'm going to leave it in for an hour

then I'll do a quick evap, using a fan to see if I get anything, I'll be happy even w/ n-oxide

It's not scientific to claim it's the Ronsonol when you haven't tried with other solvents on the same bark, so I don't get why you've put 'FULL LAB' which makes your method sound like it's meant to be scientific. I'm not a scientist but even I can see that! Do you still have your magic potion? Why don't you pull from it with another solvent? If still nothing comes out, then it's not the Ronsonol. I can't believe that's all you can get hold of- Swan is on Ebay, and (100% naphtha) white spirit from the hardware store or internet works too.

ohayoco said:
It's not scientific to claim it's the Ronsonol when you haven't tried with other solvents on the same bark, so I don't get why you've put 'FULL LAB' which makes your method sound like it's meant to be scientific. I'm not a scientist but even I can see that! Do you still have your magic potion? Why don't you pull from it with another solvent? If still nothing comes out, then it's not the Ronsonol. I can't believe that's all you can get hold of- Swan is on Ebay, and (100% naphtha) white spirit from the hardware store or internet works too.

lol it was a full lab though, i meant the format

Impeccable said:
well someone else mentioned the water, I went with 10ml/gram mhrb the recommended amount is 15 thus a deviation by 34% (which I think is significant no?)

Plus I didn't use a lot of naphta and I only had 50g MHRB, combine all this together and I think it makes some sense

for my next attempt (FIFTH TIME! I would've given up by now but I still have 200g MHRB from this source, I can't just through that away) I'm going to get VM & P naphta, it's cheaper, so I'll use much more, and do three different pulls, 25ml 50ml 100ml and see what that gets me.

1.mix 50 Grams lye with 750ml of water.mix thoroughly.
2.add 50 grams powdered mimosa mix thoroughly(shake the fuck out of it)let sit for at least an hour.
3.add 100 ml of naptha(in your case 50ml of ronsonol) shake the hell out of it for at least an hour
4.separate naptha and freeze.

If you follow this simple method it will work.You should combine all your ronsonol to get 100 ml. Also you wont have to evap any if you freeze precip your solvent in a flat 9×13 flat pyrex dish. Dont deviate from those numbers.I know that this is irritating but stick with this. When it works you will be satisfied.

I always have heard that ronsonal evaps dirty. Beacuse of that I've never bothered with it, plus it's a bit expensive compared to hardware store naphtha.

Has someone evaped a decent amount of it (500mL or so) to see what kind of residue it leaves behind?

Big Inhale said:
Impeccable said:

1.mix 50 Grams lye with 750ml of water.mix thoroughly.
2.add 50 grams powdered mimosa mix thoroughly(shake the fuck out of it)let sit for at least an hour.
3.add 100 ml of naptha(in your case 50ml of ronsonol) shake the hell out of it for at least an hour
4.separate naptha and freeze.

If you follow this simple method it will work.You should combine all your ronsonol to get 100 ml. Also you wont have to evap any if you freeze precip your solvent in a flat 9×13 flat pyrex dish. Dont deviate from those numbers.I know that this is irritating but stick with this. When it works you will be satisfied.

So beautifully simple, so you do 2 pulls then? How do you mix it and how long for each mix? Don't tell me you shake none stop for an hour.

acolon_5 said:
I always have heard that ronsonal evaps dirty. Beacuse of that I've never bothered with it, plus it's a bit expensive compared to hardware store naphtha.

Has someone evaped a decent amount of it (500mL or so) to see what kind of residue it leaves behind?
it is dirty very yellow spice. Needs at least one recrystalisation needed in different solvent.

Back
Top Bottom