• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Research The nexian phalaris breeding programme

Research done by (or for) the DMT-Nexus community

Grasshoppers

Established member
Preamble
Grasses, enduring through the ages, have flourished upon the earth, unravelling the fabric of reality to reveal the underlying essence of the cosmos. With each seed sown and every plant nurtured, nature's mysteries unfold before us, guiding us toward a promising tomorrow.

Within this discourse, we shall explore our methodology for selecting and cultivating Phalaris, offering our insights and expertise to the psychedelic community. As our plants take root and flourish, we hope they will emerge as beacons of progress, illuminating the path forward by dispelling the shadows of ignorance and ushering in enlightenment.

Project Methodology Overview
The project methodology encompasses the systematic selection, controlled breeding, and cultivation of Phalaris specimens sourced globally. This selection process is facilitated through Thin-Layer Chromatography (TLC) and bioassay techniques for the identification of desirable traits.
Selected specimens undergo controlled breeding procedures, aimed at consolidating and enhancing the desired genetic characteristics. Through deliberate mating, the genetic pool is manipulated to produce offspring with optimal traits.
Subsequently, the cultivated offspring undergoes rigorous selection process to further refine desirable attributes, ensuring the propagation of superior genetic material.
In light of our commitment to inclusivity and accessibility, it is imperative that our research methods remain practical and cost-effective. By utilizing easy-to-use and readily available techniques, we ensure that individuals from diverse backgrounds can actively participate in the project.
A key aspect in this programme involves the creation and dissemination of new phalaris breeds consolidated as cultivars to the psychedelic community. By sharing these plants, we aim to facilitate collaborative research endeavors and foster innovation.

Current Project Status
The project has progressed to a stage where a multinational selection of promising Phalaris aquatica strains has been identified through TLC, indicating their potential as candidates for the breeding program. Clones of these selected plants have been taken for breeding purposes. Some of these clones have already been dispatched to participating breeders, where they are currently undergoing the recovery process. Meanwhile, the cloning process for the remaining plants is still underway. The initial breeding cycle is expected to commence during the upcoming summer season.

Key Findings
  • In Phalaris aquatica, a diverse array of alkaloid profiles has been observed. 5-MeO-DMT proved prevalent amongst the tested specimens at varying concentration (TLC semiquantitative analysis), whereas N,N-DMT was only detected in few selected strains with a significant portion of the tested samples exhibiting minimal or no detectable DMT.
  • Notably, 5-MeO-DMT appears to be particularly sensitive to high concentrations of NaOH (50% concentration was tested) during the extraction process.

Contribute
We welcome individuals who are willing and capable of supporting the breeding project. At its current stage, you can contribute if:
  • You have expertise in TLC or LC-MS; we have numerous plants awaiting testing.
  • You possess knowledge of pollen collection and application procedures with Phalaris species.
  • You can provide Phalaris strains or clones that have been confirmed to exhibit psychedelic properties through bioassays.
  • You are capable of investigating open research topics.

Open Research Topics
  • Exploration of alternative extraction Solvents: Investigating wide spectrum solvents suitable for extracting alkaloids from Phalaris beyond Chloroform and Dichloromethane in persuit of cleaner extracts for higher TLC resolution and easier handling.
  • Refinement of Extraction Processes: Determining the optimal method for cleaning extracts. SPE (solid phase extraction) cartridges are an example but price may be counterproductive.
  • Enhancing TLC separation of closely related tryptamines: Researching eluents to improve the distinction of N,N-DMT from 5MeO-DMT.
  • Exploration of environmental factors, including daytime and seasonal variations, on alkaloid concentration and composition.
  • The effects of SiO2 supplementation on the concentration of N,N-DMT and 5-MeO-DMT and other alkaloids in high yielding clones.
  • To catch the changes in alkaloid levels throughout the lifecycle of Phalaris, carry out periodic testing on carefully chosen mature plants over a period of at least one year. This extensive duration will allow us to capture the nuanced fluctuations in alkaloid levels within the selected plants, thereby enhancing our understanding of their dynamic nature.

Supplementary Material

Attachments

• Practical Approach to TLC Analysis of Phalaris Alkaloids.pdf
    300.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Now this sounds like a project whose results will be of high interest to most people in the Nexus! Let me extend a warm and heartfelt welcome, and thank you in advance for all your efforts. You seem to have a very methodical and analytical approach, which is very well received around here.

Just out of curiosity, have you taken a look at our existing Phalaris Analysis Thread? Perhaps you can find some interesting findings and perspectives therein.

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing more!

Preamble
Grasses, enduring through the ages, have flourished upon the earth, unravelling the fabric of reality to reveal the underlying essence of the cosmos. With each seed sown and every plant nurtured, nature's mysteries unfold before us, guiding us toward a promising tomorrow.

Within this discourse, we shall explore our methodology for selecting and cultivating Phalaris, offering our insights and expertise to the psychedelic community. As our plants take root and flourish, we hope they will emerge as beacons of progress, illuminating the path forward by dispelling the shadows of ignorance and ushering in enlightenment.

The project methodology encompasses the systematic selection, controlled breeding, and cultivation of Phalaris specimens sourced globally. This selection process is facilitated through Thin-Layer Chromatography (TLC) and bioassay techniques for the identification of desirable traits.

Selected specimens undergo controlled breeding procedures, aimed at consolidating and enhancing the desired genetic characteristics. Through deliberate mating, the genetic pool is manipulated to produce offspring with optimal traits.

Subsequently, the cultivated offspring undergoes rigorous selection process to further refine desirable attributes, ensuring the propagation of superior genetic material.

In light of our commitment to inclusivity and accessibility, it is imperative that our research methods remain practical and cost-effective. By utilizing easy-to-use and readily available techniques, we ensure that individuals from diverse backgrounds can actively participate in the project.

A key aspect in this programme involves the creation and dissemination of new phalaris breeds consolidated as cultivars to the psychedelic community. By sharing these plants, we aim to facilitate collaborative research endeavors and foster innovation.

Current Project Status
The project has progressed to the stage where a multinational selection of promising phalaris aquatica strains have been selected based on TLC as promising candidates for the breeding programme . The initial breeding cycle is expected to commence during the forthcoming summer season, marking a significant milestone in the project's progress.

Key Findings
In Phalaris aquatica, a diverse array of alkaloid profiles has been observed. 5-MeO-DMT proved prevalent amongst the tested specimens at varying concentration (TLC semiquantitative analysis), whereas N,N-DMT was only detected in few selected strains with a significant portion of the tested samples exhibiting minimal or no detectable DMT. Notably, 5-MeO-DMT appears to be particularly sensitive to high concentrations of NaOH (50% concentration was tested) during the extraction process.

Open Research Topics
-Exploration of alternative extraction Solvents: Investigating wide spectrum solvents suitable for extracting alkaloids from Phalaris beyond Chloroform and Dichloromethane in persuit of cleaner extracts for higher TLC resolution and easier handling.
-Refinement of Extraction Processes: Determining the optimal method for cleaning extracts. SPE (solid phase extraction) cartridges are an example but price may be counterproductive.
-Enhancing TLC separation of closely related tryptamines: Researching eluents to improve the distinction of N,N-DMT from 5MeO-DMT.

Supplementary Material
-Practical Approach to TLC Analysis of Phalaris Alkaloids
-Phalaris Identification guide: Coming soon
-A bioassay guide: Coming soon
-TLC Results: Coming soon

Fabulous bit of work, I've had a look at the practical TLC pdf, which is a nice little guide - I couldn't help noticing a minor typo on page one, where it ought to read "borosilicate beaker".

I also question whether DCM would ever be buoyant on 5% ammonia, or have I missed something? It looks to me more like it's the surface tension of the aq ammonia, along with the shape of the watchglass and the shallow layers, that holds the DCM in shape and prevents the deposition that way. Regardless of the intricate details, it's still a nifty technique.

Looking forward to the forthcoming additions to this thread, and welcome to the Nexus (although there's perhaps something about your style that seems vaguely familiar, hmmm… ;) )

Looking forward to the forthcoming additions to this thread, and welcome to the Nexus (although there's perhaps something about your style that seems vaguely familiar, hmmm… ;) )
I'm curious who do you have in mind 🙃. Ok I suspected that you will take notice of something like that hahaha let me spare you the guessing; grasshoppers as the name suggests (in plural) are a group of passionate phalaris enthusiasts and friends of mine from Germany. Together we collaborate for this breeding programme. Each of us plays a key role and ads something to the project. We've been working on this underground outside of the Nexus but we think it's about time to bring this out to the light to learn and share more on these promising species.

Grasshoppers welcome on board guys and thank your for your contribution. It's been an exciting journey with you and it's just about to get even more exciting!

Hey this is really great stuff Grasshoppers. Thanks for everything so far! Really looking forward to seeing your progress particularly with selective breeding.

Something I am curious about.. phalaris is known to be quite time sensitive in terms of both harvest and extraction.. do you have a theory on why/how this is the case? I understand that alkaloid levels fluctuate depending on time of day/year/differing weather etc but am curious what processes are causing the breakdown of alkaloids so quickly after harvest? have you noticed any indication that selectively breeding may affect the stability of the alkaloids in the harvested plant material? Apologies if I have missed this elsewhere..

Something I am curious about.. phalaris is known to be quite time sensitive in terms of both harvest and extraction.. do you have a theory on why/how this is the case? I understand that alkaloid levels fluctuate depending on time of day/year/differing weather etc but am curious what processes are causing the breakdown of alkaloids so quickly after harvest? Apologies if I have missed this elsewhere..
Personally I hardly think the fluctuation model is as severe as we might think. At least this wasn't the case in my own experiments with aquatica. I extracted it fresh and dry, at different times of the day and year with hardly any difference in yield..except for two things; plant size (the larger the less yield) and summer dormancy (highest yield was in first growth after break of dormancy). No matter the conditions and variables are though I never performed an extraction without getting an extract amount that is satisfactory for at least personal use from 3m square plot.

I previously talked about seasonal variation in alkaloid profile but later discovered that the perceived profile variability was merely altered smoked experience effects due to varying dosage along with ratio of tabacco to extract in a joint (tabacco alters the experience whether due to nicotine or from harmane content. Black tea as inert base didn't alter the experience in comparison) this has become even clearer to me once I started vaping extracts Instead of smoking. 5-meo-dmt which am sure is the main alkaloid in my aquatica is known to bring very different effects depending on dose. It can feel completely like a different substance altogether. So yeah I will have to bring this up again in other threads and correct that info.

In a few days grasshoppers should have dry leaf samples from my cultivar for TLC along with seeds and pollen for the breeding project.

Last edited:
@Nydex
Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

@Transform
Thank you very much for your support. The TLC guide has been corrected and the aspect of the floating DCM was clarified.

@acacian
Alkaloid concentration variation based on the time of day has not been observed; however, it's essential to acknowledge that we haven't systematically investigated this aspect. Therefore, it has been included in our list of unanswered queries.
We compared microwave-dried samples to air-dried samples from the same active Phalaris arundinacea (var. picta) clone. However, no discernible differences were observed using TLC.

Please note, that the project status has been updated.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Today, we conducted tests on Phalaris canariensis. The spot on the left of both plates serves as N,N-DMT reference. As you can see, there is a notable amount of variation present.

24.04.13.jpg

One of these variations appears particularly promising as a source of 5-MeO-DMT. Since it is a commercially available brand, it is scheduled to undergo a bioassay for verification. Should the bioassay yield positive results, we will provide a link for you to purchase it, should you be interested.

Additionally, it is worth mentioning that the samples are sourced from different breeders, meaning the results might not be perfectly comparable due to potential variations in growing conditions. The exact impact of this variation is not yet completely understood. The promising specimen was cultivated indoors under a 150-watt HQI light source until it reached a height of 10-15cm. At this stage of growth, the tested sample was extracted for analysis.

Last edited:
In the research conducted by Hall et al. (2021), they report a significant impact of silicon application on alkaloid concentrations in Phalaris aquatica leaves. Most notable of which was the eight-fold increase in 5-MeO-tryptamine levels.

Inspired by this finding, we undertook a similar experiment utilizing a Phalaris arundinacea clone known to exhibit low to medium levels of 5-MeO-DMT. We compared two clones grown under identical conditions, one of which received supplementation with colloidal SiO2 one month prior to sample collection.

As depicted in the TLC-Plate analysis, the supplementation of SiO2 appears to elevate the concentration of 5-MeO-DMT and other alkaloids, although exact quantification remains impossible with TLC.

2024.04.16 - Copy.jpg

This is by no means enough evidence to validate Hall et al. (2021) research as we still need to conduct more rounds of tests for longer silicon treatment duration and with aquatica instead of arudinacea since the former was used in the paper. Nevertheless it's still a very promising little experiment that grants further testing.

These observation also emphasizes the necessity of controlled substrate conditions to ensure comparability in selective breeding efforts. Conducting further tests with a broader range of specimens would be advisable to solidify these findings.

Last edited:
In the research conducted by Hall et al. (2021), they report a significant impact of silicon application on alkaloid concentrations in Phalaris aquatica leaves. Most notable of which was the eight-fold increase in 5-MeO-tryptamine levels.

Inspired by this finding, we undertook a similar experiment utilizing a Phalaris arundinacea clone known to exhibit low to medium levels of 5-MeO-DMT. We compared two clones grown under identical conditions, one of which received supplementation with colloidal SiO2 one month prior to sample collection.

As depicted in the TLC-Plate analysis, the supplementation of SiO2 appears to elevate the concentration of 5-MeO-DMT and other alkaloids, although exact quantification remains impossible with TLC.

View attachment 97724

This is by no means enough evidence to validate Hall et al. (2021) research as we still need to conduct more rounds of tests for longer silicon treatment duration and with aquatica instead of arudinacea since the former was used in the paper. Nevertheless it's still a very promising little experiment that grants further testing.

These observation also emphasizes the necessity of controlled substrate conditions to ensure comparability in selective breeding efforts. Conducting further tests with a broader range of specimens would be advisable to solidify these findings.
Interesting results!

Horsetail (equisetum) tea can be used as a natural source of silica (albeit not in a quantified way without having it analysed). This also makes me wonder what the effect of diatomaceous earth (another natural form of silica) might be - not to mention what the mechanism of increasing alkaloid production might be.

I've had a couple of ideas in this respect. Firstly, in organic/permaculture/biodynamic gardening, silica in the form of horsetail tea is said to "bring sunlight into the plant". Perhaps increased silice levels improves the light permeability of the plant cells and thisenhances metabolic activity. Another possibility to consider might be that topical silica leads to microabrasions and the plant responds by increasing alkaloid output as though it were under attack from a herbivore.

Has anyone in your team thought about this and perhaps come up with some further ideas?

Indeed, the intriguing influence of silica on alkaloids has been previously discussed on the Nexus.

Horsetail, containing an average of 5% silicon in dry weight (Bye et al., 2009), exhibits limited water solubility for this element. Silicon-accumulating species are capable of absorbing silicon solely in the form of silicic acid. Upon root absorption, silicic acid is translocated to target plant tissue, where it undergoes polymerization into amorphous silicon dioxide, characterized by its very low solubility. Consequently, horsetail can be deemed a suboptimal source of silicon.

The observed effects are likely unrelated to amorphous silica microlensing, as it acts to protect grasses from UV-radiation (Schaller et al., 2013). Instead, the impact appears to be direct, exerting influence on plant phytohormones such as jasmonic acid, a key regulator of plant stress responses. This alteration in phytohormone dynamics affects the plant's physiological reactions to stressors such as drought, salinity, and parasitic infestations, as well as infectious diseases like mildew (Khan et al. 2023). Notably, this effect appears more pronounced in species that actively accumulate silicon.

For further experiments, the preferred options for root absorption are either potassium silicate buffered at pH 5 or choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid. It's crucial to employ a very dilute solution of silicic acid to prevent polymerization due to saturation. However, nano SiO2 remains a viable option as it attains equilibrium between SiO2 polymer and silicic acid upon dissolution, akin to potassium silicate. Nano SiO2 offers the added advantage of not altering soil pH like potassium silicate and is generally less demanding in application.

We experimentally tested silica supplementation on a low to medium yielding plant. However, since our focus lies on high yielding plants, further experimentation is warranted with these specific strains. Increasing the sample size is also imperative to derive conclusive findings. Presently, this task is hindered by the fact that our high yielding plants are undergoing cloning and are being distributed for the upcoming breeding cycle, which constitutes our primary objective at this juncture.

Preamble

Current Project Status
The project has advanced to a stage where a multinational selection of promising Phalaris aquatica strains has been identified through TLC, serving as promising candidates for the breeding program. Clones of these selected plants have been taken for breeding purposes and are currently being sent to participating breeders for recovery and subsequent breeding efforts. The initial breeding cycle is anticipated to commence during the forthcoming summer season.

Key Findings
In Phalaris aquatica, a diverse array of alkaloid profiles has been observed. 5-MeO-DMT proved prevalent amongst the tested specimens at varying concentration (TLC semiquantitative analysis), whereas N,N-DMT was only detected in few selected strains with a significant portion of the tested samples exhibiting minimal or no detectable DMT. Notably, 5-MeO-DMT appears to be particularly sensitive to high concentrations of NaOH (50% concentration was tested) during the extraction process.

Open Research Topics
-Exploration of alternative extraction Solvents: Investigating wide spectrum solvents suitable for extracting alkaloids from Phalaris beyond Chloroform and Dichloromethane in persuit of cleaner extracts for higher TLC resolution and easier handling.
-Refinement of Extraction Processes: Determining the optimal method for cleaning extracts. SPE (solid phase extraction) cartridges are an example but price may be counterproductive.
-Enhancing TLC separation of closely related tryptamines: Researching eluents to improve the distinction of N,N-DMT from 5MeO-DMT.
-Exploration of environmental factors, including daytime and seasonal variations, on alkaloid concentration and composition.

Supplementary Material
-Practical Approach to TLC Analysis of Phalaris Alkaloids
-Phalaris Identification guide: Coming soon
-A bioassay guide: Coming soon
-TLC Results: Coming soon
Invasive species and neurotoxicity concerns

I would request that researchers and growers be aware that Phalaris aquatica, which in California is called Harding Grass, is an invasive species in California (and could become one elsewhere), and to refrain from any cultivation that will contribute to the further spread of the species outside of its native range, .
See Fun Fact Friday–“10 Terrible Weeds: #10 Harding Grass”
I assume that the researchers are aware that Phalaris aquatica contains neurotoxic alkaloids that are known to "cause both a sudden death syndrome and a staggers syndrome" in animals that grave upon it. The cardiac sudden death can occur 24 hours after first consumption of Phalaris aquatica.
I infer from this that great caution is called for when extracting and consuming alkaloids derived from this species.

Thank you, kindly, for your consideration of these issues.
Pinko

Interesting project.
I would like to contribute if I can.
I actually try to multiplicate a phalaris strain that I bioassayed in 2007.
Later HPLC analysis, done by a friend, revealed a relatively pure 5-MeO profile.
And this goes well with my experience, even if then I haven't known exactly the effects of 5-Meo from other sources or synthetic.
Actually I only work on root cuttings, phalaris is easy to multiplicate this way. It would be interesting too to try seeding this variety.

I would request that researchers and growers be aware that Phalaris aquatica, which in California is called Harding Grass, is an invasive species in California (and could become one elsewhere), and to refrain from any cultivation that will contribute to the further spread of the species outside of its native range, .
See Fun Fact Friday–“10 Terrible Weeds: #10 Harding Grass”
That's accurate. Several members on the forum have also voiced this concern, as seen in this post. It's beneficial to reiterate this to our readers, so thank you for the reminder.
We firmly believe that the benefits of such plants to the community far outweigh the potential risks involved, when viewed within the broader context. Especially recently with the tightening measures on importing MHRB. We simply cannot afford to let others dictate what we should and shouldn't do with our own consciousness. We can't just wait for that till it happens. We have to be prepared in advance.

I assume that the researchers are aware that Phalaris aquatica contains neurotoxic alkaloids that are known to "cause both a sudden death syndrome and a staggers syndrome" in animals that grave upon it. The cardiac sudden death can occur 24 hours after first consumption of Phalaris aquatica.
The notion that phalaris is toxic to some animals like sheep, cattle and kangaroos and may very well be toxic to humans, has sadly and unnecessarily plagued this research for far too long. It's about time we confront these fears through analysis and cautious bioassays. Recently the Nexus has achieved quite some progress in this regard. A clearer picture is beginning to emerge.

We are determined in to further consolidate what our colleagues have previously established in this forum by actively sharing clones and seeds amongst other researchers for selective breeding. Soon enough we should expect some high yielding clean profile strains to be available with proven safety profile through bioassays.

We owe this to the future generations to come.

donfoolio said:
I would like to contribute if I can.
Great to hear, you have been contacted by PM.

Last edited:
In the subsequent images, we showcase preliminary findings from our recent investigation into distinguishing between N,N-DMT and 5-MeO-DMT utilizing TLC.

Effective discrimination is facilitated through the alteration of the mobile phase composition with ammonium acetate, coupled with advancements in image sensor technology and digital post-processing techniques.

The accompanying photographs depict TLC plates captured under both wet and dry conditions, illuminated with 275nm UV light. Post-processing was conducted using Paint.NET software.

nexus1.png

nexus2.png

Should this methodology demonstrate its efficacy, we intend to revise our TLC protocols accordingly.

Exciting developments have emerged as we report the discovery of an exceptionally potent and pure N,N-DMT variant within the Phalaris species. Our analysis today focused on specimens from a strain already recognized for its potency in N,N-DMT production.

Employing a novel eluent system currently undergoing scrutiny, we subjected 5mg samples of these plants to testing. However, the remarkable potency of these specimens resulted in plate overload, necessitating subsequent trials with reduced sample sizes.

26.04.2024_pp.jpg

Of particular note is specimen U15, exhibiting characteristics warranting extensive further investigation.

Last edited:
Today, we conducted further experimentation on the same plant specimens, employing sample sizes as diminutive as 1mg. Remarkably, these trials yielded results consistent with our previous findings, yet with heightened clarity and certainty.

27.04.2024_pp.png

U15 emerges as a frontrunner in our pursuit to cultivate a particularly potent N,N-DMT containing aquatica strain.

Our Thin-Layer Chromatography (TLC) protocols initially advocated for a sample size of 5mg. While this sufficed for specimens with lower yields, our recent observations suggest that 1mg is a more judicious quantity for those with higher yields. Accordingly, revisions to the TLC instructions are imminent.

While the identified specimens remain unreleased, we anticipate disseminating clones or samples to capable researchers interested in conducting LC-MS analyses for further elucidation.

N,N-DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, and 5-HO-DMT present a challenge in differentiation via TLC due to their minimal variation in retention factor (RF) values when exposed to a Methanol-NH4OH eluent system. Today's discussion is dedicated to elucidating this issue and enhancing the interpretation of TLC results.

Displayed below are the substances both individually and in combination on the TLC plate. Digital post-processing techniques have been employed to facilitate discrimination.

2024.04.30._2pp.png
Following the experiment, all three substances can be distinguished when occurring alone. However, in combination, 5-MeO-DMT is obscured by 5-HO-DMT.

The observed color characteristics are as follows:

On a wet plate:
  • N,N-DMT: blue
  • 5-MeO-DMT: black
  • 5-HO-DMT: red
On a dry plate:
  • N,N-DMT: black
  • 5-MeO-DMT: red
  • 5-HO-DMT: red
While the exact parameters for digital post-processing are still under investigation, detailed information will be provided upon completion of further research on this topic.

Last edited:
We stumbled upon another intriguing observation: 5-HO-DMT turned purple on the TLC plate a day after drying.

Displayed below is the TLC plate featuring N,N-DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and 5-HO-DMT, providing yesterdays results alongside the newfound purple hue visible under white light. This unexpected occurrence prompts a necessary adjustment to our methodology for TLC plate assessment.

2024.04.30._2pp.png

Two additional wild specimen of eastern Phalaris aquatica reached maturity for testing and underwent TLC analysis. The results are illustrated below.

2024.05.01_pp - nexus.png

Regrettably, neither of the wild accessions proves suitable for breeding purposes.

Back
Top Bottom