• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Trichocereus ID

Migrated topic.
Hi experts !

Need you're opinion on an botanical identification question ...

This photo has been taken in southern Colombia.
I have not much skill in cacti botanics, but from what I have red I would say the man is belonging to the Echinopsis (Trichocereus) genus. I that correct ?
Now I have no idea of the exact species ... I have seen a lot of pachanoi/peruvianus incertitude on the various forums ...

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

2u9hi5k.jpg

2k0y88.jpg

1zl6vmf.jpg

32zqmur.jpg

Endophytic, wow, that is a huge trunk! Knarly but beautiful. They look like fat healty pachanoi to me! And it looks like samples have been taken over the years. Any idea how old it is?

damon said:
Endophytic, wow, that is a huge trunk! Knarly but beautiful. They look like fat healty pachanoi to me! And it looks like samples have been taken over the years. Any idea how old it is?

So you'd say E. pachanoi ? Great. Anyway from what I've seen there is few chance to get confused with a possible toxic species ... Or is there ? I mean in the way one could get confused between mushrooms species ?

Yep this trunk seems quite old ... but this is an adolescent regarding some OLD GIANTS I have seen in the neigbourghood :p

Next step is to get out at night with my machete ...

Thank you.

dg said:
shame on you!
that is super bad karma. dont do it.
ask for permission, or look elsewhere

:? Yup ... you might be right ... Will ask for cuttings !
Anyway these are legions overhere :p

if i caught you taking a limb off my cactus without asking id probably take a limb off you!

really, but not really.

ask first!

sorry if that was i bit harsh, all living things deserve respect both the cacti and it owner

looks like a desirable plant, all the old cut marks are good evidence too

So, I had a stop by my local nursery and I found some beautiful cactus that I thought I recognized from pictures online. There was no ID available in the store but I took them home and I think I've found some goodies. However I'm not sure I've identified them correctly, maybe some of you experts can help me out?

2rwq0io.jpg

Trichocereus Peruvianus?

20hts74.jpg

Trichocereus Peruvianus?

347i6om.jpg

Trichocereus Bridgesii?

207984m.jpg

At first I thought it might be some kind of Trichocereus, but I'm starting to believe it's a Pilosocereus?

Any help to ID these would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

dg said:
the first two are trichocereus, probably of peruvian genetics
the second two are not. not sure of their id

Ok, big thanks dg!

But why do you think the third isn't a Trichocereus? I wouldn't be able to see a difference between no. 2 and no. 3 if it wasn't for the spines.

Back
Top Bottom