• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Trichocereus ID

Migrated topic.
I was given this cactus as a gift years ago, but I'm not sure what it is? Any help would be appreicated.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 1
It appears to be the Predominant Cultivar, quite likely a selection of pachanoi, although some people suspect it might be hybrid in origin.
it is what is common as San Pedro in the states

I've given out a lot of them in the past as gifts!
:)

Hey I have been growing this guy for a little while. Does this look to be the real pachanoi or the weak clone?

Attachments

• WP_20130305_003.jpg
    WP_20130305_003.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 0
Kash said:
Hey I have been growing this guy for a little while. Does this look to be the real pachanoi or the weak clone?
Weak/common clone.

One thing that a lot of the real ones have are these lines above the areoles, they can be horizontal or V shaped, the common clone has some but they are not pronounced, the common clone has a profile that has a different look than the typical pedro. And the spines look very distinct, rather different than those of typical pachanoi.

Here is a good image to show you, the true pachanoi is on the left.

Compare:
The side profile of real pachanoi is far smoother and less wavy or bumpy
the V shaped or horizontal lines are present on real pachanoi at nearly every areole
the areoles of real pachanoi tend to be a bit small and the spines are different, often finer and having a different symmetry.

it might seem tricky at first, but it is really easy to tell them apart
however one riomizquensis clone that is halfway decent does look a lot like the pachanot and is hard to ID as different if you do not know what to look for, but it too has some distinct traits...

Great info there AlbertKLloyd

AlbertKLloyd said:
It appears to be the Predominant Cultivar, quite likely a selection of pachanoi, although some people suspect it might be hybrid in origin. it is what is common as San Pedro in the states

So it's a weak/common clone...

Have you heard of Predominant Cultivar's with high mesc levels?

cyantific said:
Have you heard of Predominant Cultivar's with high mesc levels?
No.

I have heard of variable recovery ranging from 0.1-0.6% dry, often 0.1-0.3% I have also heard of Zero recovery from it as well. (compare this with 1-2% dry for decent and real pachanoi)

It does not have a high recovery, though it is alkaloid rich and very bitter, the bitterness is not mescaline.

One plant that looks like it but is different (a form of riomizquensis) is decent.

Thanks albert appreciate the ID however disheartening. Gonna find some true pacanoi seeds since it seems impossible to get a cutting of one. This pach poser is going in some soup now! :roll:

Now that you point out the smooth side profile compared to the bumpy I can see a very clear difference. Also with the small v's at each areoles. Great info. :thumb_up:

I got this cacti about 8 years ago from BBB. This cutting came off the original mother. It was advertised as a T. Bridgesii, wondering if it is? Some of the spines were clipped.

Attachments

• DSCN6337.JPG
    DSCN6337.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6343.JPG
    DSCN6343.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 0
cyantific said:
Cool, thanks dg.

Does anyone know the avg % of mesc in a real Pachanoi vs Bridgesii ?

Varies beyond derivable probabilities. Trouts notes list pachanoi's at in some rare cases, near 5% alkaloids. But all over the place in general. Bridgesii, imho, is almost the same, but consistently a bit more active, just because one cutting was not taken decades ago and propagated across the states (and worldwide) for ornamental/landscaping purposes. Its believed by many that that was a weak cut, and for all intents and purposes, bridgesii and "true", not commercial homeginzed weak genetic pachanoi, are not too different in potency.

A good read if you havent taken a look at it yet (trouts notes). Made me a bit more humble about how much i thought i knew about trichocerus cacti and the question of potency across species.

Today I bought this cristate cactus. I think it's beautiful. It looks like a trichocereus relative. I spent some time on google images to find a similar one, but still unsure which one it could be. From some pictures I saw it looked like a echinopsis cristate

Anyone here has an idea which species this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Also in this topic it became clear to me that there is a common clone aka ' PC' which is a lesser active strain. According to AlbertKLloyd's explanation (which I think is very clear) the more potent original ones have V's above the spines and are less bumpy. I got some fat rooted pachanoi's which have a very distinct v above the spines and have a smooth rib. But on the top of the cactus the rib gets a little more bumpy. Based on the attached picture would you guys identify this pachanoi as one of the more potent ones or the ' PC' .

Attachments

• IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I bought this "t. bridgesii" seedling recently, does it look like bridgesii that you all have grown from seed or is it too young to tell?

7bX440G.jpg

@a. lurker Although I'm no expert myself I think the same as shadowman-x. I had some peruvianus seedlings which looked a lot like yours. Also when I google for bridgesii seedlings they all seem to have longer spines even when they are that small

Just popping in to say i think people are way to quick to throw out the PC panchanoi ID on every panchanoi with short spines, I have heard stuff like pc aeroles are white where non pc are brown or red, but i dont think this is a good indicator either.

I have had some cactus ID'd on forums and everyone says PC, i in fact tested the cactus and it was very powerful, the most powerful ive had except for bridgesii.

Just saying i think some stuff that may look pc is in fact true panchanoi strong san pedro

Back
Top Bottom