• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Child's pose (yoga) red eyes

Migrated topic.

ghrue84

Rising Star
I've noticed that when I do the child's pose, and afterwards look in the mirror, my eyes are red. I also feel a weird sensation in my head that I can't accurately describe. Should I stop doing child's pose or is this perfectly normal?

Perhaps the correlation is mental and the causality disparate but coincidental

or maybe you smoke mad weed

I can't explain why but it is cool to see a yoga question here. Maybe it is because DMT has helped me reach deeper states of body awareness when doing yoga sober.

Are you new to yoga and the child's pose? Your body may need to get used to it (do it for less time and ease into it). This same thing can happen with inverted poses and mewbie folks can overcome it. If you have done yoga for some time there may be something going on with your body that turned this on, you may consider getting a checkup (blood pressure, etc). Or give it time and see if it corrects while eating healthy.

ys said:
Perhaps the correlation is mental and the causality disparate but coincidental

or maybe you smoke mad weed

A troll in the dmt nexus? Guess they're everywhere.

Loveall said:
I can't explain why but it is cool to see a yoga question here. Maybe it is because DMT has helped me reach deeper states of body awareness when doing yoga sober.

Are you new to yoga and the child's pose? Your body may need to get used to it (do it for less time and ease into it). This same thing can happen with inverted poses and mewbie folks can overcome it. If you have done yoga for some time there may be something going on with your body that turned this on, you may consider getting a checkup (blood pressure, etc). Or give it time and see if it corrects while eating healthy.

I have been doing the child's pose for years, it's one of the few poses I know. I don't know much about yoga. This pose just makes my lower back feel better. It used to hurt all the time and since I started doing this pose the back pain slowly ceased. Maybe I've always gotten these red eyes after doing it but never noticed since I never looked at the mirror. It just happened that I had a huge mirror next to me the last few times I did it and I felt a weird sensation in the head, maybe a lightheaded type of feeling, and for some reason I looked at the mirror. I have no idea how good or bad my diet is tbh, but I just try to listen to my body.

Child's pose, or Balasana has many variations in it's positions. sometimes the arms are in back behind the body, sometimes extended in front. all are acceptable; the idea is to find comfort and softness with few demands on the body.

there are variations with the legs as well. knees together and feet together is one way of doing the position, but this often puts pressure on the diaphragm and lower belly causing some constriction and compression which results in less freedom of breath.

how are your legs positioned?

i would suggest feet together in back with your knees as wide as possible; this allows the belly to drop down between the knees which results in almost no restriction of the breath.

if your breath was restricted at all, it might have caused some blood flow to the head as the head is placed low in this pose - sometimes, depending on the body type, the head can be lower than the heart which is ultimately an inversion. a subtle one, but still inverted.

another suggestion would be to place your forehead on a bolster or cushion or block (not as comfy) so that the neck is in line with the spine and the head does not hang down.

let me know if any of this helps...good luck!

namaste

Would need to see a picture of your variation but it makes complete logical sense that making your brain on level with the lowest point of your body with the torso above it would tend to cause more blood flow to your brain. The feelings you describe are totally normal but you really should do more research on the history of asanas and take a few more classes.

Mixing yoga with psychedelics is a fantastic way to "control" your trip but if you don't know what you're doing you'll amplify the effect of your compound to a nearly disturbing point.

Anyone who doesn't hold the Om mudra while tripping is missing out, imo.

ducdevil said:
Child's pose, or Balasana has many variations in it's positions. sometimes the arms are in back behind the body, sometimes extended in front. all are acceptable; the idea is to find comfort and softness with few demands on the body.

there are variations with the legs as well. knees together and feet together is one way of doing the position, but this often puts pressure on the diaphragm and lower belly causing some constriction and compression which results in less freedom of breath.

how are your legs positioned?

i would suggest feet together in back with your knees as wide as possible; this allows the belly to drop down between the knees which results in almost no restriction of the breath.

if your breath was restricted at all, it might have caused some blood flow to the head as the head is placed low in this pose - sometimes, depending on the body type, the head can be lower than the heart which is ultimately an inversion. a subtle one, but still inverted.

another suggestion would be to place your forehead on a bolster or cushion or block (not as comfy) so that the neck is in line with the spine and the head does not hang down.

let me know if any of this helps...good luck!

namaste

My knees are about 8 inches apart, my feet are touching each other forming a "v", and my ass is resting on top of my talons. My hands are forward as if I was diving into a pool headfirst. I think it does have something to do with the inversion. I just tried using a thin (5-7 inch tall) pillow in my forehead, but still got the red eyes however. Also I noticed a sensation right between both my eyebrows and on the top part of my nose.

Nope said:
Would need to see a picture of your variation but it makes complete logical sense that making your brain on level with the lowest point of your body with the torso above it would tend to cause more blood flow to your brain. The feelings you describe are totally normal but you really should do more research on the history of asanas and take a few more classes.

Mixing yoga with psychedelics is a fantastic way to "control" your trip but if you don't know what you're doing you'll amplify the effect of your compound to a nearly disturbing point.

Ok bud, first off, I have been doing the child's pose for years and this year is when I've first noticed this happening. I also need to address that this is happening while I'm sober because apparently some people here assume that I'm talking about tripping or smoking weed just because we're on the dmt nexus. I would have included that if that was the case. I have done yoga and stretching while tripping on mushrooms and on dmt, and have had no problems, on the contrary it felt very pleasant to do so. I've sat in the "Om mudra" position while on dmt trips without actually knowing that some people called it that. And not necessarily someone who doesn't do the "Om mudra" position while tripping is missing out. If they're learning from the plant teachers in whatever position they're in, whether it's sitting, laying facedown on the floor, dancing, walking, they're not missing anything. The fact that you enjoy something in a way doesn't mean everyone else is the same or should be the same.

so let me pose (no pun intended) something that comes from a different perspective...i think we've all been trying to "correct" this: what if you are doing something very good?

the sensation you mentioned...between the eyebrows on the forehead...implies you may be activating and stimulating your Ajna chakra - this would be a blessing, in fact.

red eyes on their own, if there's no discomfort, are really nothing to worry about in my opinion. sometimes i notice my eyes are red for no apparent reason, and eventually they clear up.

so, instead of trying to "fix" things...perhaps you are doing something VERY right!!! perhaps you are opening parts of you that were previously unreachable. perhaps you are awakening something deep within your consciousness, not on purpose but because it's time for it to happen. that's usually the way things happen when the Universe is involved.

i wish you well on your journey of discovery.

peace

ducdevil said:
so let me pose (no pun intended) something that comes from a different perspective...i think we've all been trying to "correct" this: what if you are doing something very good?

the sensation you mentioned...between the eyebrows on the forehead...implies you may be activating and stimulating your Ajna chakra - this would be a blessing, in fact.

red eyes on their own, if there's no discomfort, are really nothing to worry about in my opinion. sometimes i notice my eyes are red for no apparent reason, and eventually they clear up.

so, instead of trying to "fix" things...perhaps you are doing something VERY right!!! perhaps you are opening parts of you that were previously unreachable. perhaps you are awakening something deep within your consciousness, not on purpose but because it's time for it to happen. that's usually the way things happen when the Universe is involved.

i wish you well on your journey of discovery.

peace

Thank you for your words, perhaps nothing I'm doing is correct or wrong, perhaps it's just neither.
But it did feel nice to be caressed by such words. A humans weakness is always (or a lot of the time, or maybe just mine) compliments.

ghrue84 said:
Nope said:

Ok bud, first off, I have been doing the child's pose for years and this year is when I've first noticed this happening. I also need to address that this is happening while I'm sober because apparently some people here assume that I'm talking about tripping or smoking weed just because we're on the dmt nexus. I would have included that if that was the case. I have done yoga and stretching while tripping on mushrooms and on dmt, and have had no problems, on the contrary it felt very pleasant to do so. I've sat in the "Om mudra" position while on dmt trips without actually knowing that some people called it that. And not necessarily someone who doesn't do the "Om mudra" position while tripping is missing out. If they're learning from the plant teachers in whatever position they're in, whether it's sitting, laying facedown on the floor, dancing, walking, they're not missing anything. The fact that you enjoy something in a way doesn't mean everyone else is the same or should be the same.

I hope you haven't been doing it for years with your knees together, as this compresses your diaphragm and creates unneeded pressure in your spine.

I'm not surprised you've done yoga mudras instinctively, real yoga is a natural state of being. Your body is always pointing your towards it. That particular mudra dates back into deeeep history, originally from the Vedas which were probably intended to help people achieve psychedelic or enlightened states through a determined combination of yoga and philosophical contemplation. It's an interesting subject to research.

My point is you can amplify desired aspects of the experience, or "aim" it through yoga and mudras. Without some practice like this you're essentially just randomly launching to wherever everytime. This seems very obvious to me and is what I mean by "missing out".

but do what you like.

Back
Top Bottom