• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Desmanthus Illinoensis

Migrated topic.
entheogenic-gnosis said:
I apologize for being a nomenclature or grammar nerd, but the proper spelling of the plant you are interested in is "Desmanthus illinoensis"

-eg
No apology necessary man, minor things like that make a huge difference :3 i appreciate the heads up :)

It also considered good form to italicize Latin binomials and append them with authorship information, viz: Desmanthus illinoensis (Michx.) MacMill. ex B. L. Rob. & Fernald, although the italics won't work in thread titles, IIRC, and it's probably going a bit far for day-to-day talk. 😁

But correct spelling assists with searches, for one thing. Furthermore, different authors have been known to give the same binomial to entirely different plants. Sadly, an off-the-top-of-the-head example escapes me right now as I should have been physically asleep already several hours ago.

Mike-ologist said:
entheogenic-gnosis said:
I apologize for being a nomenclature or grammar nerd, but the proper spelling of the plant you are interested in is "Desmanthus illinoensis"

-eg
No apology necessary man, minor things like that make a huge difference :3 i appreciate the heads up :)

Again, no intention to be impolite, I always feel rude "correcting" others, but also understand that had others not done the same for me, I would be constantly making small mistakes. Thank you for understanding.

-eg

I strongly believe in consructive and destructive criticism. Your spelling correction was text book constructive criticism, and is recieved openly in the name of knowledge E.G.

On a more on topic note, D. Illinoensis contains Gramine which is toxic, how would one remove this?

Check the phalaris threads, gramine is insoluble in naphtha IIRC. And is gramine really that toxic to humans? What are the levels of gramine relative to those of the tryptamines in D. Illinoensis? Comparing the toxicity figures with the
"low levels of gramine" (https://www.scribd.com/doc/295029902/Desmanthus-leptolobus) suggests that it's not worth worrying about.

Note that D. leptolobus is (reliably) said to have more consistent levels of DMT than D. Illinoensis.

This is good info, thank you a lot :) i have a small D. Illinoensis on its third year outside, how long should it grow before i harvest rootbark?

Mike-ologist said:
This is good info, thank you a lot :) i have a small D. Illinoensis on its third year outside, how long should it grow before i harvest rootbark?

A 3 year old plant should have a huge root. But it may not be quite enough for an extraction. I'd start more. You can harvest them after the first year if you want, and each plant creates an enormous amount of seeds to grow more.

As far as gramine, idk how toxic it really is, or how much this plant contains, but I've never had a problem with the changa I've made from it, or from brews I've drank using it. Of course, that's not to say that there's no risk, just that I've never had any problems. But I think I might be a bit more adventurous than some when it comes to experimenting with the plants.

BundleflowerPower said:
Mike-ologist said:

A 3 year old plant should have a huge root. But it may not be quite enough for an extraction. I'd start more. You can harvest them after the first year if you want, and each plant creates an enormous amount of seeds to grow more.

As far as gramine, idk how toxic it really is, or how much this plant contains, but I've never had a problem with the changa I've made from it, or from brews I've drank using it. Of course, that's not to say that there's no risk, just that I've never had any problems. But I think I might be a bit more adventurous than some when it comes to experimenting with the plants.

Good info for sure. I will plant a small plot this spring

Judging by the available data, gramine is of small concern here. Nonetheless - TLC is your friend. Before ingestion, test your extract. We don't have enough data on the reliability of this plant, plus it is known to be variable.

Back
Top Bottom