• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Grow your own field of dreams

Migrated topic.
I'm all for growing local plants - but I live in a cold, wet country, so no acacia here, sadly. Don't suppose anyone would know where I might find out which plants are local to the UK/Britain, that I could sensibly cultivate?

Thanks in advance ...

I was at an heirloom seed festival today. I asked a local vendor about Phalaris (since it is a LOCAL species for me!), and his response was...

"WHY do you want to grow PHALARIS?!?!?!?! It's an INVASIVE SPECIES!!!!!"

And I was like, "Oh, um, a friend said they were quite ornamental... and great for sheep..." (and he was fortunately interrupted at this point)

Mmph. So there is caution to be taken with even local species as well.

What was Johnny Appleseed THINKING?!?!

oh god..phalaris is everywhere anyway..you not growing some isn't going to change that!...you could even go as far as saying that harvesting the local wild grass and seeds is helping to STOP the spread of it..well, maybe..

The interesting thing about non-native and invasive plants..is that half the plants here that are "native" were probly the former at one time...ecosystems adapt, and change, and grow..new species make new homes and old ones sometimes go away..not that we shouldnt try to keep things balanced..but we shoudnt forget that either..

Im putting my efforts into the wild phalaris..since it is everywhere..and i already have grass that i have been cultivating for over a year from seeds collected from that same wild grass as well..prob grow some brachys as well..but really the wild stuff i can get bags and bags and bags and bags of sooooo easily..

88 said:
I'm all for growing local plants - but I live in a cold, wet country, so no acacia here, sadly. Don't suppose anyone would know where I might find out which plants are local to the UK/Britain, that I could sensibly cultivate?

Thanks in advance ...
Desmanthus illinoensis is my best advice. Just harvest the roots when king Vinter knocks on the door, and plant new ones the next spring. You could also plant Phalaris, although they are much harder to extract from. Their root system would survive the winter, though.

Evening Glory said:
88 said:

Thanks in advance ...
Desmanthus illinoensis is my best advice. Just harvest the roots when king Vinter knocks on the door, and plant new ones the next spring. You could also plant Phalaris, although they are much harder to extract from. Their root system would survive the winter, though.

ive actually had phalaris come back after a very cold winter...and they didnt seed...so the roots CAN survive

Evening Glory said:
Desmanthus illinoensis is my best advice. Just harvest the roots when king Vinter knocks on the door, and plant new ones the next spring.

excellent - thanks for that evening glory!

Actually juding by jorkest's latest work (don't you just love him, he's the star of the nexus what with the BLAB + this new breakthrough under his belt)
Pharlais Brachystacy is the best bet now. at ~3% alkaloids its alot quicker growing than bundleweed and will probably be easier to collect. That being said, theres less flesh in a grass so you'd have to grow a wider area. the choice is yours :)

ms_manic_minxx said:
"WHY do you want to grow PHALARIS?!?!?!?! It's an INVASIVE SPECIES!!!!!"

This made me lol in my pants. It must be a terrifying nightmare for that guy,
laying awake sweating in his bed at night, fearing for the earth and all the invading species everywhere. ohnoes!

DAMN, had I been sharper on my feet, I should have offered to come and weed his garden. Or bazillion acre farm. 8)

@#)$(*@#)$(*_)@!#$@)$%*#@%_*)#$ *smacks forehead*

(He told me cool things about how moss is psychic, and individual moss organisms band together to create a superorganism to grow flowers in times of draught... made me wonder about lots of things, all DMT-inspired, but neither here nor there.)

Jorkest said:
Evening Glory said:

ive actually had phalaris come back after a very cold winter...and they didnt seed...so the roots CAN survive
Yeah, I know, that was exactly what I wrote! I have a lot of Phalaris arundinacea growing outside, the root system survives everything. I live in Norway, where it often gets -20 C or even lower during the winter, but it always grows back up the next year. They seed like crazy if they have deep enough soil to grow in, a meter is advised.

If they pull it off to push through another international ban, this time banning MHRB, then that is the signal that revolution should start.

UDV and Santo Daime took a stand and won.
I suggest we and our CEL should become an official and media-active organisation.
We could possibly use the help of members of churches like UDV and Santo Daime. Also we could ask them to join CEL, so all Entheogenic communities can stand together and be alot stronger.

I haven't checked the CEL-topic in a while, but is CEL as of yet merely a speculative organisation that "oughta come into existance"? Or is it allready an officially founded and recognised organisation?

Cause if it isn't, this bad Bouncing Bear Botanicals news should be the signal to get around officially founding CEL quickly.
I say:
-a CEL-Youtube Channel spreading our message,
-a CEL-site(could be a page of this site) spreading our message,
-International CEL-meetings, lectures and artistic/musical events spreading our message.
-handing out CEL-flyers containing our message in the streets.
-Getting into contact with international mainstream media channels to spread our message: New York Times, Algemeen Dagblad(Holland's foremost populair newspaper), Online mainstream newschannels, mainstream radiostation-newsprograms...etc

Have several hundred different acacia seed, and it is a bit daunting.
Since it's suggested to keep them inside threw the first two winters.
(Acacia seed can stay viable for about 20 years, so i got some time.)
Was completely out of grow space this year, so i will have to expand.
There is this shed i plan to take the roof off, and cover in clear plastic.

Back
Top Bottom